Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Gen T/A

2011 Prius

2nd Gen T/A

I should be picking one up in a day or two... Maybe three... I am eying a 1980 Trans, 4-Speed shift kit and a 6.6L. I know the 6.6L is not stock, hos can I tell it's a true 6.6L? Also if it's a real T/A? Anything I should look out for, such as prone rust spots? I will of course look over the body and frame rails.

Here's the one down the road.

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Man, that is a sweet ride. I love these models. If I didnt have a 4th gen, this is the one I want. I know a guy down the road from me with a silver 79 with a 6.6 in it....sweet! I can't tell you what to look for, but I know what catches eyes...lol

2011 Prius

Is it a 10th aniversery? My stephrandparents have one. They have tons of 2nd gens, but most of them are either in a garage, and have no rust, lol. But two are outside, but pretty much rusted appart.

Quote Originally Posted by muteki View Post
    Man, that is a sweet ride. I love these models. If I didnt have a 4th gen, this is the one I want. I know a guy down the road from me with a silver 79 with a 6.6 in it....sweet! I can't tell you what to look for, but I know what catches eyes...lol

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

2W87 should be the first 4 digits of the Vin if it's a true Trans Am.
    Also the Data Plate under the Hood (on the Drivers side cowl) should have WS4 on it.
    I had a `79 T/A for 7 yrs and they are great cars.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by 9T8W66 View Post
    2W87 should be the first 4 digits of the Vin if it's a true Trans Am.
    Also the Data Plate under the Hood (on the Drivers side cowl) should have WS4 on it.
    I had a `79 T/A for 7 yrs and they are great cars.
    Alright, thanks. How about the 6.6? What numbers should I look for and where on the block? In parts or sections rust prone? Weak spots, I should look for?

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Is it a 10th aniversery? My stephrandparents have one. They have tons of 2nd gens, but most of them are either in a garage, and have no rust, lol. But two are outside, but pretty much rusted appart.
    Im not sure. I have been trying to catch the guy outside to check his car up close. I have only seen him on the road even though he lives just down the street from me.

2011 Prius

I see, should go knock on his door, lol.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I remember my first '73 Trans Am had the rear window seal go bad and it allowed the trunk to fill with water whenever it rained. This lead to the rusting of the rear fenders, something that was pretty common on f-bodies in the late '70's and early '80's. My second '73 didn't have the rust there, just a bit on the roof that I was going to have fixed but I sold that car before I went into the Navy in 1985. I miss both of those cars, I still dream about them 25 plus years later, but my 4th gen would eat both of them no problem. Hope this helps.

Scott

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i thought you were getting rid of your t/a because of your back problems ...are you sure the 2nd gens will be any better ?

2011 Prius

Honeslty, yes it will be a bit of a problem. I like trucks and suv's they have a purpuse, but don't really need one. Yes the seats are nice in them. But I don't enjoy driving them, don't get a smile on my face. I will either buy new seats that are supportive in a couple a months. But my mom also own an interior shop. So I will probably looking into get the seats done with memory foam.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    i thought you were getting rid of your t/a because of your back problems ...are you sure the 2nd gens will be any better ?

Electric Blue Pearl
    2001 Trans Am

I see, should go knock on his door, lol.
    I live in Guam, I could do that...but depending on his nationality, it might be a bad thing.....So, I would at least like to see who he is, before I knock on his door.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Alright, thanks. How about the 6.6? What numbers should I look for and where on the block? In parts or sections rust prone? Weak spots, I should look for?
    For rust check the rear floor pan (T-top leaks) rear quarters over and behind the wheels. And in front of the wheels (under the flair) On the Cowl in the corners under the windshield, Rear Bumper support.
    On the 6.6 Assuming it's a real Pontiac engine look on the block under the left head for a 2 digit code. If you can post some pics of the engine bay as we may be able to help. Also if you can give us head cast numbers that would be helpfull their located on the center siamesed exhaust ports.

2011 Prius

For rust check the rear floor pan (T-top leaks) rear quarters over and behind the wheels. And in front of the wheels (under the flair) On the Cowl in the corners under the windshield, Rear Bumper support.
    On the 6.6 Assuming it's a real Pontiac engine look on the block under the left head for a 2 digit code. If you can post some pics of the engine bay as we may be able to help. Also if you can give us head cast numbers that would be helpfull their located on the center siamesed exhaust ports.
    I don't have any pics of the car, besides the one above. I should be buying it tomorrow if all checks out. So anyway you can tell me to spot if it's a true 6.6L?

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I don't have any pics of the car, besides the one above. I should be buying it tomorrow if all checks out. So anyway you can tell me to spot if it's a true 6.6L?
    If it's a Pontiac 400 the Block will have 400 cast in it on one of the Banks near the motor mounts but it's only visible from under the car.

2011 Prius

If it's a Pontiac 400 the Block will have 400 cast in it on one of the Banks near the motor mounts but it's only visible from under the car.
    What if it's an olds or any other 6.6L?

silver
    2002 ws6

What if it's an olds or any other 6.6L?
    i think the olds are gold and pontiac are blue--- this was the case in earlier years but unsure in the later ones. the olds 403 is a gutless turd. but then again everything in the mid-late 70's was.

silver
    2002 ws6

and if it's a 400 sbc it will look just like a 350 chev

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

If it's a Pontiac 400, or any other Pontiac size, you will put the oil in thru the valve cover. The Olds 403 and 350 has the oil fill in it's own tube right in the front of the engine. That's a real quick way to tell between the 2. Otherwise, like 9T8 said, the actual size is cast on the block, near the motor mount.

When I bought my '68 LeMans ragtop, the guy told me it had a 350, but the block told me otherwise, no I didn't correct him!

Black
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

since only 80 and 81's had 301, you know the engine has been swapped.. More than likely it is an Olds 403, over 80% of the t/a's in 79' were 403's (olds) with the excepetion being the SE's and pace cars.. In 78' there were alot more pontiacs 400's. Either way, they both are shitty engines ( i have a 403 and 78' model 400).. The Pontiac 400's were 220hp and the 403's were rated at 185hp.. Just look at the oil fill location.. Also remember that these
    years of cars were abused and used, so look closely... I have several 2nd gen cars, I know them well... Pricing should be 3500-5500 for rough condition, 6000-8000 for solid cars and 10k plus for cars that have been restored and 15k+ for original low mile surivors... Hope this helps.. Just go off the price guide and spend the rest $$ to restore the car, if needed..
    2001 WS6 Trans Am -Black/black,lt's,Corsa,cam,AFR's
    1980 Z-28 - Black w/ red stripes, 100% original
    1979 WS6 Trans Am -Black w/ red bird, 540/762hp
    1978 Trans Am - 400, Gold with dk gold bird
    1968 Camaro Pro-street -507/773hp, caged, tubbed
    1967 RS Camaro - Dk. Blue, white stripes, 468/476hp

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by gateman View Post
    since only 80 and 81's had 301, you know the engine has been swapped.. More than likely it is an Olds 403, over 80% of the t/a's in 79' were 403's (olds) with the excepetion being the SE's and pace cars.. In 78' there were alot more pontiacs 400's. Either way, they both are shitty engines ( i have a 403 and 78' model 400).. The Pontiac 400's were 220hp and the 403's were rated at 185hp.. Just look at the oil fill location.. Also remember that these
    years of cars were abused and used, so look closely... I have several 2nd gen cars, I know them well... Pricing should be 3500-5500 for rough condition, 6000-8000 for solid cars and 10k plus for cars that have been restored and 15k+ for original low mile surivors... Hope this helps.. Just go off the price guide and spend the rest $$ to restore the car, if needed..
    Thanks that helps well, it is beautiful and seen it driven around about once-twice a week. I know the engine had to be a change over. From what I seen so far, it looks to be in good condition. He was asking $8,500. It's been for sale for a while, I am like an hour away from Orlando, so it's kinda out there (not really), but in a private little area. I offered him $4,000 when I saw the add, as a joke. He replied and said, I will take $5,000. I was like ummm, sweet if all checks out and the frame and body is solid and runs like you say, I will be paying with cash. May still try to jew him down though. Also the nice thing, it's his wife's car and she wants a Corvette, lol. So it's be womanly driven.

Thread Information