Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

2000 WS6 Daily Driver

I bought a stock 2000 WS6 last Fall to use as my daily driver (in good weather), and I am looking for some tips to keep it in good condition. I'm not necessarliy looking to increase performance. I just want to know of any upgrades, mods or general advice that may extend the life of the car.

I just replaced the window motors, so I thought I'd see if there is anything else I can do before Spring hits.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

when it comes time to replace the clutch-be sure to upgrade your master/slave cylinder too. Then send a to GM's hydrolics dept for fucking that one up.

consider upgrading the shocks for a better ride quality. Low end: Bilsteins. High end: Koni's.

The interior window panels are prone to crack about 4" from the rear. There is an article around here somewhere that explains how to fix or prevent that. try a search-it's probably in the apperance section.

oh, and buy a bunch of custom car emblems from third_shift|studios LOL!

I mean, these cars are pretty stout-it's difficult to prevent minor things that everyone has been affected by. The CD player's clock will fade, the speakers will blow, the headlight motor will strip its gears. If you're like me, you'll lose a t-top or two on the road!

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Dude, that is the first time that i have heard about the crack, but I have the exact same thing...didn't know it was all that common. Definitely have lost a t-top on the road...lucky no one was behind me. Pretty sure the thermostat will go at some point as well.

The Baddest Astro Driver FreeBird89's Avatar

Fadeing Grey
    1994 Chevy Astro Van

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    when it comes time to replace the clutch-be sure to upgrade your master/slave cylinder too. Then send a to GM's hydrolics dept for fucking that one up.

consider upgrading the shocks for a better ride quality. Low end: Bilsteins. High end: Koni's.

The interior window panels are prone to crack about 4" from the rear. There is an article around here somewhere that explains how to fix or prevent that. try a search-it's probably in the apperance section.

oh, and buy a bunch of custom car emblems from third_shift|studios LOL!

I mean, these cars are pretty stout-it's difficult to prevent minor things that everyone has been affected by. The CD player's clock will fade, the speakers will blow, the headlight motor will strip its gears. If you're like me, you'll lose a t-top or two on the road!

Lol Thats crazy.

artic white
    1998 Formula

That damn dash crack for us guys down south

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

proper oil changes, change spark plugs, wires, trans fluid/diff fluid change..bottle of chevron fuel inj. cleane here and there

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Nosws6 View Post
    Dude, that is the first time that i have heard about the crack, but I have the exact same thing...didn't know it was all that common. Definitely have lost a t-top on the road...lucky no one was behind me. Pretty sure the thermostat will go at some point as well.
    how did you guys lose t-tops? did you forget to lock them in?

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

If you really want to keep your car from fading and door dings. Put a car cover on it when you are away for extended period. Like when your in the office. I know it not popular. It only takes 30 seconds to install and 45 seconds to roll back up and throw in the hatch. But, I'm positive it has saved my dash and paint over the past 10 years. My paint looks like new. It also helps if you wax your car every 6 months or so.

Of course the normal stuff, check air in tires, oils(all), air filter, fuel filter, water, brake fluid, lube latches/locks, lube head light gears, and clutch fluid regularly. If you like me you just end up changing the clutch fluid once a year with Hi Temp.

And of course use top grade gas.... clean the injectors every couple of years with an extra bottle of injection cleaner.

I use synthetic oils whenever I can .... Some say the tranny doesn't work as well with it ... But, it seems to shift better for me.

That's all the major stuff ...

Black
    2001 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    how did you guys lose t-tops? did you forget to lock them in?

No, I had mine locked in and the windows up, but I went over a dam on a windy day (~80 mph), started hearing a whistling sound above my window next to my t-top and all of the sudden it just popped out of the lock position and started flapping. I tried to hold on to it till i could slow down, then it just flew off and shattered into a thousand pieces on the road.

Good thing that they are easy to find. Picked one up at a salvage yard from a 97 camaro for about $150 (exact match).

Red
    2001 Trans Am

make sure you keep up with oil changes, flush the radiator fluid, change spark plugs when needed, air filters, fuel filters, etc.

Thread Information