2000 trans am wont do 110?

ok i just baught a 2000 trans am and it had exhuast and shit on it when i baught it it has 40,000 miles on it and once i get to 110 its like the car is governed out and wont go any faster its an automatic its the v8 so i woudlnt think theres a governonr i also think it might have 4.10 gears could that be y it wont go over 110 or is it a govenor or somthing i need help guys thanks

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

110 sounds fast enough for an 18 yr old.....i almost killed myself in an 87 firebird v6 numerous times when i was 18....havem take it off in 3 yrs..lol

yea ur right but is it a governor because y would a 5.7l v8 thats has 320 hp stock have a governor at 110

pewter

has a gov at 110 cuz your car didnt come with z rated tires....if u didnt get the wheel/tire upgrade option the car came with h rated tires or some crap..dont know specific details but its somthing along those lines...get a hypertech programer and u can take the gov off..or maybe a local speed shop will be able to do it for u cheaper...especialy if they specialize in fbodys

thanks well i see u live in ny i live in longisland i was wondering if u know of a place close by that does it??

pewter

nah..ask around in the eastern forum..im in roch ny...new era specializes in ls1s up here.....its about a 7 hr drive for ya though..LOL.im SURE theres a shop there

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    has a gov at 110 cuz your car didnt come with z rated tires....if u didnt get the wheel/tire upgrade option the car came with h rated tires or some crap..dont know specific details but its somthing along those lines...get a hypertech programer and u can take the gov off..or maybe a local speed shop will be able to do it for u cheaper...especialy if they specialize in fbodys
    All trans am's came with Z rated tires, did they not? i thought it was just firebirds that did not

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Car Tech in garwood nj....its probly bout 30-50 minutes away from ya....its one of the most well known places in new jersey....they only work on f-bodies....they do everyhing...its on north ave about a block down the street from pathmark....its worth the drive....if you need anything like directions or whatever just PM me.

Artic White
    96 Formula Firebird

The speedo in the govenered cars only goes to 110. The ones with the Z-rated tires go to 155.

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

The easiest way to remove/modify the governor is to use the Hypertech Power Programmer. You can find used ones in the for sale section of various forums. It will also allow you to firm up your shifts if you are so inclined, as well as change your shift points and top rpm.
    And no, not all TransAms came with Z-rated tires; it was an upgrade.

Pewter
    1999 TA M6

Is it a convertible? if so they were governed at lower speed
    99 Trans Am M6
    SLP lid/FRA/TBB/Comp 224/224 581/581 112LSA
    Comp 918s/Comp PRs/Hedman TorkStep LTs
    Custom Y/Exhaust/Pro 5.0

no its black and has t tops

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    my LT1 is governered right on 115mph. it is 5.7L and v8 too and auto!

u need a tuner to change delete that.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

The 4.10 gears are probably what's doing it. You're not gonna have alot of top end with those gears. If you want higher top end speeds you need to go down to 3.78 or 3.42 gears. I don't think any of the Trans Ams were governed at 110.

Black
    2000 T/A Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by supermando View Post
    The 4.10 gears are probably what's doing it. You're not gonna have alot of top end with those gears. If you want higher top end speeds you need to go down to 3.78 or 3.42 gears. I don't think any of the Trans Ams were governed at 110.
    People like you irritate me, giving newbies all the WRONG information. 4.10s in a 4L60E equipped LS1 will not bring the top speed down to 110. It's more in the neighborhood of 130ish, perhaps more with gears like that. And 3.78s?!?! I mean, come on! Do you even know wtf your talking about?, obviously not. 3.73s is enough for an A4 DD, no matter how mild the mods get (to a streetability extent).

As for the governer, it could be 1 of 2 thing, perhaps both. It either did not come with the Z-rated Goodyear Eagles (Or Firestone Firehawks for some of us). Or, it came with the 2 peice driveshaft assembly, which wouldn't be very safe to turn at triple digits on a rather long elapsed time. Or, It could be for both reasons. You can just as easily purchase the Hypertech plug-in programmer for $300-$400 (whatever it is these days), or you can send off your computer and have the software re-edited which would also take the governer off. People like Ion at madz28.com do good work with that.

If you do decide to, in fact, have the limiter removed, just remember to upgrade from the factory parts that were on there to make GM decide to build the limiter in there. The last thing you need, is to be doing 150+mph and having a tire blow-out on you, or a driveshaft split, flying down the road. And your only 18, so if you get a ticket or you wreck your car, I wouldn't reccommend telling us about it. It would just make some people on the board here that much more upset about our everyday rising insurance costs due to young reckless driving individuals such as myself .

Do a search on it, you'll be able to distinguish the fact from the fiction, and you'll get to realize who the idiots are, once you start learning. There's no such thing as a dumb question, but there are dumb answers, and I'm glad I was able to help in clearing that up. Don't let the ignorant fool you my friend.

~JonnyC!

P.S. Always make sure the conditions are safe when turning those kinds of speeds on public roads
    Last edited by SkreaminHawk; 08-22-2006 at 06:47 PM.

thanks for all ur help guys got them hypertech programmer and it went over 110 but i have a question i know my car has gears but idk if there 3.73 or 4.10 how can i tell? cause i wanted to program it with the programmer but im not sure which ones i have

Red
    WS6 M6 Vert

pull the cover and look for a stamp on the gear.
    change the fluid while your there.

Thread Information