2000 Trans Am

2000 Trans Am - feel heat coming into cabin

I have a 2000 Trans Am Ls1.

I noticed lately that after 15 minutes of driving I can feel heat coming into the cabin from under the dash.

I didn't have this before and it doesn't seem normal to feel this much heat around my feet.

The oil temp for the engine is normal, water temp is normal, the engine doesn't feel any hotter after driving.

My cigar/accy fuse always blows recently; does this have anything to do with it?

Any ideas about the heat from under the dash. No burning smell, just uncomfortable heat.

I installed lt headers few years ago but I dont think thats related.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sbarin76 View Post
    I have a 2000 Trans Am Ls1.

I noticed lately that after 15 minutes of driving I can feel heat coming into the cabin from under the dash.

I didn't have this before and it doesn't seem normal to feel this much heat around my feet.

The oil temp for the engine is normal, water temp is normal, the engine doesn't feel any hotter after driving.

My cigar/accy fuse always blows recently; does this have anything to do with it?

Any ideas about the heat from under the dash. No burning smell, just uncomfortable heat.

I installed lt headers few years ago but I dont think thats related.
    turn the a/c temperature selecter to blue(cool) it will stop. doesn't matter if the a/c or heater fan is on or not, it will come through.

I have no idea why it happens but it does, all I can think is that when the temp selecter is moved to red, a valve opens and the heat for the heater core in the lower dash leaks through into the cabin, maybe someone else who knows more about air conditioning/heaters will chip in.
    Last edited by justinmc978; 05-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

mine does the same thing, most of the time i have my ac blowing but if i dont want it on i just turn it all the way over to defrost and that makes it stop also.... I have a lot of heat coming up from the shifter area too.

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Lunatikgixxer View Post
    I have a lot of heat coming up from the shifter area too.
    also common, my olders cars have been standard, and I did it the redneck way, took out the center console, removed the rubber boot around the shifter, grabbed some pink fiberglass house insulation(all I had) punched a hole in the center (for the shifter) layed it down over the hole, and put it all back together, removed 90% of the heat coming through.

dynamat would have worked too, but I didnt want to spend the money..

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by justinmc978 View Post
    turn the a/c temperature selecter to blue(cool) it will stop. doesn't matter if the a/c or heater fan is on or not, it will come through.

I have no idea why it happens but it does, all I can think is that when the temp selecter is moved to red, a valve opens and the heat for the heater core in the lower dash leaks through into the cabin, maybe someone else who knows more about air conditioning/heaters will chip in.
    This. It happens to me too, sometimes I control the cars heat,cold by just turning the knob and not even turning on the a/c

2000 Trans Am

Problem solved. Thanks everyone. Just keep the knob at cool when ac is off; I never would of thought of that!

1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sbarin76 View Post
    Problem solved. Thanks everyone. Just keep the knob at cool when ac is off; I never would of thought of that!

lol yeah took me awhile to figure it out too

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Funny because this happened to me, but only after I hammered on it. Never did it before and was wondering why my feet were so hot! Then I used my brain and turned the knob

Thread Information