Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

2000 manual trans TA starting issues

A few days ago I stopped to get gas and when I went to start the car nothing happened. I could hear a single click from somewhere on the drivers side each time I turned the key over, but it would not start. After a few minutes of trying, it started right up. I then noticed my TCS OFF light was displaying on the dash. I tried to turn it back on, but could not. I drove home and killed the car, tried to start and the same thing - would not start, single click from drivers side each time key was turned over to start. I waited a few minutes and it started right up. I tried my TCS switch and it worked fine turning it both on and off. Went to work the next day, it started right up and it drove fine, no TCS problems, but my service engine soon light came on and stayed on. Started fine leaving work and SES light was still on. Tried to start today and so far, nothing. Still hearing the single click, so I had my daughter turn the key over so I could isolate the click sound. It is not in the engine compartment, seems to be under the drivers side dash, close to the firewall behind the brake master cylinder. I have a OBDII analyser that I hooked up to it and here is what it found -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBDII.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	23571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBDII 2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	23572Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OBDII 3.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	23573

I am no expert, but I know that primary code is not making the single click sound and keeping it from starting. I am not so sure about the secondary code - No Communication With Powertrain Control Module. Being a 6 speed, could it be a neutral safety switch? or something maybe with the ignition switch itself? Any help is appreciated. Also, the car has 94,000 and is stock with no mods other than a ram air induction box and hood, and it has a new battery (replaced one month ago).
    Last edited by black crowe; 01-14-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be a bad connection on the PCM. There are two large connectors that plug into the PCM -- it is located on the rear passenger side of your engine compartment. Disconnect the battery and then unbolt each connector in turn and carefully unplug it. Inspect the connectors and PCM for any sign of breakage or corrosion. Do not overtighten the bolts after you plug the connectors back in. Reconnect the battery and see what happens. Any aftermarket electrical accessories installed on the car?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Forgot to mention... the car may run like crap and stall when you first start it up again. This is normal and will go away within a short period of time.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Could be a bad connection on the PCM. There are two large connectors that plug into the PCM -- it is located on the rear passenger side of your engine compartment. Disconnect the battery and then unbolt each connector in turn and carefully unplug it. Inspect the connectors and PCM for any sign of breakage or corrosion. Do not overtighten the bolts after you plug the connectors back in. Reconnect the battery and see what happens. Any aftermarket electrical accessories installed on the car?
    Thanks pajeff02, I checked the PCM connections and they looked fine - no corrosion or visible damage. I have no aftermarket electrical accessories installed on the car. Also, I tried to start the car right after my original post, and it fired right up. Tried it half a dozen times and it started every time. Did find a vacuum hose leak while checking things. The hose between the intake and pcv valve. Going to replace it with a spare piece of hose, but was wondering if there is an OEM replacement for this hose?
    Last edited by black crowe; 01-15-2012 at 06:19 AM.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Agree with Jeff. Sounds like a bad connection somewhere. You might also check the battery terminals and make sure they're getting good contact with the battery posts, no corrosion.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The OE hose is an expensive sucker -- I bought one for our car and it replaces the entire PCV hose setup, not just the part that goes bad by the intake. I remember a thread on here somewhere in which a member utilized a spark plug boot to swap out the bad section. It apparently worked well so you may want to try it.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Forgot to mention... the car may run like crap and stall when you first start it up again. This is normal and will go away within a short period of time.
    Yea I had that problem when my battery took a random crap on me, I got a new battery and installed it which was at a gas station. Well I fired her up she acted like she was completely shot lol, idling really low sounding almost like she was going to die. Then I realized after she sat there for a min it picked up to normal.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by black crowe View Post
    Thanks pajeff02, I checked the PCM connections and they looked fine - no corrosion or visible damage. I have no aftermarket electrical accessories installed on the car. Also, I tried to start the car right after my original post, and it fired right up. Tried it half a dozen times and it started every time. Did find a vacuum hose leak while checking things. The hose between the intake and pcv valve. Going to replace it with a spare piece of hose, but was wondering if there is an OEM replacement for this hose?
    If it is the one I am thinking of, I had a hole in mine back in 2010, I went to the advanced auto the guy working the counter give me a 5/16(I believe this was the size) hose for free to replace it. He had the same problem on his 01 ss, which helped me perfectly cause I would have had no idea what size hose to get.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Mine acts the same some times. It is the switch on the clutch pedal. If I hold the pedal tight aganist the floor it won't start. If I let up just a hair it will start.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Mine acts the same some times. It is the switch on the clutch pedal. If I hold the pedal tight aganist the floor it won't start. If I let up just a hair it will start.
    A bad clutch switch wouldn't throw a PCM communication code. It is something to keep in mind though.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am M6

The car has been starting every since my original post. I am not sure what happened, but as long as it does not happen again, I am not going to worry about it. The codes are another story. I did get the pcv hose replaced and put in a new pcv valve while I was at it.

Thread Information