Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

160 degree stat.

I noticed that the water pump on my 2002 WS-6 was leaking slightly around one of the gaskets leaving a small puddle on the garage floor. I removed the pump today and figured since I had the coolant drained I would replace the thermostat. I ordered the new pump from autozone and should be in tomorrow am. I also ordered a 160 degree thermostat. Does anyone have any problem running the 160 vs the factory one. I'm wondering if this might trip the check engine light since the vehicle won't be running at the regular temp it was designed for. Also does anyone see any benefit in running the lower temp one for better preformance?

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

the only thing that it will "hurt" is that it the heater will may not work as great or take longer too warm you up. and the benefit of running a 160 stat is a cooler motor runs stronger....as heat is an engines enemy.

i havent seen anyones SES light trip with it. doesnt mean its impossible, but you should be fine.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

You won't trip any SES light.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

To get the most out of your new thermostat you will need to reprogram your fan settings.

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    To get the most out of your new thermostat you will need to reprogram your fan settings.
    Can I still use the 160 without reprograming the fan? Will the 160 cause the fan not to kick on resulting in possible overheating?

Black
    2002 Trans-Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    the only thing that it will "hurt" is that it the heater will may not work as great or take longer too warm you up. and the benefit of running a 160 stat is a cooler motor runs stronger....as heat is an engines enemy.

i havent seen anyones SES light trip with it. doesnt mean its impossible, but you should be fine.
    Thanks. I'm not too concern about the heat since I only drive this vehicle in the spring and summer. Rest of the year it's hibernating in the garage.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Black WS-6 View Post
    Can I still use the 160 without reprograming the fan? Will the 160 cause the fan not to kick on resulting in possible overheating?
    You can still use it, it won't cause adverse effects.

White
    1998 Trans Am

I have had the 160 for a couple yrs. Great in the TX heat but if the outside temp drops below 40 you lose your heater when driving and it's only slightly warm when parked idling. A 189 is better if you plan on using it in cold weather and want heat. Also fans are easy to program some shops will set them for you for a small charge or find someone with a handheld tuner there good for fan and tire changes but that is about it.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I went with a 180 degree thermostat in ours. Our temps generally range from around 185 to 194 depending upon speed and load. Stuck in traffic, on a hot day with the AC blasting, it climbed to 203. Still far better than the stock setup. Temps are being read with a scanner as our dash "temp approximator gauge" always reads 205, no matter what, once the engine is warmed up.

Impulse Blue
    2005 a4 GTO

question

Doesn't a lower temp engine adversely affect the cleaning ability of the heat activated detergents?
    2005 Impulse Blue GTO
    Kooks Longtube Headers (off-road mids) , SLP Loudmouth II Catback, Vararam OTRCAI, MSD Spark Wires, 238/242 .595, Trickflow 225cc Heads, SLP 25% UD Pulley, Breather, Elite Engineering Catch Can, 3200 TC,Hayden Trans Cooler, P&P TB, Dyno tune by Sunshine Performance

Red
    1967 Chevrolet El Camino

I am building a 1967 El Camino with a LS1 motor, My question is where do I locate the electric thermostat in the raditor top or bottom?
    Old Fart

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by OLD Fart View Post
    I am building a 1967 El Camino with a LS1 motor, My question is where do I locate the electric thermostat in the raditor top or bottom?
    Old Fart
    Electric thermostat? Are you referring to the temp switch to activate electric cooling fans?

Thread Information