Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

02 Trans Am vs. Exotics

hey guys i was just wondering, i saw a ferrari 360 modena around my college today and was wondering how our cars could stand up to a car like this or similar exotics?

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

stop light to stop light i would think with head, cam, radials, and gears would be abe to take em. they are more top end.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

ok but how would a stock t/a keep up, i know they would win but by about how much?

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

dont know but dont think it would be too pretty

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

haha ok, so i guess it would just be good to nod and wave and say nice car

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

0-60 in 4.5 seconds. according to wikipedia. lol But its a 3.6L V8 doesnt seem like it will eat you alive. Id race it and im stock lol

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i would race it for the hell of it. dont think it would be bad for short stoplight drags but the full quarter or a roll race it would be worse. i think most of the common exotics are 12 second cars.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am

yea i looked it up too, 400hp and 275 ft/lb out of that 3.6L, so we deff have more torque stock, but that thing revs to 8,000rpms good grief

Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

the ferrari owner probably doesn't have much off the line experience. more rolling starts on long back road stretches so unless it has F1 gearing and has some kind of launch program you'd stand a chance.

well unless a student owns one, then he might.

Pewter
    '99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by thiscatiskool View Post
    ok but how would a stock t/a keep up, i know they would win but by about how much?
    buslengths

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

with their variable timing...they pretty much have a flat power "curve" if you want to call it that..while your spending 2k+ rpms trying to get to peak..he will have already been at peak for 2k rpms..then when you shift at 5600....he will still be pulling REAL hard until 7600+ you will get smoked...if they have a launch program..you might as well put the car in reverse.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Challenge him to a footrace....that way you stand a chance.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    with their variable timing...they pretty much have a flat power "curve" if you want to call it that..while your spending 2k+ rpms trying to get to peak..he will have already been at peak for 2k rpms..then when you shift at 5600....he will still be pulling REAL hard until 7600+ you will get smoked...if they have a launch program..you might as well put the car in reverse.
    Let's not make them out to be more than they are.

Here's some test info on an 02 model. The main advantage is with the curb weight. An 02 zo6 would eat this car's lunch.

I like ferraris probably more than most but a stock a4 LS1 with a 3500 stall and sticky tires would be right there with this ferrari:

http://ferrari.jbcarpages.com/Modena/2002/index3.php

My LS1 only has headers, intake, slp lid, and 85mm tb and will run close to the car in this test. I have a tci 3500 stall in my garage that I have not installed yet. I bet I would kill this car if I installed it and threw on some drag radials.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jmadden View Post
    Let's not make them out to be more than they are.

Here's some test info on an 02 model. The main advantage is with the curb weight. An 02 zo6 would eat this car's lunch.

I like ferraris probably more than most but a stock a4 LS1 with a 3500 stall and sticky tires would be right there with this ferrari:

http://ferrari.jbcarpages.com/Modena/2002/index3.php

My LS1 only has headers, intake, slp lid, and 85mm tb and will run close to the car in this test. I have a tci 3500 stall in my garage that I have not installed yet. I bet I would kill this car if I installed it and threw on some drag radials.
    i don't think he is making them out more than they are... the cams in them are amazing...

a high 11 low 12 second car vs a low to mid 13 second car would make us look slow...

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i don't think he is making them out more than they are... the cams in them are amazing...

a high 11 low 12 second car vs a low to mid 13 second car would make us look slow...
    read the test data that I linked to http://ferrari.jbcarpages.com/Modena/2002/index3.php

an 02 360 runs high 12s

yes indeed high 11s makes stock ls1s look very slow

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jmadden View Post
    read the test data that I linked to http://ferrari.jbcarpages.com/Modena/2002/index3.php

an 02 360 runs high 12s

yes indeed high 11s makes stock ls1s look very slow
    excuse my french..but fuck 1/4 mile times..he is talking about street racing..after the 1/4 its bye bye..not to mention you said a stalled and intake/exhuast car can stick with a stock car..ehh of course..not trying to be mean by the way..if i come off that way i apologize
    Last edited by shady milkman; 09-10-2008 at 12:51 PM.

Red
    99 Trans Am, M6

360's are all top end cars built for a track. Off the line u may take a quick half of length, and then once he hits 8,000 rpm it's all over.

Silver
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    excuse my french..but fuck 1/4 mile times..he is talking about street racing..after the 1/4 its bye bye..not to mention you said a stalled and intake/exhuast car can stick with a stock car..ehh of course..not trying to be mean by the way..if i come off that way i apologize
    Screw you man
    Just kidding. No offense taken..... just having a friendly debate. Don't get me wrong, I love ferraris and hope I can afford a nice used one when I retire. My point is that some are not nearly as fast as people think. I'd love to find a stock 360 modena and show him my tail lights in a 1/4 race. BTW 1/4 mile is how I roll and if I can stay ahead of a ferrari through a quarter I'll hit the brakes, chuckle to myself, and give him a thumbs up as he flys by.

Oh and I said that a stock ls1 with just a stall and sticky tires would run with a stock 360 modena (in a quarter of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
    360's are all top end cars built for a track. Off the line u may take a quick half of length, and then once he hits 8,000 rpm it's all over.
    Making power at high rpms does not make that much difference. The fact is that it does not make great power at 5k rpms and needs to pull 8500 in order to make around 400 horsepower. Take for example an 02 LS6 5.7L vette (z06). The "lowly" pushrod 5.7 makes just as much horsepower and more torque than the modena. Consequently the LS6 vette will whip the 360 modena through the 1/4 mile and beyond and it only needs to rev to a bit more than 6000 rpms to do it.
    GM High Tech Performance Magazine tested an ls1 f-body with a six speed. They ran a 12.9 @ 109 mph bone stock (I think they did pull out the air filter). That would be a decent race with a modena and could come down to driver error. (Most likely the ferrari would win) Granted most stock LS1 cars will run around 13.4 @ 105ish mph but still..... not all that much slower than a modena.

I'd be more worried about getting beat by a sedan such as these two:

M5 BMW and Mercedes CLS55................. It just hurts more when they have 4 doors

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s_pricing.html
    Last edited by jmadden; 09-10-2008 at 02:36 PM.

red
    1999 Firehawk

In a street race I think it would be close, ferraris are more about balance and feel. In a street race the ferrari is totally out of it's element, most ferrari owners aren't going to abuse their drivetrains in a street race, they might play with you but their not going launch the car hard. The semi autos are huge dollars to fix.

Now a Lambo gallerdo supperleggera (I think that's it) that's a monster, my wife delivers mail to a lambo owner, he has the roadster with carbonfibre body, 650hp with all wheel drive. This guy loves cars, buys them for driving not posing, he says the lambo is a large heavy brute no finesse just power, large rubber and 4 wheel hook up.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by mike13 View Post
    In a street race I think it would be close, ferraris are more about balance and feel. In a street race the ferrari is totally out of it's element, most ferrari owners aren't going to abuse their drivetrains in a street race, they might play with you but their not going launch the car hard. The semi autos are huge dollars to fix.

Now a Lambo gallerdo supperleggera (I think that's it) that's a monster, my wife delivers mail to a lambo owner, he has the roadster with carbonfibre body, 650hp with all wheel drive. This guy loves cars, buys them for driving not posing, he says the lambo is a large heavy brute no finesse just power, large rubber and 4 wheel hook up.
    steal it...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information