Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

'00 Formula...good deal?

I found another car, I'm going to see it Wed. So far it sounds like a keeper.

It's a '00 Formula with just under 65k miles. It's a A4 with T-Tops, and has 17" aftermarket wheels and new tires. I'm not sure what the wheels look like, the seller said that they came with the car when he bought it and that they're chrome and look good on the car. I haven't seen pics yet, so I don't know.

The car is loaded, traction control and power everything, and is NBM with tan leather. Seller says it's very clean, he hasn't had one this nice in a long time. It's a dealer, btw.

Price is 10k.

Assuming a clear carfax and that the car is as clean as he says it is, hows the price sound?

I've always been partial to the Formulas, I had a '98 back in '00 that I miss like crazy. I'm excited tosee it, and I'm hoping I won't be let down.

Thanks!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Really? 22 people read this and no one has any opinion whatsoever?

I was just looking to hear what people thought, I know the blue book values go out the window most of the time on these cars, I was just hoping to get some input before I look at it.

Black
    99 SS

sounds pretty good priced and low miles i say go for it man

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    I found another car, I'm going to see it Wed. So far it sounds like a keeper.

It's a '00 Formula with just under 65k miles. It's a A4 with T-Tops, and has 17" aftermarket wheels and new tires. I'm not sure what the wheels look like, the seller said that they came with the car when he bought it and that they're chrome and look good on the car. I haven't seen pics yet, so I don't know.

The car is loaded, traction control and power everything, and is NBM with tan leather. Seller says it's very clean, he hasn't had one this nice in a long time. It's a dealer, btw.

Price is 10k.

Assuming a clear carfax and that the car is as clean as he says it is, hows the price sound?

I've always been partial to the Formulas, I had a '98 back in '00 that I miss like crazy. I'm excited tosee it, and I'm hoping I won't be let down.

Thanks!
    bought mine with 54k on the clock for $13,500 two years ago. all stock original. same deal, just no ASR.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Good deal, go for it. I love that color

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Lots of dealers around here blow their cars up to be bad ass. Take for example when I was looking for my first firebird, guy in thorton said this black top maroon red firebird was in perfect shape, right? I get there and the damn thing is rock chipped to hell, the top is rusting because it was a Hawaii rental car. Ugh. Just take my advice and take what he says with little regard, those dealers are all out to make their commission and they'll do anything to sell cars. Thats the reason I bought my T/A private party.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Lots of dealers around here blow their cars up to be bad ass. Take for example when I was looking for my first firebird, guy in thorton said this black top maroon red firebird was in perfect shape, right? I get there and the damn thing is rock chipped to hell, the top is rusting because it was a Hawaii rental car. Ugh. Just take my advice and take what he says with little regard, those dealers are all out to make their commission and they'll do anything to sell cars. Thats the reason I bought my T/A private party.

Oh, trust me, I know. I'm going to see it, so I'll be the judge on how nice it is. Hopefully it's not a waste of time.

Thanks for the replies, btw.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by Vertibird54 View Post
    Saw the car today. It really IS very clean. The interior looks near mint, it's tan and I couldn't find any stains anywhere, and the leather on the driver's seat is in great shape, no rips or tears at all. Mirrors and driver's seat work, and the A/C blows cold. Fogs and headlights work just fine too.

Outside looks great, no dings or dents, just a few minor surface scratches that look like they could be buffed out. Drivers door has a few chips in it on the edge, it looks like it was opened into something at one point. I have the same damage on my Jeep actually, looks like touchup paint would do the trick.

There are a few scrapes under the nose, looks like from parking lot barriers. You can't see them from above though, just below.

Tires are pretty good, wheels are UGLY though, at least IMO.

Drives really nice, seems nice and tight, no rattles.

It's also bone stock, except for the wheels. Not even a lid or aftermarket stereo.

Only thing that concerned me was a kind of whirring noise coming from underneath the hood. I popped the hood and tried to figure out what it was, but couldn't trace it. Sounded like a sucking noise almost, but it also had a whirring, rotating sound to it, if that makes any sense.

He's firm on the 10k price, but it seems fair. Book retail is about 12,700.

I think I'm going to go for it.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

Saw the car today. It really IS very clean. The interior looks near mint, it's tan and I couldn't find any stains anywhere, and the leather on the driver's seat is in great shape, no rips or tears at all. Mirrors and driver's seat work, and the A/C blows cold. Fogs and headlights work just fine too.

Outside looks great, no dings or dents, just a few minor surface scratches that look like they could be buffed out. Drivers door has a few chips in it on the edge, it looks like it was opened into something at one point. I have the same damage on my Jeep actually, looks like touchup paint would do the trick.

There are a few scrapes under the nose, looks like from parking lot barriers. You can't see them from above though, just below.

Tires are pretty good, wheels are UGLY though, at least IMO.

Drives really nice, seems nice and tight, no rattles.

It's also bone stock, except for the wheels. Not even a lid or aftermarket stereo.

Only thing that concerned me was a kind of whirring noise coming from underneath the hood. I popped the hood and tried to figure out what it was, but couldn't trace it. Sounded like a sucking noise almost, but it also had a whirring, rotating sound to it, if that makes any sense.

He's firm on the 10k price, but it seems fair. Book retail is about 12,700.

I think I'm going to go for it.
    Sounds like you hit a pretty good deal if its in that good of shape. I envy you.

As for the noise coming from under the hood, is the factory airbox sealed up tight? Check all the hoses and boxes leading to the intake. theres a possibility that one of these items is punctured. If it all checks out, try to see if you can locate which side the sound is coming from.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Thumbs up Good Deal

Maybe the smog pump. When you go back with the money, make them run a code download and check events. If it is, he should replace it N/C. I assume it's doing it while idling and driving.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the whirring noise sounds like the AIR pump running. it runs for about 1 minute at start up. the sucking noise sounds like the IAC motor open at start up as well.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I heard the noise when he first pulled up, the car had been running already. I wasn't familiar with the area, so he met me with the car right off the highway. I also heard it when I came back from the test drive, and I'm pretty sure I heard it during the drive.

Thanks for the info, I'll definitely have them check it out. Is that a big dollar item?

The engine light wasn't on, so if there was a problem with the pump would it still show up?

Vertibird, thanks for the tip. Now that you mentioned it, my Olds was making a similar sound at one point, I found that the intake hose was partly off the throttle body.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

I've been watching these cars for a couple months now, and I guess prices are starting to drop a bit because fall will be here soon. The car you are looking at sounds like a fair deal, especially if it's local. I would tell the seller you want to take it to a local shop for an inspection. I'm sure the noise you describe is something simple. Also make sure you run a Carfax on it.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by VTR99 View Post
    I've been watching these cars for a couple months now, and I guess prices are starting to drop a bit because fall will be here soon. The car you are looking at sounds like a fair deal, especially if it's local. I would tell the seller you want to take it to a local shop for an inspection. I'm sure the noise you describe is something simple. Also make sure you run a Carfax on it.
    Do the prices of the cars in the fall drop down that much?

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I got my 2000 T/A with 48k on it for 10700 at the end of last winter.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

Absolutely, if you watch performance car prices over the course of a year they tend to peak in late spring or early summer. In late summer (like now), they start to drop a bit. As fall sets in prices start to drop even more, and by the dead of winter they are dirt cheap in comparison because buyers are not looking. Of course it all depends on how bad the seller needs to get rid of the car. In most cases the seller doesn't put the car up for sale unless he really wants to get rid of it.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I really want one lol, having trouble finding any good deals.

Red
    2002 TA WS6

I really want one lol, having trouble finding any good deals.
    I guess it depends on how much you can spend, and what you consider a good deal. I was just looking at the classifieds on this list, and that 99' Z28 6M with less than 30,000 miles, and a ton of mods for $12,500 looks like a very good buy. If I weren't such a Trans Am fanatic I would jump on it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

I did a google search, these are the wheels on the car:

http://www.car-rims.com/detail.aspx?ID=61

Not my taste, they'll definitely be for sale if I get the car.

Montego Blue
    '07 BMW 328Xi Coupe

I did a google search, these are the wheels on the car:

http://www.car-rims.com/detail.aspx?ID=61

Not my taste, they'll definitely be for sale if I get the car.

Thread Information