Blue
    1998 Trans Am

`98 T/A knock sensors

okay i have a `98 T/A and when i first got it i already started to mod it...headers/exhaust wires, plugs, NOS, ram air raptor hood, 160 thermostat, 3.73 gears, eibach springs....well anyways at the time when they came out with the LS1 the factory didnt know that the knock sensors were garbage and when i put the strut bar, sub frame connectors and roll bar in the car was stiff and still is w/ the same mods but those knock sensors ROB me of power like crazy and i can tell becuz the vibrations retard the timing of fuel and blah blah blah...My car ran 11.7 @ 133MPH when they didnt bang....after `98 they replaced them and put new ones in the T/As cuz they sucked...i wanna replace mine wat do i do?? get 1999 knock sensors or what cuz i want all my power??

White
    1998 Trans Am

There's a few things to help the stock replacements. I used 3M self adhesive 1/4" foam inside the sensor holes to help muffle the noise & they can be tuned out some with HP tuners or if you have a tuner, they can turn the noise levels down.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

you can upgrade your sensors and harness to a 99+ which is what I did. Still didn't solve my problems completely so I desensitized them with tuning which helped some more. How much KR are you seeing? It also pulls spark timing and not fuel.....just so you're aware.
    Also, are you 100% that it's false knock and not real knock? Knock on spray can end in a very bad way. I would make sure your'e not a little lean or running too much timing on the juice. How much timing are you running and how big of a shot?

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    you can upgrade your sensors and harness to a 99+ which is what I did. Still didn't solve my problems completely so I desensitized them with tuning which helped some more. How much KR are you seeing? It also pulls spark timing and not fuel.....just so you're aware.
    Also, are you 100% that it's false knock and not real knock? Knock on spray can end in a very bad way. I would make sure your'e not a little lean or running too much timing on the juice. How much timing are you running and how big of a shot?

well when i rev it and hold it at 1600 RPM the car vibrates alot and its noticable so im guessing its real and i took my juice out a year ago and isn't going back in. I want to absolutely eliminate KR because my car isnt running peak obviously. I want to find a way so my car can run 100% please help

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ls1robert View Post
    well when i rev it and hold it at 1600 RPM the car vibrates alot and its noticable so im guessing its real and i took my juice out a year ago and isn't going back in. I want to absolutely eliminate KR because my car isnt running peak obviously. I want to find a way so my car can run 100% please help
    that sounds more like a miss and not KR. You should find someone that can data log the car and see what's going on there.

Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    that sounds more like a miss and not KR. You should find someone that can data log the car and see what's going on there.
    no it is the knock sensors.....wow these things suck cant i juss take em out and not put any back in?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how many degrees of timing are they pulling? My point is unless you know for sure what's going on you're just guessing at the problem. Since you have a 98 you may have the standard 3 degrees that they like to pull but 3 degrees wouldn't even be noticeable seat of the pants wise and won't make the car vibrate.....I'm still going with a miss which could be plug/wire related or fuel related.
    You will be a step ahead of the game to find someone that can log the car and see what's going on.

Thread Information