Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Firehawk

$$$ to spend on some Mods, coming back from IRAQ

Hey All. I am coming back from Iraq soon after doing some contract work, not military, and got some extra cash to throw at the TA. Screw the girlfriend! It pains me to be away from my car! Looking for some suggestions. I was thinking in the area of 3-5K.

Currently just have the norm, Lid, K&N, Pacesetter Heads and Magnaflow Cat back. Not sure whats next. . . Cam and a Tune? Upgrade the rear end, Stiffen up the car and brakes. Not sure what the best order would be or what the max I could do with the 3-5K.

Somewhat of a Noob learning with Low performance knowledge. Any suggestions guys!?
    2002 Firehawk #478 25K Miles Stock . . . . For now.

RIP: 2002 TransAm WS6 M6 Black on Black 32K miles SLP Lid and Bellow.Pacesetter Headers, Magnaflow CatBack, QA1 Coilovers, SFC's, Rear LCA's, STB, Panhard Bar

Larry Dingleberry Racing

Black
    1998 Trans Am

you deff. need some sfc and i would go get the tb port&polish cam tune and maybe an ls7 clutch or something may wanna look in to gears maybe 4.10's or something but thats just one mans opinion doesnt mean it means anything and im sure there is someone else out there who could help you alot more then i could

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

welcome back , glad to see you back
    UMI sfc,whisper lid,k-n,diablo,shift kit,kooks long tubes-N-y-pipe,Borla 3" cat-back,power bond underdrive pulley,msd wires,front- baer gt brakes, slotted and drilled rotors , braided lines,tuned and dyno'd.345 HP and 354 torque

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

SFC's yes. Stiffen that puppy up get your suspension right and then put the power to her.I've done all I am going to do right now until I get full suspesioon done. that again is just one man's opinion.I figure if your suspension is set up to take the abuse of the power you want to put at it first you save yourself alot of trouble later.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

do you want to go fast in a striaght line or through curves?

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by kris6273 View Post
    you deff. need some sfc and i would go get the tb port&polish cam tune and maybe an ls7 clutch or something may wanna look in to gears maybe 4.10's or something but thats just one mans opinion doesnt mean it means anything and im sure there is someone else out there who could help you alot more then i could
    Thanks for all the comments, you an Joker made some good points on the SFC's, stiffen up a bit at least to get started. I think the cam and a tune would be a good start too. I am not knowledgeable about rear end ratios at all and was just "studying "about the Throttle Body too.

THird Shift, I have not got into striaght line Drag Racing, Mostly want to make my car faster for city/Highway Driving, some more stability would be good.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by joker View Post
    welcome back , glad to see you back
    Thanks! But I am still out here in the middle of Nowhere till about Mid August. I thought TX was hot, but it has got up to 120 here and that is not the worst. Can't wait to get back and drive my Car!

Red
    98 Trans Am

Welcome back, im in the military so i know. It dont matter if your ciivilian or Military, it tough.

Anyway, definatly suspension and chassis first, you could have all the power in the world but no point if its wasted in tire smoke, unless thats what you want then cool. Just like a house, from the ground up.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

If your planning on going all out with a cam and tune you should prolly avoid dumping $$$ into you gears, With that kinda power your gonna destroy the 10 bolt anyway. Go with a Moser 9" or 12 bolt.

SFCs, Lower control arms, Relocation Brackets and some wider lighter wheels with some better tires.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Thanks guys, looks like the SFC's and the suspension is a must so I dont twist the car up. ANy suggestions on what brands/types to get for suspension?
    Any thing to consider for the Moser 9" vs the 12 Bolt?

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by TX02TRANSAM View Post
    Thanks guys, looks like the SFC's and the suspension is a must so I dont twist the car up. ANy suggestions on what brands/types to get for suspension?
    Any thing to consider for the Moser 9" vs the 12 Bolt?
    UMI is a good brand and they are cheaper. get LCA and PHB along with the SFC.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    UMI is a good brand and they are cheaper. get LCA and PHB along with the SFC.
    +1
    I agree UMI is the way to go.

Black
    2002 Firehawk

Thanks for the advice guys. UMI looks like the brand I will be going with for the SFC and STB. Maybe I am getting "Mod happy" and should not be doing 10 mods all at once. Do a little by little and see what I like.

I was thinking just start out on the suspension and get SFC's and the STB.
    OR should I do more? Or should I be doing more such as the shocks, Panhard bar, at the same time.

There is a local shop here that does Mostly F Bodies that I think will be able to do all the install for me for a good price when I get back.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Cam, tune, clutch and QA1 or koni on all four corners

just my .02

black
    1999 ws6 trans-am

i have the umi sfc and stb you can put both of them in in less 1 hour. but you kinda need a lift to do the sfc. the suspension has to be loaded. it is 12 bolts toatal for both, could not be easier

Black
    2000 T/A WS6

imagine that im in iraq too. coming home soon! before dumping alot of power to it i would take the advice, rear end, suspension then go nuts with power, it will save you alot of headach in the end.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I did UMI (see signature) I did the bolt on but you can all was grind em and then weld em. Its a notice able improvment in handling and launching. Eventually I wanna get the frontend suspenstion stuff from UMI. Their road race K-Memeber looks real good. Extra support built into it. Upper and lower A-Armers too. These are alittle more expensive however and require money.... which i dont have right now.
    Turbo build 99.9% complete

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Subframe connectors are kind of pointless... Talk to sam strano at stranoparts.com A set of koni's makes the cars awesome. Unless your going CRAZY on power you don't need sub frame connectors these cars aren't easy to bend like mustangs. they just add weight to the car.... sam is great with explanations call him if you can if not email.... he's a 4 time SCCA champ... and a hell of a nice guy. STB is a waste of money too. unless you want something to lean on.

Depending on your area you might not want to lower the car. but Koni's and Strano sway bars are awesome. Then see where your at from there... if you have any wheel hop etc.

I'd probabally add a B&M or Pro 5.0 Shifter

That stuff will put you at about 1500. after that i'd put a cam in the car and have a good computer tune done. you'll have a bad assed streat car that can go in a strait line well and out corner most cars. If you still have change ( or wheel hop go with lower control arms and then some hawk HPS brake pads)

I shopped around here and on LS1Tech ( who has more traffic in the for sale section) and have found most of what I wanted at 1/3rd to 1/2 off .

Good luck! I've sept most of the spring 3 or 4 hours/day researching it... and thanks for the service to our country.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    Subframe connectors are kind of pointless... Talk to sam strano at stranoparts.com A set of koni's makes the cars awesome. Unless your going CRAZY on power you don't need sub frame connectors these cars aren't easy to bend like mustangs. they just add weight to the car.... sam is great with explanations call him if you can if not email.... he's a 4 time SCCA champ... and a hell of a nice guy. STB is a waste of money too. unless you want something to lean on.

Depending on your area you might not want to lower the car. but Koni's and Strano sway bars are awesome. Then see where your at from there... if you have any wheel hop etc.

I'd probabally add a B&M or Pro 5.0 Shifter

That stuff will put you at about 1500. after that i'd put a cam in the car and have a good computer tune done. you'll have a bad assed streat car that can go in a strait line well and out corner most cars. If you still have change ( or wheel hop go with lower control arms and then some hawk HPS brake pads)

I shopped around here and on LS1Tech ( who has more traffic in the for sale section) and have found most of what I wanted at 1/3rd to 1/2 off .

Good luck! I've sept most of the spring 3 or 4 hours/day researching it... and thanks for the service to our country.
    I have to disagree about the SFCs being pointless.
    They made mine way more stable under launching and cornering, and hard brakeing.
    I had mine dynoed at 281hp and I know thats kinda low. I have a body flex dent behind my drivers side door from launching it at the track on street tires, with out SFCs. Also the frame was twisted and I had to have it straighted at a body shop before I had the SFCs welded into place. The car has never been ran at the track b4 me and has never been into any wrecks. The is no scratches near the dent and its low enought that no one could have door dinged me and no paint transfer so it wasnt an impact dent.

The STB on the other hand is kinda wothless tho..... but it looks cool

Black
    2002 Firehawk

+1 on the SFC's from what I have read and heard, Those will be a definite as I heard the same thing about frame flexing. Still new here and I see there is a lot I can do to stiffen up the car and make the handling better. SO what all should I do to start off.
    Looks like SFC's for sure, LCA's, PHB, Koni's.
    Do I need to do the sway Bars right away, should I just do the rear end too or wait till I gor for the cam and tune there.

Just trying to summarize, that way I can possibly get some good deals, buy some parts and have them waiting for me when I get home.

Thread Information