Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2000 Z28

Xenon Headlights

Hey guys, I was bored at work today so I was looking around ebay to try and find any steals on parts when I came across a set of xenon bulbs. It says it doesn't need a conversion kit or anything which is nice, but as far as my experience goes when I first got my z28 it had aftermarket halogen's that burned the wiring harness for the headlights on one side so i'm a bit skeptical about getting new bulbs regardless of the price. Just looking for suggestions on what to do since I would like some bright headlights.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Parts...3A1|240%3A1318

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

If they are the same wattage as stock you should have no problem.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

those are blue lights....
    not xenon gas powered lights

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Yep sorry those are junk and you'll just end up seeing even less of the road.

White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JAGUAR5822 View Post
    Yep sorry those are junk and you'll just end up seeing even less of the road.
    Thanks, I kinda figured they would be. Anybody know of some decent headlights though that would work well on a tight budget?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

You basically have 2 options, you can get higher wattage (high quality like Hella) bulbs, but they could fry the wires or even melt the enclosure due to the higher heat and power requirements. I'm not familiar with the limitations here so search around.

The second option is real HID's, on a budget, any cheapo kit on ebay is going to work the same. The most common available are 35watt and 50 or 55watt, which is going to be quite a bit brighter. The best temperature as far as light output is between 4.3k-6k depending on your preference. Any lower or higher than those and you start losing a lot of light output. Just search on ebay and pick a seller you're comfortable with based on feedback. I would reccommend buying from someone in the states, even tho it's the same stuff from china, they have it in stock here and shipping is faster. Keep in mind, it's technically not a legal mod unless you swap in DOT or whatever approved projectors that will focus the light better. Search around the boards for different peoples' setups and see what worked for them. FWIW, HID's are typically my first mod on my vehicles.

When buying, you need to know:
    bulb type, watts, temperature, regular or slim ballast (slim is more expensive but takes up less space)
    Here's one I found for $58 shipped insured, seems like a good seller as well. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...spagenameZWDVW

Here is a 50watt kit for $73 shipped and insured. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50W-5...spagenameZWDVW
    Last edited by JAGUAR5822; 02-02-2009 at 05:08 PM.

pewter
    2002 camaro z28

yeah dont buy blue lights... i think its too ricer

White
    2000 Z28

You basically have 2 options, you can get higher wattage (high quality like Hella) bulbs, but they could fry the wires or even melt the enclosure due to the higher heat and power requirements. I'm not familiar with the limitations here so search around.

The second option is real HID's, on a budget, any cheapo kit on ebay is going to work the same. The most common available are 35watt and 50 or 55watt, which is going to be quite a bit brighter. The best temperature as far as light output is between 4.3k-6k depending on your preference. Any lower or higher than those and you start losing a lot of light output. Just search on ebay and pick a seller you're comfortable with based on feedback. I would reccommend buying from someone in the states, even tho it's the same stuff from china, they have it in stock here and shipping is faster. Keep in mind, it's technically not a legal mod unless you swap in DOT or whatever approved projectors that will focus the light better. Search around the boards for different peoples' setups and see what worked for them. FWIW, HID's are typically my first mod on my vehicles.

When buying, you need to know:
    bulb type, watts, temperature, regular or slim ballast (slim is more expensive but takes up less space)
    Here's one I found for $58 shipped insured, seems like a good seller as well. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/XENON...spagenameZWDVW

Here is a 50watt kit for $73 shipped and insured. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/50W-5...spagenameZWDVW

Thanks for the help, I'll look around for a good set. I just don't want to get a conversion kit that will result in fitment issues that's all.

GROUND KONTROL C.O. dneemorelos's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 00Z28DC View Post
    Thanks for the help, I'll look around for a good set. I just don't want to get a conversion kit that will result in fitment issues that's all.

Yea with those blue 85k sets u will just be disappointed. No matter how careful u are in putting them in, they will burn out quickly or one at a time, and u will have to buy new ones very soon. I always buy the 70 dollar conversion kits from ebay and have not been disappointed at all. Easy to install and have lasted a few months now.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

If you are looking for a set of bulbs that provide good light output look into the philips vision plus, silverstars, nighthawk or piaa. Usually any bulb with a blue coating limits the light output of a bulb.

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Silverstars....nice bright white light without worrying about the wiring or unreliable aftermarket HID kits...I bought an HID kit for my truck and every few months I was sending back either a ballast or a bulb because one of the two kept blowing...seriously not worth the $.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    Silverstars....nice bright white light without worrying about the wiring or unreliable aftermarket HID kits...I bought an HID kit for my truck and every few months I was sending back either a ballast or a bulb because one of the two kept blowing...seriously not worth the $.
    Did you install a separate relay to make sure the HID kit was connected straight to your battery as it's power source? It sounds like it was getting dirty power. There is no comparison between silver stars and HID's when you're talking about light output, which is bad enough on our cars as it is lol.

White
    2000 Z28

Did you install a separate relay to make sure the HID kit was connected straight to your battery as it's power source? It sounds like it was getting dirty power. There is no comparison between silver stars and HID's when you're talking about light output, which is bad enough on our cars as it is lol.
    yea our cars don't have very bright headlights but my dd civic are even worse than our camaros but it's a civic so i don't really care to invest anymore money in it than I have to.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by 00Z28DC View Post
    yea our cars don't have very bright headlights but my dd civic are even worse than our camaros but it's a civic so i don't really care to invest anymore money in it than I have to.
    Even worse than the awful sealed beams I had on my old TA?

388 rwhp & 370 rwtq
    2001 Camaro SS #847

i bought the same ones your lookin at. not worth a damn IMO.
    they were very dim. i put my regular ones back in.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ksstamp09 View Post
    i bought the same ones your lookin at. not worth a damn IMO.
    they were very dim. i put my regular ones back in.
    Same here, although from a different seller and different brand... But, I'm putting the stock ones back in too

White
    2000 Z28

glad i asked, that would have been a complete waste of money

Silver
    1999 Z-28 M6

here ya go, http://www.ddmtuning.com/hidkihidbuhi.html quality kits for pretty cheap.
    From what I've read the slim ballasts are good but tend to have more misfires over the full size ballasts.

Awaiting Activation

black
    98 Z-28

if you're here in cali i can get them for you for a 150, anywhere else i wouldn't know about shipping. a co worker of mine has them on everything from his mini van, ricer, wagon, lowrider, and hotrod so one day i ask what lights he has and he says oh i got hid kits on everything. you want them their a 150 i say yeah next day he puts them on at lunch in ten minutes. they have a ballast that supplies power using the stock harness plugged into the ballast. the ballast has out harness lines that plug back into your lights and they come with the bulbs to. you can locate them close to your lights using something as simple as zipties which we used. but i will later screw them down. i can take pictures on thursday when i am off. pm me for them his turn around was next day.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

silverstar ultra's...$50 for 2 lights...sometimes you can find them with a $10 mail in rebate.

Thread Information