Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

why low stock dyno numbers?

i was interested in purchasing a 1998 z28 m6 and it was dyno'd stock at 267 rwhp i know it was on a mustang dyno but it thought it should be 300. just wondering if i should be concerned about the engine or have any reason not to by it... he said it was on a hot day with the ac on?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

#1 why would they dyno with the a/c on?
    #2 that's not bad for a mustang dyno, don't worry about anything solely based on those numbers

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

Stock Z's only had 300 at the fly I think. Sounds about right to me

Quote Originally Posted by 98LSGUN
    Stock Z's only had 300 at the fly I think. Sounds about right to me

so when gm says,1998 z-28 has 305 hp, they mean at the flywheel and not wheels? if thats so,what are the usual hp #s for a stock 98 z-28 with 305 hp?

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    #1 why would they dyno with the a/c on?
    girlfriend dropped it off or something....i just dont want it to be behind 20-25 hp no matter what i do to it...i also heard that once u start modding the stock numbers dont mean much any truth?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by jtbball
    girlfriend dropped it off or something....i just dont want it to be behind 20-25 hp no matter what i do to it...i also heard that once u start modding the stock numbers dont mean much any truth?
    There really isn't wrong with those stock numbers. If it were a dynojet you would have put down around 300hp at the wheels. The reason mustang dyno #s are lower is because they load up the rollers and simulate a more streetlike situation by putting resistance on the wheels. dynojet rollers spin freely.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

every dyno is different...a car magzine tested something like 12 different dyno shops in nearly same conditions and came up with a 70hp difference between them.... dynos are only good for seeing how much you gained with a mod..not really with how much a car puts out.

On mustang dyno's give real results where normally chevy guys use dynos that inflate thier hp numbers yours truly chevy's suck

White
    2001 Trans Am

You just like them because they say Mustang. Like every other conveluted "overhead-scam" shit box on the road.
    260HP---"thats sooo cute"

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by awsomford
    On mustang dyno's give real results where normally chevy guys use dynos that inflate thier hp numbers yours truly chevy's suck
    We know you guys wish you could make 300 stock on any dyno. Everybody just uses the dyno they have available. When I went to dyno my Camaro, it was at a place that specialized in Mustangs, yet they had a Dyno Jet, so the Mustang guys were "inflating their hp numbers" too.

BTW: Where did the :troll: smiley go?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by awsomford
    dude seriously, put a stock gt (pre-05) on a mustang dyno and you'll get high 100s to the ground won't you? you say chevy's suck Even on a mustang dyno we put more to the ground that you have at the flywheel

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

I said this on the thread with "awsomford"'s other post, but here goes again:
    Can we ban this tool? All he does is pop in, say Chevy's suck, and then leave.

And where did the :troll: icon go?
    1998 Camaro Z28 M6
    SLP Lid, Flowmaster, Cutout, Spec Stage 3, Pro 5.0 w/ Lou's short stick, Pacesetter Race LT's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Nitto NT555R DR's, Moser 12-bolt with TrueTrac and 3.90s, RPM Speed LCA's and Panhard Bar

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo98z
    I said this on the thread with "awsomford"'s other post, but here goes again:
    Can we ban this tool? All he does is pop in, say Chevy's suck, and then leave.

And where did the :troll: icon go?

where did he go? he went to suck off all his mustang freinds.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Z28 M6

careful there senical, don't want to turn it into multiple bans. Just trying to do it without starting some shit...

But this is what I have to say to him:

anything under 290 for an ls1 is low. they were underrated from the factory to make the vette look better, after all it is 20k more.

my stock m6 ls1 put down 308, which is about right.

267 is pathetic and somethings obviously wrong

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by 97z286speed
    anything under 290 for an ls1 is low. they were underrated from the factory to make the vette look better, after all it is 20k more.

my stock m6 ls1 put down 308, which is about right.

267 is pathetic and somethings obviously wrong
    read the thread, there are two types of dynos, they give two types of numbers. Put his car on the dyno you ran on and he would have VERY close numbers to what you made. Don't call his numbers pathetic when you have all the info you needed to know what the deal was right here in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by senicalj4579
    so when gm says,1998 z-28 has 305 hp, they mean at the flywheel and not wheels? if thats so,what are the usual hp #s for a stock 98 z-28 with 305 hp?

hey onebaddz, do you have an answer for this bro?
    01 SS A4 3.23-LID-CAI-LTS-ORY-CB-STALL-TUNED-326rwh,335rwt
    60'-1.666, 1/4-11.918@112.83MPH

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by senicalj4579
    hey onebaddz, do you have an answer for this bro?
    they rated it as 305 at the crank, but realstically they put down that much at the rear wheels. 98s tend to be slightly less than the later years and some only put down 29x. 2002s sometimes tend to put down 310-315 at the rear wheels. So rated at 305 at the crank they actually make 320-sometimes 340 at the crank. There's an article a few people have posted on here from a magazine that dynod a 99 fbody and a 99 corvette when they were brand new and the fbody actually put more power to the wheels than the vette did.

so basically theres a discrepency bc there are several different types of dynos that give different numbers. 267 is pretty low even if it is a mustang dyno and might be a little higher if the ac was off.
    basically my question is should i still by this car and if there is something wrong with it what would it be

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I really don't think you have a problem with the numbers. I wouldn't be scared off just by them. Have you driven it or anything? Even if the numbers are a little low it probably just needs some basic maintenance, but you should rely on what you get out of the car when you drive it and check it out in person more than anything

Thread Information