Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats faster?

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Whats faster?

In a race, with equal drivers. What would win a 2000 Camaro ss, or a Charger SRT8. I know the SRT has more HP, but our cars are lighter. Just Curious. Thanks.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If it was an 01 or 02 I'd say Camaro hands down.

Even at that an 00 should win if you get a good launch.

black
    2002 firebird trans am

i think its up to how you launch and shift. srt8s are all automatics.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I'm going with the Camaro...the SRT8 is a heavy sedan.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

It depends on the SS, auto manual? I have seen atleast a dozen srt-8 chargers pull a 13.5. They are all auto so if the tires are decent then that should be the time you would have to beat. And i know not all 01 and 02 camaros can run a 13.5. The srt-8 cars trap 106-108mph stock too which is hard to a stock ls1 f-body to do consitently.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    It depends on the SS, auto manual? I have seen atleast a dozen srt-8 chargers pull a 13.5. They are all auto so if the tires are decent then that should be the time you would have to beat. And i know not all 01 and 02 camaros can run a 13.5. The srt-8 cars trap 106-108mph stock too which is hard to a stock ls1 f-body to do consitently.
    I'm talking M6

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by fixtheglitch View Post
    I'm talking M6
    Then its on the driver mostly. I was able to run a 13.3 @ 106mph in my bone stock 2000 T/A m6.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I'd say camaro....the charger is powerful, but like everyone else said, its a tank

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

you will if its stock for stock i raced one with just an slp intake and i beat it at the track by .2 he got me in the et tho 105 to 106

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

My skechers

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    you will if its stock for stock i raced one with just an slp intake and i beat it at the track by .2 he got me in the et tho 105 to 106
    Mile per hour (mph such as you indicated) is not the same as elapsed time (et). Et wins out over mph every time.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Mile per hour (mph such as you indicated) is not the same as elapsed time (et). Et wins out over mph every time.
    you know, i think this is where you find street racing stories that don't quite add up. if you don't have 1/4 mile laid out, you may win the actual drag race but lose to the other car overall by racing too far. et wins the 1/4, but with higher mph the other car will pass you sooner or later.
    even the other way, running too short, the car that can pull the win in a 1/4 might not have it if you're shutting down too soon.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    you know, i think this is where you find street racing stories that don't quite add up. if you don't have 1/4 mile laid out, you may win the actual drag race but lose to the other car overall by racing too far. et wins the 1/4, but with higher mph the other car will pass you sooner or later.
    even the other way, running too short, the car that can pull the win in a 1/4 might not have it if you're shutting down too soon.
    Exactly, you responded sooner than I could 67RS/SS - While you are correct in your statement between ETs and trap speeds, trap speeds don't lie. And if they're off, its usually not by much unless it's something catastrophic that occurred half-track or prior (Deoending on how fast the car is). If you spin like hell the first 60 feet and/or miss a shift, your ET will be off a considerable amount yet your trap speed willl usually be right around what it should, had you not spun so bad and/or not missed that shift.

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Black
    2001 WS6

I think we'll be able to hang on to the newer cars for at least a little while longer. Eventhough we don't have as powerful of an engine as the new muscle cars that are out there now (cept for the current mustang gt), I think we'll see our weight give us a little bit of an edge for a while.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I think it helps that we have an array of aftermarket out there as well

Red
    2001 Z28

+1, However, I ran a srt8 with l/t's and 3 inch all the way back, not cats. I have just a few bolt ons lid, filter, strut tower brace, and from a 60 mph roll, it was dead even, and from about 110- 125mph, ill pulled on him about 3 lengths. I forgot i was in overdrive too.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

driver's race

ive been beaten by a stock srt-8 challenger with mods in sig

well, i'll just say this, i assume it was stock idk
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Your car is on the heavy side. Some of the Camaros are much lighter. Mine weighed 3522 stock and about the same with some power and weight adding mods and some weight reduction surgery.
    He hae to consider that the SRT-8 might have had some mods too.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Exactly, you responded sooner than I could 67RS/SS - While you are correct in your statement between ETs and trap speeds, trap speeds don't lie. And if they're off, its usually not by much unless it's something catastrophic that occurred half-track or prior (Deoending on how fast the car is). If you spin like hell the first 60 feet and/or miss a shift, your ET will be off a considerable amount yet your trap speed willl usually be right around what it should, had you not spun so bad and/or not missed that shift.
    While you are both correct in that a faster MPH will eventually catch up I was referring to a measured 1/4 mile. In that case ET (and/or RT) determines everything. I've beaten faster cars (MPH wise) with a quicker ET at the track. I've even beat a quicker ET with a better RT off the line.

For example: Last year I beat a Mustang that had a faster MPH and a better ET by treeing him off the line. I ran a 13.01 @ 106+ and he ran a 12.91 @ 110+. My RT was .029; his was .659.

This is why I favor running at the track against folks versus street racing. It takes out the "WTF" factor. And, (even if $$$ changes hands) it's legal.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 01-02-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: spelling

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    While you are both correct in that a faster MPH will eventually catch up I was referring to a measured 1/4 mile. In that case ET (and/or RT) determines everything. I've beaten faster cars (MPH wise) with a quicker ET at the track. I've even beat a quicker ET with a better RT off the line.

For example: Last year I beat a Mustang that had a faster MPH and a better ET by treeing him off the line. I ran a 13.01 @ 106+ and he ran a 12.91 @ 110+. My RT was .029; his was .659.

This is why I favor running at the track against folks versus street racing. It takes out the "WTF" factor. And, (even if $$$ changes hands) it's legal.
    i agree with you 100%. take it to the track, no excuses there. and like you say, the faster car doesn't always win. the driver has to do his [or her] job to make it win.
    my comments were just showing how stories can seem so farfetched coming from the streeters.
    and the legal part is big too, not to mention safer.

Thread Information