Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

What is it worth

I am looking at trading my lifted 2002 Wrangler for a 1999 SS convertible. It is Hugger orange with white stripes and black leather. It also has the M6 transmission and just turned 91000 miles. I really love my jeep, but also would love to own an LS1 again. Help me out I am torn. My jeep is worth $12500 nada and the camaro says it is worth $9900. But I know that the blue book is not always the best way to determine value.

Thanks
    Last edited by loc13; 08-22-2010 at 12:54 PM. Reason: 1999 not 1998

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Depends on the condition of both vehicles. Was the camaro beat on/is it mechanically sound? Any mods? I'd say with the info given - sounds like a fair trade.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Condition is pretty much perfect. Here are the mods
    subframe connectors
    ls6 intake
    k&n filter with high flow housing
    ls1 hot cam
    long tube headers
    slp loudmouth exhaust
    high flow cats
    short throw shifter
    bmr lowers
    umi adj torque arm body mount with driveshaft loop
    adj panhard bar
    custom computer tune by PBJ pperformance
    17" cragar ss rims front 70% rear 90% tread
    detroit tru trac rearend with 4.10 motive gears
    TA performance rear cover with girdle

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Since this is a thread really wondering what the value of a Camaro is, I moved it out of the classifieds and into the Camaro area.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

lots of good mods. id just check all of the fluids like is the brake fluid black? is the power steering milky or the radiator or engine oil things like that. also its up to you both cars are fun but camaro might get you in more trouble depending on how you drive and what your more into as of off road or racing and things on that line. hard choice good luck though

black
    2000 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    lots of good mods. id just check all of the fluids like is the brake fluid black? is the power steering milky or the radiator or engine oil things like that. also its up to you both cars are fun but camaro might get you in more trouble depending on how you drive and what your more into as of off road or racing and things on that line. hard choice good luck though
    ur artic white is sick

Ray Charles blue

Its a fair trade but mods are personal. I would say its a cool car and the miles are "ok" so I am sure it has lots of engine life left. Personally I would find a buyer for your jeep and the buy the camaro with cash.

If they are asknig $9,900 I am sure you could get it for $9,500 or slightly better if you walk in with cash. Even though you would have to pay the tax on buying the SS you would pocked some money even if you sold your Jeep for 11.5k. But hey, I am a cheap-o so take it with a grain of salt. I am all about saving money.

EIther way its a cool car. Pics or link to sale?

Quote Originally Posted by loc13 View Post
    I am looking at trading my lifted 2002 Wrangler for a 1999 SS convertible. It is Hugger orange with white stripes and black leather. It also has the M6 transmission and just turned 91000 miles. I really love my jeep, but also would love to own an LS1 again. Help me out I am torn. My jeep is worth $12500 nada and the camaro says it is worth $9900. But I know that the blue book is not always the best way to determine value.

Thanks
    Since you live in Nebraska, I'd keep the jeep, and buy the camaro as a summer car.

We've had alot of jeeps, from Scramblers to Rubicons, and they are worth their weight when the snow flies. Living in snow country I would keep some form of 4x4 in the stable.

Shucks I always keep one, and I live in Arizona , never know when I might want to venture up into the mountains and trail ride, or worse yet, head up higher to Flagstaff where they get several feet of snow.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I have tried selling the jeep for 4 months. I haven't even had someone come and look at it. I only have $10500 on the price tag. I figured this would be an ok deal plus I will be back into the F Body world. Here are a couple pics

Ray Charles blue

Nice looking car. You sure you will like the convertible in the winter? My Corvette convertible sucked even in the fall....lol

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 for the cold months so I am not to worried about the winter. I will be using it as a nice weather car.

I have a 2010 Dodge Ram 4x4 for the cold months so I am not to worried about the winter. I will be using it as a nice weather car.
    Smart man

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

Im not a big fan of Verts but that is one very nice looking SS. Good to hear you have a 4x4 for the winter. I like what the brace does for the looks, never seen one on a Camaro. Does it add any structural support or is it all for show?

Sounds to me like the value is pretty close on them. You've listed yours for 10,500 and no bites so even in the winter you'd get nowhere near book. If you really like the car I'd pull the trigger you've already got a truck for the winter.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I just decoded the vin and still have a question. Every SS I see on the internet shows a "ss" badge on the dash right below the air vent, however the one I am looking at does not have this. Any ideas?

I just decoded the vin and still have a question. Every SS I see on the internet shows a "ss" badge on the dash right below the air vent, however the one I am looking at does not have this. Any ideas?
    The SS badge on the dash was an SLP option if I understand that correctly. They all don't have that. I have 2 SLP optioned SS camaros, and only one of them has the SS on the dash. I'm certain they all didn't come with it.

What you need to look for is the WU8 code on the driver side door. That signifies the car left GM as an SS camaro. Another code of interest on the same driver door sticker is Y2K, which signifies the car also came with SLP options, of which will be listed on a sticker on the passenger door. Hope that helps.

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I called SLP today. They said the car was not an SLP optioned SS, and that is was build number #1010. It does have some SLP stuff on the car. It must have been added later.

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

I called SLP today. They said the car was not an SLP optioned SS, and that is was build number #1010. It does have some SLP stuff on the car. It must have been added later.
    That sounds confusing to me if they told you the build number. I would call back for clarity, I read it as yes it was an SS they built but that it just had the base SS options added which were the Hood, Lid, Spoiler and suspension and not other options like rear end, car cover, etc. Just my thoughts. Check passenger door, do you see SLP sticker?

Personally for the price and what the car has on it and as clean as it appears in the pics the price still seems decent to me even if its not a true SS and if you really want it. I dont see it dropping in value all that much over any period of time now that most of the depreciation has been eatin by others.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by MeGoFast View Post
    That sounds confusing to me if they told you the build number. I would call back for clarity, I read it as yes it was an SS they built but that it just had the base SS options added which were the Hood, Lid, Spoiler and suspension and not other options like rear end, car cover, etc. Just my thoughts. Check passenger door, do you see SLP sticker?

Personally for the price and what the car has on it and as clean as it appears in the pics the price still seems decent to me even if its not a true SS and if you really want it. I dont see it dropping in value all that much over any period of time now that most of the depreciation has been eatin by others.
    Well regardless if you got any of the SLP options, they still made the wheels, hood, and spoiler for all the SS Camaros. So they all have build #'s.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Well regardless if you got any of the SLP options, they still made the wheels, hood, and spoiler for all the SS Camaros. So they all have build #'s.
    That is correct. They all have build numbers. The SLP options were just an added bonus. They all didn't get the extra options.

The only real way to tell if you have a bonified SS is the driver side door sticker with all the codes listed.
    Look for WU8,,,,that signifies SS status, plain and simple. Anyone can add the hood, spoiler, wheels, but I haven't seen a faked door sticker yet You can also dig deeper for the other SS specific equipment that most people don't add when faking one,,,,like larger sway bars, power steering cooler, polyurothane sway bar bushings etc...

Since SLP told you this was not an SLP equipped car,,,,that just simply means it didn't have the added options like a car cover, CME exhaust, Chrome plate wheels, portfolio, SS grille, SS floor mats etc...
    So there shouldn't be an SLP specific passenger side door sticker listing any of these options.

Thread Information