Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Artic White
    2001 Z-28

What is a M6 Camaro????

Hey I have heard people in the threads talking about M6's and M4's. I have no idea what the diffrence is. I have a 01 Z-28 6 speed. How do i tell which one i have? Thanks!!!

Red
    2000 SLP Camaro SS

m6=manual 6 speed
    a4=automatic 4 speed

Artic White
    2001 Z-28

Thumbs up

Thanks alot!!!! I was like what is going on?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

lol

Mystic Teal
    2000 Z28

wait till you start seeing FIPK and WOT and FRA and many many more...you'll be like, WTF???

FIPK = Fuel Injection Performance Kit
    WOT = Wide Open Throttle
    FRA = Free Ram Air mod

there is lots more...enjoy

Yellow
    ZO6 Corvette

Ahhhh I remember when I had 5 posts......seems like it was just last week....hell it was last week..Cuz they lost my post count!

White red
    98 SS 17 Grand Sport

I am sure you will know what an A4 is. If not you are SOL and I wont tell you.

sliver
    2001 SS

ok then what is an F-body then

Black
    99 SS Vert M6

Hey, I've been here a little while and I can't for the life of me figure out SOM and NOM. Guys?

1999 Chevy Camaro

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Number 1 LS-1
    ok then what is an F-body then
    Camaros, *Trans AMs, *Firebirds, *Firehawks, and *WS6's. And the Corvettes are called C-Bodies (ex. C1, C2, C3, C4, etc...). Some people have tried to add the Mustang in the "F-Body" category, but those guys are just idiots . The Mustangs I believe use what is called a "Fox-Body".

The dictonary ver of an "F-Body":

When the Camaro and Firebird were first produced, GM used another company by the name of Fisher Body to create the external bodywork for the cars. Fisher had an alpha-numeric system of classifying each body type. The Camaro and Firebird both had similar outer shells with differences in the front and rear - the windshield and quarterpanels as well as the doors and roofline all shared the same metal. The designation for this bodystyle - "F". Hence the name "F-Body".

...Or a longer explenation :

The Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird (known as the F-Bodies or F-Cars) first came out during the muscle car era in the 1967 model year. These cars were labled as "pony cars," a term defined largely by the Ford Mustang, which was the first of its kind on the hot rod scene. Back then, a pony car was considered to be smaller, sleeker, and better handling than the big muscle cars. Today, the Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang, along with the Corvette are the only survivors of the the muscle car era.

There are four generations of the F-Bodies. The first generation ran only three years, from 1967 to 1969. The second debuted in late 1970 and lasted 11 years to 1981. The third generation spanned from 1982 to 1992. And the current fourth generation was released in 1993 and is still going strong.

For the most part, the Camaro and Firebird are now very similar, differing only in body style and interior. However both had different beginnings.

The Camaro was created as General Motors' response to Ford's hugely successful and popular Mustang that came out in 1964. It was originally going to be called the Chevrolet Panther, but was then changed to Camaro, which is loosely derived from a French word meaning "comrade" or "pal."

The name for the Firebird came from a Pontiac concept car in the fifties. The first 60's Firebird, initially developed as a two seater, got the axe from GM. Pontiac was left at the last minute to adapt to the Camaro basic body style. However, Pontiac was able to still create a unique looking car by changing only the hood, grill and rear end of the Camaro sheet metal. Also the engine choices differed from brother Camaro, but both cars offered anything from economical six-cylinder engines to huge, powerful big-block eight-cylinder engines. The looks of the first generation F-Bodies are purely classic, and their short production run have made them highly collectable today.

In the second generation, the F-Cars grew longer and wider and were heavily influenced by European styling. The Firebird had a smoother less angular look than that of the Camaro. Performance dwindled after 1971 when the gas crunch took its effect and each year horsepower ratings for the F-Bodies dropped. As a result, many consider the early 70s models to be the best F-Body cars.

For the third generation, GM concentrated on efficiency. The drag coefficient for the new F-Bodies was one of the lowest of any car. Now, both the Camaro and Firebird shared the same engines. Once again, the Camaro took on a more harder edge, boxy look, with a unique four headlight setup, while the Firebird had smooth flowing lines and hideaway headlights. With the gas crunch over, performance began to improve steadily each year.

The current fourth generation started in 1993, and took on a sleek, futuristic look. Performance was now outstanding, nearly on par with the Corvette. In fact, today's F-Cars are the fastest and best handling F-Cars ever built, faster than even their big-block ancestors of the late sixties muscle car era, but now they can also attain gas mileages of nearly 30 miles per gallon, which bests mosts SUV's and trucks BTW.

Hope this helps! And if you own one, congrats!! Your part of the club now.

* Are virt. the same car, they just changed a few things for pricing and style.

Rob
    Last edited by graphicsgod; 04-16-2006 at 04:37 AM.

sliver
    2001 SS

Let me get this straight i have a 01 camaro SS and the body would be a 4th gen. body but it has a 3rd gen. engine? thanks for the advise

Fairies Drive Imports camaro_five0's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

no, the 3rd gen engines are a COMPLETELY different class and have NOTHING to do with "4th gen" camaros. 3rd gen engines are the LSx series engines.

sliver
    2001 SS

thats what i thought i was just checking thanks again everybody

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1
    Hey, I've been here a little while and I can't for the life of me figure out SOM and NOM. Guys?
    som is sunset orange metalic

Artic White
    2001 Z-28

evo = ugly and sounds like a weed wacker

Mysitc Green
    1994 Camaro

is the LT1 considered a 3rd gen. engine? and if not what is the LSx engine series?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

im new and was wondering what the whole "free mods" deal is about??
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Senior Member 440 rwhp trans am's Avatar

red ta orange gto
    97 trans am 06 gto

lol= laugh out loud
    bs= bull shit
    fubr= fucked up beyond recognition

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by camaro94 View Post
    is the LT1 considered a 3rd gen. engine? and if not what is the LSx engine series?
    The LT1 is a 3rd gen Engine and the LS1 is a 4th gen Engine

Navy Blue
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by graphicsgod View Post
    Camaros, *Trans AMs, *Firebirds, *Firehawks, and *WS6's. And the Corvettes are called C-Bodies (ex. C1, C2, C3, C4, etc...). Some people have tried to add the Mustang in the "F-Body" category, but those guys are just idiots . The Mustangs I believe use what is called a "Fox-Body".
    Yeah I'm pretty sure that corvettes are "Y-bodies". The C1, C2, etc just means Corvette 1st gen, Corvette 2nd gen, etc. The Caddilac XLR is also a y-body.

Also only the 79-93 mustang was the Fox body. Its sn95 from 94-04.

Thread Information