Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1999 Camaro SS

well time to tear down

i found some oil in my radiator over flow tank under the battery so guessing blown head gasket im thinking thats why the guy sold it to me but im going to do heads when i do it i guess and people are telling me to go with trickflow afr an patriot stage 3 anyone have good or bad for any of these

ls7 clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel, McLeod adjustable master cylinder, pro 5.0 shifter,slp lid, hooker long tubes, pacesetter ory, and a borla catback,comp camps 224/230 .591 112 lsa,comp pushrods,patriot valvesprings, a ls6 intake,lowered 1.5, 3.5 pst alum drveshaft, bmr adj. torque arm and the free mods

white
    2000 Z28

stage 3 heads are for bigger bores. in other words an ls 5.7 wont run stage 3 heads and get optimum performance. if you plan to keep the ls1 stock cubed then stage 2 will be as far as you can go. maybe a 383 ls1 will work with stage 3s but those can get pretty expensive not to mention the infamous wrist pin issues. stage 3s are awesome for ls/lq 6.0/6.2. lq9 is iron version of the 6.0 very similar to the ls1 as far as internals and accessories go. it is a direct swap for the ls1. ls2 6.0 has better heads and a bit more of a cam along with the obvious little bit of displacement. not sure if its a direct swap. ls3 is the 6.2 pricey but an awesome power plant. l99 is iron but on par with the ls3 if you drop the displacement on demand feature. neither are direct swaps.

iron blocks have a lot more room for stroking/boring. aluminum sleeves are pretty small. ls1s without being resleeved can only handle a hone. most aluminum blocks need to be resleeved to up the cubes and it is far from cheap to do it.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

yeah wish i could swap someone with a 6.0 my buddy has the 2002 slp car that came with the 6.0 and ls6 and all the goodies but thanks for the info havent ever really done a engine build just a swap before in a v6 s10 to a v8 an thats about it and pulling a 6 out of a wrecked camaro

what heads would you recommend on for a dd for more power but still work with everything i have

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 99ss View Post
    yeah wish i could swap someone with a 6.0 my buddy has the 2002 slp car that came with the 6.0 and ls6 and all the goodies but thanks for the info havent ever really done a engine build just a swap before in a v6 s10 to a v8 an thats about it and pulling a 6 out of a wrecked camaro

what heads would you recommend on for a dd for more power but still work with everything i have
    It came with a 6 liter? Or did someone swapped a 6 liter into it before he got it?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

The complete LS6 (Z06 engine) was never installed in an F-body from the factory. However, there was a shortage of LS1 blocks in the 2001-2002 model years, so the LS6 block was substituted in its place. It offers no real advantages over the LS1, it won't make any more power or anything, its just that its the LS6 casting.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

it came with the ls6 intake and 6.0 cast iron block from factory only thing he has done to it is heads headers and shocks and springs sfc and a hidden shift light everything else is stock

ford ranger

GM never put the 6 lieter in any f body. Some received an ls6 block in 01 and 02 as said above and some years also came with a ls6 intake.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    It came with a 6 liter? Or did someone swapped a 6 liter into it before he got it?
    it had to have been a swap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    The complete LS6 (Z06 engine) was never installed in an F-body from the factory. However, there was a shortage of LS1 blocks in the 2001-2002 model years, so the LS6 block was substituted in its place. It offers no real advantages over the LS1, it won't make any more power or anything, its just that its the LS6 casting.
    a 6.0 is not a ls6..ls6 are 5.7 ..this most likely is a ls2 or a lq9

it came with the ls6 intake and 6.0 cast iron block from factory only thing he has done to it is heads headers and shocks and springs sfc and a hidden shift light everything else is stock
    sorry to tell you..but f-bodys came from factory with 5.7s ..the only way a 6.0 came with it..is if it went to slp after the purchase and they monkeyed around with it...but to my knowledge this has never happened

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

6.0 ain't stock

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    it had to have been a swap.

a 6.0 is not a ls6..ls6 are 5.7 ..this most likely is a ls2 or a lq9

sorry to tell you..but f-bodys came from factory with 5.7s ..the only way a 6.0 came with it..is if it went to slp after the purchase and they monkeyed around with it...but to my knowledge this has never happened
    I never said a LS6 was 6.0. I stated some 01's and 02's came with the LS6 block.

98' trans am

I never said a LS6 was 6.0. I stated some 01's and 02's came with the LS6 block.

Then I must have missed something...he said his buddy had a 6.0 with a ls6 intake...and ur response is a complete ls6 never came in a f body......so where did u get a complete ls6 from?

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    Then I must have missed something...he said his buddy had a 6.0 with a ls6 intake...and ur response is a complete ls6 never came in a f body......so where did u get a complete ls6 from?
    Wow I really have to explain okay here we go...

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    konigandy replied before me and had the 6 liter part covered.

ls6 and all the goodies but thanks for the info with
    I took the LS6 and all the goodies part. The 01 and 02 only came with the LS6 block and LS6 intake nothing else.

98' trans am

Wow I really have to explain okay here we go...

konigandy replied before me and had the 6 liter part covered.

I took the LS6 and all the goodies part. The 01 and 02 only came with the LS6 block and LS6 intake nothing else.
    ahhh ok.

Dark blue/ Green
    02 ss 35th/99 z28 camaros

I( went with the stage 2 heads with 202 valves as well as there cam and push rods and am waiting on a ss 3600 stall so I can get it all done at once and tuned should hallass my .02 cents

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by wicked87svo View Post
    I( went with the stage 2 heads with 202 valves as well as there cam and push rods and am waiting on a ss 3600 stall so I can get it all done at once and tuned should hallass my .02 cents
    thanks for actually replying to what im trying to ask

i really dont give a$hit if it was a ls6 6.0 whatever thats not my point im asking what heads i can use an what i can do to get the most power out of my block i have or would it be cheaper to buy like a ls2 built already or just th ls2 block
    thanks

98' trans am

thanks for actually replying to what im trying to ask

i really dont give a$hit if it was a ls6 6.0 whatever thats not my point im asking what heads i can use an what i can do to get the most power out of my block i have or would it be cheaper to buy like a ls2 built already or just th ls2 block
    thanks
    well it depends on what your goals are...if you arent comfortable with the tear down, and rebuild, and all the measurements etc then get one prebuilt..but obviously getting just a block and getting all the pieces and doing the work yourself will be cheaper.

so again it depends on your goals ..are you trying to go all out ? or do you want to move up in displacement only ? or do you want to do a stroker ? ...your question was so vague the answers you wanted no one could give you with the info you gave us.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

well id like to do as much as i can with the block i have if i have a cracked block also im just going to part it out an get the ls2 or like a 408 stroker someithing with a tone of power for a DD and would still get good gas with the six speed and stock gears

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

well id like to do as much as i can with the block i have if i have a cracked block also im just going to part it out an get the ls2 or like a 408 stroker someithing with a tone of power for a DD and would still get good gas with the six speed and stock gears
    I would wait to see if it is cracked before I made a decision. And shady milkman asked alot of good question. A ton of power and daily driving while it can be done really does not go hand in hand. I dont make a ton of power but run 11.5's and I am happy. My MPG went down getting there. I might get 17/18 on the highway with 3.73's in town 10/13. 213/237 cam/4000 stall and 3.73's. I didnt not build it for MPG. I built it for street/strip use and is not my daily. I could drive it daily but I would get tired of filling it up.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

well right now wth the cam and everything i get 27 on highway an about 16 in city with 405 to the wheels

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

well right now wth the cam and everything i get 27 on highway an about 16 in city with 405 to the wheels
    405 hp to the wheels is not bad. Are you wanting to race from a dig?

Thread Information