Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

V6 to V8 swap? Is it hard?

I am building a 408 at the moment. Originally I was looking into putting it into a Monty or something like that, but the more I search the internet the more deals I find on last gen Camaros. So I was thinking how much easier it would be just to drop that engine into a Camaro than to mod an 80s' Monty like I wanted.

Anyway here is the big question, with all the deals on V6 Camaros. Would it be worth the time to change out the driveshaft and suspension and drop in a V8? I mean I would be doing the same for a V8 Camaro anyway since my entire plan was to build an awsome motor and drop it into something. Are the computers and electroncs compatable?

Or should I just look for a V8 Camaro with a 6 speed and sell the original engine after I am done?

black
    2001 Camaro SS

"Or should I just look for a V8 Camaro with a 6 speed and sell the original engine after I am done?"

this is a commonly asked question. I had a v6 before my ss and wanted to do the same thing. i askd around and it bascially came to this. It can be done but it's a huge huge pain in the ass. It would end up costing you more to put a v8 in a v6 than putting a new motor in a ls1 6 speed car.... Notice i have a ss, not an ls1 v6... it was more cost effective haha

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

subscribed......
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

torch red
    1998 Corvette

all you need is a LS1 k member and computer?? you can run the v6 trans....its not hard. you can get a wrecked vette or wrecked fbody with the front k member, mounts, engine, harness and comp for like 2g on ebay. for 3 gs you can get everything. t56, ls1..prolly can get ls2 and ls6's now for the same price. k members unbolt in minutes with air tools..

silver
    99 camaro

i am debating this same swap i dont think it would be that hard change k member wiring computer instrument cluster and throttle cable and if your picky trans it will work but doesnt have the top center bolt hole or just get the case welded on am i right?

torch red
    1998 Corvette

whats the auto trans in a v6 700r? they r the same bolt as a 4l60, which is what a ls has right? it wouldnt be hard at all. just take your time.

silver
    99 camaro

the trans on a 3.8l is a 4l60 same as ls but the 3.8l doesn't have the top center bolt hole like the ls does chances are it wouldn't matter but it is a difference

silver
    99 camaro

i started on my car and have noticed that all the accessories need to be changed to

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I just wanna know: Why bother?

LS1 cars can be had for cheap these days.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I just wanna know: Why bother?

LS1 cars can be had for cheap these days.
    Exactly what I was thinking, why go through the hassle. Just buy one to begin with.

black
    2001 Camaro SS

again it's more cost effective to get an ls1 car... i have gone through this entire thing and bought an ss cheaper than i coulda v8ed my v6... and i've done my own cam swap and other shit so it's not like i'm just lazy. and the price estimates are rediculous... budget at least 5k.... it always costs more and takes longer than you expect... almost anything with cars that you do yourself

silver
    99 camaro

cause i honestly dont have the money to go buy a v8 car straight out i have a v6 car i have 1200 dollars in total cost and building it this way i can do it my way and have the engine and tranny the way i want it the first time other wise yes it would be easier to buy a car then go from there but then i would have to drop the engine and trans to put a 6.0 in it any way correct? as of right now i have everything but the accessories and some engine components so everything i would be doing to the v8 car i am already doinf with my v6 car plus insurance is cheaper when they think its a v6 car

silver
    99 camaro

also the camaro is not my daily driver so time really isn't an issue

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

I will be doing this same type of thing with the v6 platform I already own. In the next few months after my current TT v6 z34 is finished my Camaro will under go its' tranformation aswell. I look @ it like this. I will be completely stripping down the car and starting over. My goal is not to build something that's already out there, such as a z28/ss hybrid. My plan is a complete custom f-body. Built to my own tastes and standards. Time is not a factor for me so the length and work involved is not an issue. A nose to tail bare bones build is what's in store for it. One offs are not an issue for me seeing how I have my own shop to do most of what I want with it. I dont drag race so building a monsterous engine is'nt in the works. The idea is to have a Camaro totally built by me for me. Making it truely mine, every bolt turned by me, every weld done by me and so on. Whether it's an ss,z28,fire bird, or ta, v6 or v8 they've all started out as just an f-body-unibody with nothing on them but paint. That's where I'm starting from nothing but paint and a unibody. Headaches happen no matter what you build. Yes it is easier to go out and buy one already built or to start with a v8 car. Not everyone wants to do that though. Unless you're buying a new Camaro, or have owned yours from day one most of them if not all will have been someone elses car. With monkeyed repairs, patches, dents, and so on. Starting over is as close as we can come to the car truely being ours. I know the OP is'nt starting over with his exactly, I just think it's a cool project and we all have projects right?.. The question of "is it worth it" really can only be answered by you. Good luck with it bud.

Ps. I'm not trying to piss anyone off or ruffle any feathers. Sorry if I come off that way..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-10-2009 at 03:27 PM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If you have a shop and the skills to do this then it can be done effectively. Most folks do not. I, OTOH, used to have a shop so I know where your coming from. AAMOF, this is how I did my 67: Started with a car sans drivetrain and went from there.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

QUOTE=67CamaroRSSS;1957995]If you have a shop and the skills to do this then it can be done effectively. Most folks do not. I, OTOH, used to have a shop so I know where your coming from. AAMOF, this is how I did my 67: Started with a car sans drivetrain and went from there.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I see your point aswell. Just giving my thoughts on it is all.

silver
    99 camaro

i am basically doing the same thing when i am waiting for something or waiting for money on another i am going to do something else when i have the dash our to change the wiring im gonna start on a cage for the car and if im waiting for something else im going to build the 9 inch for the rear i work on cars everyday so its not something that scares me to have a car torn down i know how to put it back together its just the part that its my car and i want it my way not the someone elses

black
    2001 Camaro SS

Smittro i couldn't agree more man. Especially with the all tools you need at your disposal. There's definitly more than one way to do this. and if that's how you want it i have nothing but respect for something different and done your way.
    Though i am pretty sure you'll need more than 1200, but who knows maybe you can sell the v6, k member, and computer for a chunk.

even if it's not the more economically sound method, it's your car have fun with it.
    Good luck man

..edit... i dunno who i'm even adressing anymore but the 408 would be bad as hell hpglow

silver
    99 camaro

i have 1200 in the car i expect to spend more sorry if i thread jacked

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by ls1forlife View Post
    all you need is a LS1 k member and computer?? you can run the v6 trans....its not hard. you can get a wrecked vette or wrecked fbody with the front k member, mounts, engine, harness and comp for like 2g on ebay. for 3 gs you can get everything. t56, ls1..prolly can get ls2 and ls6's now for the same price. k members unbolt in minutes with air tools..
    The v6 tranny has a different bellhousing and the input shaft is different aswell.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Thread Information