Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upgrades......

White
    2002 Camaro z28

Upgrades......

I’m in need of some suggestions and help and this seems like the perfect place to ask.
    I have a stock (at least I’m pretty sure it’s stock, bought it used) LS1 Z28 with almost 37000 miles on it. It’s has the annoying tick (the one that sounds like sticky lifters) since I bought it. I am also starting to develop the dreaded piston slap when it’s cold and it is getting progressively worse.
    My dilemma is I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to the motor. With a Hayes or Chilton I can work on them and I have done the head gaskets on a 95 3.4 6cyl before, I’m just not up on the upgrades and stuff like that.
    All I really want to do is get rid of those awful sounds. In my opinion the car is plenty fast enough so I’m not interested in faster or quicker. Well maybe a little but really I just want these sounds to go away. Can anybody tell me what I need to replace and what to replace it with? Suggestions, ideas? I won’t be able to start this for a couple of months but I can start getting the parts now if I know what to get.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Get used to the noises. Mine still does the slap till it warms up and the lifters still tick. Part of LS1 ownership. My SS has 39k on it. BTW, rear end rattles too.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

what kind of oil are you using? Would recommend LS7 lifters, most likely it will not go away. If its real bad it could be spun rod bearings but it would be pretty bad if that was the case.

White
    2002 Camaro z28

Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic is the oil I use.

Get used to it is the usual answer I get when I ask about the noise. I went to an all F-Body junk yard here in PA and they told me they could start any of the hundreds of LS1's in the yard and they would all make some kind of noise. The tick I did get used to but when the slap started it made me want to do something about it. Its just hard for me to believe there is nothing I can do about it. I hear quiet LS1's all the time.
    Rear end rattles.... That must be the lite popping type sound I hear from time to time when I slow down for a red light.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Could try some FRCs, i hear those are supposed to quiet the noise down a little.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I was also concerned about the noises when we bought our car two years ago with 71,500 on the clock. It sounds like a sewing machine on start up and then the piston slap kicks in for two minutes or so until it warms up.

The LS1 has a combination of different metals and alloys that expand at different rates when heated. In addition, it has short skirt pistons that allow them to wobble in the bores and produce "slap". As long as you utilize quality lubricants and filters, don't rev on it when it is cold, and have good oil pressure, I wouldn't sweat it.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Get a loud exhaust, and maybe a good stereo system. That should drowned out the noise

White
    2002 Camaro z28

What are FRCs?

So I'm stuck with the noise. I'll deal I guess. Not like I'm going to get rid of the car over it.

Now... I already have the extra loud stereo system but the exhaust is not very loud. Its aftermarket but I have no idea what it is. Any suggestions for a new exhaust? Something that will drown out the noise. I was lookin at the SLP stuff but will it be enough to cover the engine noise.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by djeazyg View Post
    What are FRCs?
    fuel rail covers

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by djeazyg View Post
    What are FRCs?

So I'm stuck with the noise. I'll deal I guess. Not like I'm going to get rid of the car over it.

Now... I already have the extra loud stereo system but the exhaust is not very loud. Its aftermarket but I have no idea what it is. Any suggestions for a new exhaust? Something that will drown out the noise. I was lookin at the SLP stuff but will it be enough to cover the engine noise.
    Stop looking at the SLP stuff, unless you enjoy headaches with your car.

Black
    69 Camaro, 99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Stop looking at the SLP stuff, unless you enjoy headaches with your car.
    This site is againts slp haha i see everyone saying that iits all crap. I listen to you guys i was gonna go that route but skipped out and only got the lid and thats it for that stuff

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro69Mac View Post
    This site is againts slp haha i see everyone saying that iits all crap. I listen to you guys i was gonna go that route but skipped out and only got the lid and thats it for that stuff
    Its because we have all had negative experiences with SLP, their craptacular service and their parts that don't perform anything like what they claim.

We aren't just shooting off our mouths, its all from experience.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Get a loud exhaust, and maybe a good stereo system. That should drowned out the noise
    And poly mounts.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Have you considered Magnaflow or Borla makes a mean exhaust.

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yeah what everyone else said about the many different sounds. I just call it the sounds of pure power. If your stock other than a catback you could easily put a cutout in the I pipe.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

+1 lol

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

yup good ol' piston slap is common .......as is the tick..however there is some debate about preloads and such to quiet them down...overall dont worry about it...i run the magnaflow catback and love it.....there are only 3 things i would ever buy from slp..the lid, the sfc and the loudmouth II ....however be warned about the lm2...with stock manis and cats it sounds ok..but once you go longtubes and or no cats...it gets really raspy

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    yup good ol' piston slap is common .......as is the tick..however there is some debate about preloads and such to quiet them down...overall dont worry about it...i run the magnaflow catback and love it.....there are only 3 things i would ever buy from slp..the lid, the sfc and the loudmouth II ....however be warned about the lm2...with stock manis and cats it sounds ok..but once you go longtubes and or no cats...it gets really raspy
    I have the LMII with Kooks LTs, Kooks Y and no cats. No rasp. However, it is loud as fu&^ at WOT. I usually get a few compliments every time I take it out. I think with the different resonator from the LMI, it drowns out the rasp better. Personally I like how it sounds, but at times I wish it was quieter. I sometimes find myself shifting just to lower the RPM to get it to be quieter However it is tons of fun rev'n it when passing people walking on the street and watching them scream

Pewter
    02 Camaro SS SLP

Its just something you gotta get used to buddy

White
    2002 Camaro z28

Thanks for all the great input.

OK. Stopped looking at the SLP stuff. Sounds like more of a headache than they are worth. Considering the emissions testing here in PA, is the catback the way to go or can I do something else. I'm trying to save a little money at the same time here. Like I said, I kind of a newbie here with this stuff.

Thread Information