Thread: trade in

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

trade in

well i posted in the gto section but i dont think people pay much attention to it compared to over here. and a gto forum i joined to ask questions doesnt seem to have any active actual car threads.

-what you guys think about tradin in the ol' 99 z28 for a 2006 gto? i still owe 6k on the camaro so it all depends on the trade in value they offer me( i dont see anyone offering me much more than that). but any one trade in for a goat? how much they give you on the trade? good decision bad decision?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I am guessing you haven't had the 99 very long being you owe 6K on it? Seems like a lot to owe on a car that's 12/13 years old.

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

no i havent had it for too long. like a year and a half. im just looking for something new and i rushed into buying this car and kinda crippled my finances. bought it for 12k and financed it at like 14% for 4 years or something crazy like that. Just because i wanted the damn thing so bad. so i figured that if i could get a gto finaced for 5 years on a better %rate i could lower my monthly payments and still have a nice car. maybe even lower my insurance rate? not positive on that one though

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I doubt any car dealership will take your car in on a trade due to it's age.

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

-what you guys think about tradin in the ol' 99 z28 for a 2006 gto?
    An 06 GTO wouldn't be a bad trade at all, at least in my opinion.

i still owe 6k on the camaro so it all depends on the trade in value they offer me( i dont see anyone offering me much more than that)
    I would check what KBB values your car at. Although most dealers use "The Black Book."

good decision bad decision?
    If you were able to make the trade and break even, that wouldn't be so bad I guess.. Especially if you got a better rate of finance!!!!!

What kind of miles does the Z have?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

the z28 has 60k.

and one of my main attractions to the gto would be to get lower monthly payments and still have a car ill enjoy driving.

kbb value for my car said about 9k. i doubt they would give me that though

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

they would take your car.. but whem you find out how much they gonna give youll be mad... so before you go
    check kbb value as a "trade in" they will offer you that and some dealerships offer you $1000-$2000 under the trade in value for inspections they do..

so if u want to sell it.. sell it on the street youll make way more..
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

red
    2000 Z28

KBB is the retail value of your vehicle. I'd be suprised if you were offered 6K from a dealer, even if it's in excellent condition. You are much better off selling the car on your own.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

yea i figured that. looks like ill be keeping the car for now. hopefully when i get my promotion i can pay the car off and start a build or something. going for a cruze with the t tops off yesterday made me realize that i dont really wanna trade it in just yet

Rally Red
    2002 Z28 Camaro

going for a cruze with the t tops off yesterday made me realize that i don't really wanna trade it in just yet
    Yeah, I had the T-tops off all day yesterday too. I don't know if you checked the weather, but were dropping back to the low 50's and high 40's for the weekend. I can't say it enough, I hate living here!!!!!!!

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

Quote Originally Posted by sworn View Post
    Yeah, I had the T-tops off all day yesterday too. I don't know if you checked the weather, but were dropping back to the low 50's and high 40's for the weekend. I can't say it enough, I hate living here!!!!!!!
    i wouldnt say i hate living here but it sure does get annoying. atleast the snow is gone

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I took my mom's 30th Anniversary Camaro with 69,000 miles on it to a dealership when we were trying to sell it. They offered $3,750. I ended up selling it outright for $10,750. Just gives you an idea of what kind of offers they make.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 2001camaroSS View Post
    I took my mom's 30th Anniversary Camaro with 69,000 miles on it to a dealership when we were trying to sell it. They offered $3,750. I ended up selling it outright for $10,750. Just gives you an idea of what kind of offers they make.
    Selling private party vs. selling to a dealership is apples and oranges.

Dealerships don't see collector value, they see how much can I get for this at auction if it doesn't sell on the lot. That's why dealers use the "black book" on while appraising vehicles. That gives them wholesale price for the particular time and area. A 35th ann. SS with 10k miles, is the same as a standard SS with 10k miles... And don't get me started on vehicle mods... You'll lose your ass on those when it comes to a sale.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

and then they would turn around and want $13k for it ...

Dont be so sure a GTO is better than a SS anyway .. Trust me these can be great cars and they can be big headaches ...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    [B]Selling private party vs. selling to a dealership is apples and oranges.
    yes I know it is. Trading in a car is never a good plan. you always lose a ton of money. I was just trying to give a real world example.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

yes I know it is. Trading in a car is never a good plan. you always lose a ton of money. I was just trying to give a real world example.
    I know. I was offering my real world experience with trade ins. The only real bonus of a vehicle trade in is, it's easy, no hassle and you get cash quickly, and if you're buying a new vehicle, you'll usually get a better deal, or have some bargain room with a vehicle trade.

Selling a car yourself is such a PITA.... plus there are so many shady people out there nowadays.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

I know. I was offering my real world experience with trade ins. The only real bonus of a vehicle trade in is, it's easy, no hassle and you get cash quickly, and if you're buying a new vehicle, you'll usually get a better deal, or have some bargain room with a vehicle trade.

Selling a car yourself is such a PITA.... plus there are so many shady people out there nowadays.
    you are definitely right. my dad works at a dealership so I've gotten to hear various stories first hand. the customer almost never wins, which is pretty unfortunate.

red
    2000 Z28

Cash is the best bargaining tool. Sure, it's not as easy as trading your car in, but you'll do so much better selling it yourself. If a dealer gives you a deal on the trade, you will pay for it on the new vehicle.

As far as shady people, make the terms of your sale clear before you meet. Insist on the using a USPS money order. Not a bank draft, not a cashiers check unless you do the deal at the bank where the funds are drawn.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

sebring silver
    1997 camaro

Trade in is definately not the way to go. Tried to trade my 30 ann 97 SS last week. It's like they want me to throw the car in for free.

Thread Information