Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Thinkin' about selling the Z

So I'm thinkin' about selling my car. For those of you that don't know its a 2000 Z, pewter, grey cloth interrior, hardtop, automatic, 108k miles. 70-80% of the reason I bought was because I thought I got a semi-good deal on it. I figured I'd pick it up to use a DD to keep miles off the truck, but it hasn't turned out that way. Since I don't do much with it, and being in love with these cars, I'd like to try to find another one with less miles. I guess what I'm asking is how much would you guys ask for it, if it were yours? And where would you draw the line as to how much you would take on it? I plan on removing the C6 wheels and putting the factory allow "snowflake" wheels back on. The exterrior is probably an 8 out of 10 because there's VERY tiny rock chips on the hood. Because it's pewter, it hides it extremely well, and it has to be in direct sunlight with you staring at it to even tell that they are there. BUT they are! Interrior is probably a 9.5 out of 10, flawless really, but it's not a brand new car so people still won't consider it perfect, which I understand. The bad is that the driver's side window needs to be put back on track. Motor works fine but the window only moves an inch up and down, and then there's a hellacious noise. Not sure if it needs a motor or if it needs adjustment, but the motor is turning And it has the functional SS hood. The back bumper where it meets the rear quarter looks to be a little off, but I never noticed it until I took the picture below, soo...? All things considered, throw me your thoughts on resale value

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Have you used NADA or Blue book to see what range it would fall into with those?

light pewter metallic
    1999 z28

my rear bumper is like that too. it must be a PITA to swap em and get it right or something. O and bump for a pewter z

'02 White, '95 Black
    '02 Camaro B4C, '95 9C1

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    So I'm thinkin' about selling my car. For those of you that don't know its a 2000 Z, pewter, grey cloth interrior, hardtop, automatic, 108k miles. 70-80% of the reason I bought was because I thought I got a semi-good deal on it. I figured I'd pick it up to use a DD to keep miles off the truck, but it hasn't turned out that way. Since I don't do much with it, and being in love with these cars, I'd like to try to find another one with less miles.
    Unless you are looking for a really pristine car to park in your bedroom and never drive, I don't think you'll gain very much by selling this car and buying another one with fewer miles. I feel that condition - not miles - is the primary factor concerning desirablity. Your car is reallty nice except for the few minor body / paint flaws and the power window problem you pointed out.

Why not get a competent body shop to paint the hood and correct any other imperfections, fix the power window and then keep and enjoy the car ?

Rip

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

I say keep the car. Ripinator had very good points...so i too say fix it up a little, and you'll enjoy it all the more! Plus, i'm sure theres a bunch of LS1's out there with 200,000+ miles on them, so your's is middle aged...broken in...healthy...and ready to go with monor aches and pains

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Have you used NADA or Blue book to see what range it would fall into with those?
    I have, and that's what the confusing part about it is (for me). First off, I know I'm not a licensed dealer, but you've got everything from private party value being the least (which is just over $5k) to suggested dealer retail value (which is just under $9k). I mean we're talking nearly double the price? I guess the obvious answer would be to consider taking $5k or perhaps even less because of the economy?

I like leather, but the cloth is nice on hot summer days and cold winter days as well. I'm partial to the pewter, and would only look for another pewter Z (or SS), so that might be a crap-shoot if I were to look for one reasonably priced. And I don't want anything other than a hardtop. Reading ya'lls comments is pretty inspiring, leaning me towards keeping the car and putting some elbow grease into it, to get it to where I want it.

I blame Mr. P for all this, really Pewter is my favorite color on a vehicle and his car is in jaw dropping shape. I was really looking to put it up for sale this weekend and use some tax return money to look for a nicer one, but I'd be doing the same thing in the end, regardless of miles. Chasing ETs and dyno numbers. The more I sit here and think as I type, the more it makes me look deep into it. Guess I did buy the car to toy with Afterall, that's why we're all here, right?!

Ok, thanks fellas for getting me through this little path of confusion. Guess I'll start posting around come this next weekend when parts start to be ordered. God, I love the LS1!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

4th gen values are not very good these days. Your mileage really isn't that astronomical either. I would keep what you have, and put some money into making it the way you want it. If you are worried about the motor/tranny mileage, have them freshened up or upgrade. You probably won't get what you really want out of it if you did go ahead and attempt to sale it

FWIW, I bought mine used and it was nothing special at the time. It took me a year or so and a near complete transformation was done in regards to appearance/care. If I showed you comparison pics, you would not realize it was the same car.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Keep It!

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    I say keep the car. Ripinator had very good points...so i too say fix it up a little, and you'll enjoy it all the more! Plus, i'm sure theres a bunch of LS1's out there with 200,000+ miles on them, so your's is middle aged...broken in...healthy...and ready to go with monor aches and pains
    I have one of the "bunch" of LS1's with 200,000+ miles on them. 203,411 miles to be exact on stock motor and tranny. Daily driven, year-round. I'm in love with it.

It's just now getting broke in!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Don't sell...BUILD!!!

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

keep it you never know when you will find another car like this i love my camaro and i plan on keeping it even after the motor and tranny goes just need to put new ones in

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    keep it you never know when you will find another car like this i love my camaro and i plan on keeping it even after the motor and tranny goes just need to put new ones in
    ^This! Anything breaks on either of the LS1 Camaros I have and it'll be cheaper to fix than buy another.

RED
    2002/Z28

If I was you I would keep it and build it up. But its your car so do what you want. When I was looking I was looking for a bone stock car for I now whats been done to the car. Most of the time when its bone stock and owned by a 45-50 year old women with only 36K miles it wasnt dogged or ragged on at all.. Good luck if your gonna sell it..

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I would keep it IMO. But I have a DD so for me it is not a issue. I know it is just a car but this will be one I keep period. Kinda wish I had kept my 71 camaro.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

keep it man

ford ranger

Keep it man. I sold my 98 z a couple years back and honestly it is the one thing in my life that i regret. Keep it mod the shit out of it and enjoy buddy.

White
    99 Camaro Z28

beautiful car man

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Keep it and build it. My 02 has only 47,xxx miles on it and I've yet to do more than bolt ons. It's at mid 12's now (12.59 at 107 with 1.73 60'). Imagine how fast it could be if I was serious about it...

The 98 has 180,xxx so I know they can last.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 02-05-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: inches are not feet

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I've decided to keep it. I started it up to let it warm up last night and charge the battery, and I just couldn't see letting it go. Like you guys have said, so long as maintenance is done on the powertrain regularly, car will last a long time! Heck, I even took the time to throw a 12'x24' blue tarp over, and wrap the edges because of 2-3 feet of snow being expected. I love the car, and it would just be too much hassle trying to get rid of it and find another in the same color and hardtop. Plus, w/ exception of the window, there's nothing wrong with it. Thanks for all the input guys!

Black
    98 Z28

I think you'll be hard pressed trying to find another in as good of shape as yours with less miles. If you do odds are they'll want an arm and a leg. If you were stepping into a Vette like I am considering then I would understand your desire to get rid of it. But to just step into an identical car, Id keep yours and just save up for a monster motor to drop in it. By the way I have 179K on mine and have zero problems out of her.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

As everyone else has said...Keep It. For whatever reason with minor exception,every time I sell something to upgrade....I always end up wishing I had what I sold.Or what I bought has more problems than what I got rid of.Just my .02. Oh and really nice looking car by the way.

Thread Information