Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    01 camaro ss

Thanks tax return

Hey guys! Im getting ready to do a cam in my car. Im looking at the tsp torquer v2. I know i need to do springs and pushrods but i was wondering if rocker arms and lifters are a good idea. Also thinking of an udp. If there is anything else im missing let me know. My mods are crate motor ls2, 90mm tb, slp lid, maf, lt's with cats and gmmg cat back. Thanks guys!!

white
    2000 Z28

lighter rockers and lifters will free up a tiny bit of hp but it can't hurt anything because it will be stronger. ls7 lifters are stock replacements. i couldn't say if they are lighter or not. and yella terra is a very solid brand for rockers. many people are running stock lifters and rockers on cammed motors with little to no problems. with upgraded lifters, rockers, and udp you will be squeezing every bit of lost hp you can. not a bad thing by any means but they wont be drastic power increases.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

If you wanna do lifters, I think you have to remove the heads? How many miles on the LS2?

red
    01 camaro ss

I know doing the lifters and udp wont free up alot of power but i just thought while i was there might as well do it. I want to do lifters and rockers do to peace of mind knowing everything will be ok. The motor has about 5000 miles on it maybe alittle less. I know alot of people do the timeing chain and oil pump but i thought since the motor has low miles ill be ok.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Your lifters should be good. Most people do the timing chain to upgrade to a stronger one to give peace of mind. They also go ahead and upgrade the oil pump to a better flowing one since all is taken apart and it's already there so might as well.

red
    01 camaro ss

Now this might be a stupid question but is the ls2 and ls6 oil pump the same? I wasnt planing on doing the pump and timeing chain since it was low miles.

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

on my trans am i got comp lifters,melling oil pump,and double row timing chain when i did a heads and cam swap all for around $460 from vengeance racing in cumming,ga.,i went ahead and changed that stuff while i had the engine tore apart because my car had 130,000 mi on it

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by 01ssSLP View Post
    Now this might be a stupid question but is the ls2 and ls6 oil pump the same? I wasnt planing on doing the pump and timeing chain since it was low miles.
    No such thing as a stupid question unless you ask her where it goes in... Anyways I'm not sure if its the same pump but you can upgrade to the melling pump and a double roller chain. I forget the number to the melling pump, its something like 10051 or something (I'm sure someone will chime in) but you can also just port and polish a LS6 pump (if they aren't the same, if they are then just p&p your current pump :dunno). For the chain, well you already have the LS2 timing chain which is the "budget" stronger chain that most people go with and with just 5k miles I'm sure its still very good, but look into the double roller chains and if you can afford then might as well.

red
    01 camaro ss

If anything I might do the timeing chain and leave the oil pump alone. I just don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.

white
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 01ssSLP View Post
    If anything I might do the timeing chain and leave the oil pump alone. I just don't want to spend the money if I don't have to.
    ls2 timing chain is a quality piece. not sure about the oil pump though. can't hurt to get some info on the pump. i just personally have no clue on the ls2 pump.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

When i did my cam swap, i had both the double roller chain and the ls2 chain, didnt know which would be easier or better. Shop suggest the double roller. Also i changed the the oil pump the the Melling pump i now have tons of Oil Pressure and glad I did it. But yeah the lifters area more of a pain to change at this point. I'd wait and do them if you are ever going to do work on the heads. So id do, the cam, pushrods, springs, Oil pump, Timing chain, and tune for sure. I would also upgrade the fuel injectors. i run ford 42lbs green tops, will be more than i'll ever need as with my cam replacement it put me at the edge of what the stock injectors could do.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Here is the part number for the Oil pump i'd run MEL-10295. But now to answer the question yes you could just run the ls2 upgraded chain and not have to do the oil pump at this time. But everyone will suggest doing it now cause you already have the cover off and it is right there. Just so you know one issue is when you go with a double roller you have to "shim" out the pump for clearance. The melling pumps comes with the pieces you need.
    -
    But yes if your being super simple you can leave pump alone and change to the ls2 chain and you should have no problems. Many have done it with sucess.

red
    01 camaro ss

I have an ls2 motor in the car already and only has 5000 miles on it. should i still do the oil pump and would i be albe to use to ls2 timeing chain on the car now?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

can't wait till i get my tax return

pewter
    2000 camaro ss

I wouldnt mess with the oil pump and chain since they are new. The rockers on LS motors are pretty stout for a factory piece and usally lighter than aftermarket maybe the comp trunion upgrade. The lifter will be fine and see no reason to replace. SO I say cam and springs and pushrods and it be good to go well and of course a tune. UD would be a nice upgrade. Myself like the fluidampner only a 10 underdrive but is a quality part and helps with harmonics.

red
    01 camaro ss

I didnt think i need a new oil pump or timing chain. better safe then sorry. Im going to do rockers tho.

I probably hate you bowtieguy02SS's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

you just said you dont want to spend the money if you dont have to. the v2 isnt that aggressive of a cam and if your motor only has 5000 mmiles it will handle all that and more. you arent throwing any serious power adders like heads or juice or FI. you need cam, springs, pushrods, conservative tune and an UD pulley

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Don't bother with the rockers. Leave em alone.

Ray Charles blue

Not trying to be a buzz-kill or anything but if you need any part of your tax return for bills dont spend any of it on mods. Just saying...............

What are your ultimate goals? If I keep my car its going to need a cam/heads/intake as well. lol

I probably hate you bowtieguy02SS's Avatar

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Don't bother with the rockers. Leave em alone.
    stockers on the ls1 can hand a lot, very stout little things. so i assume the ls2 rockers are similar

Thread Information