Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Tell me why

Why does everyone say the 4th gen camaro handles horribly I believe mine handles surprisingly well since its an 8 year old car... what are your thoughts... i was beating a cobra in the twisties the other day and dont they have independent suspension

Just people that don't know what they are talking about. If you are coming from a lighter import then yes it may not handle like you are used to. It's not corvette or 911 but they handle well enough. A cobra may have IRS but that doesn't mean it handles any better. Who knows how well the guy was driving it.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Just people that don't know what they are talking about. If you are coming from a lighter import then yes it may not handle like you are used to. It's not corvette or 911 but they handle well enough. A cobra may have IRS but that doesn't mean it handles any better. Who knows how well the guy was driving it.
    Correct, besides IRS is only better when the tires are on uneven surfaces. But when that occurs which is often then irs is better.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

When I bought my Camaro new in '01, I was stepping up from a '94 Beretta Z26. The Beretta had the sports supension and I had driven it for over 6 years. When I took the Camaro out on a twisty road I thought it was horrible. But the more I got used to it the more I found out it was better than I thought it was. It has lots of body roll compared to the Z26, but it still keeps it grip even when it feels like it is going to let loose.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I came from a Cobalt SS and that may be a good handleing car but even when my car gets loose its never so loose i cant correct it i think it does well for the size of it and amount of power

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Correct, besides IRS is only better when the tires are on uneven surfaces. But when that occurs which is often then irs is better.
    One former Cobra owner put it best when comparing his IRS to the Corvette's - "It's only helpful when it's engineered into the car... not thrown in at the last minute"

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    One former Cobra owner put it best when comparing his IRS to the Corvette's - "It's only helpful when it's engineered into the car... not thrown in at the last minute"
    i like this saying so what are your opinions on the camaros stock suspension you think it sucks???

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Ummm... I like the fact that it's all pretty easy to access, although I haven't messed with any shocks/struts or springs as of yet (don't plan to lower it at all). I don't have much of a problem hooking up in my car on the stock converter, and 245s

LCAs, SFCs, and the TA is up next on the to-do list... and in response to your 4th gen handling thing, I LOVE the way my car handles, the adjustable PHB made a noticeable difference (beyond imaginable)

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

IMHO when I had stock suspension+stock tires I hated the way the car handled when I first got it. tons of body roll, no grip in corners, way too easy to lose the rear end on slightly spirited exits, the car honestly felt dangerous. And this is from someone coming from an 01 grand ma gt. Keep in mind though the shocks and struts had never been replaced on the car (100k miles). But after I got stiffer/lower springs, stiffer shocks and struts,lca brackets, and drag radials the difference was like night and day, now I can sling it around corners and get no body roll and never lose the rear end. But yeh IMO the stock suspension sucks balls, get rid of it asap

Red
    2001 ws6

i dno....my car handles fine and as of now i have no suspension mods....however i have a whole stock of them sitting in my room

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    i dno....my car handles fine and as of now i have no suspension mods....however i have a whole stock of them sitting in my room
    ur a ws6, so ur springs/shocks/struts are basically the same as my aftermarket stuff...i think

Red
    2001 ws6

its definatley an upgrade .... but i think aftermarket handles a little better....i could be wrong

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    ur a ws6, so ur springs/shocks/struts are basically the same as my aftermarket stuff...i think
    You got Bilstein?

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

And hell, I'm a tick over 100k and my Z handles great... farmer, maybe your factory suspension should've been treated with a driver mod

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 SS Camaro

The Camaro SS handles very good, it rolls a bit but then it settles and feels very composed through corners. Now if you throw twisties into the mix and WOT inputs it feels a little scary, w/60k/12yr old shocks and springs I expect that. It feels like a boat compared to the Elise but I expect it since it weights 1500lbs more, but I'm very impressed with how it handles in general. And I'm sure with some coil overs it would hang w/new vettes in the curves.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

You got Bilstein?
    monroe monro-matic plus, not quite sure what the difference in stiffness is though

And hell, I'm a tick over 100k and my Z handles great... farmer, maybe your factory suspension should've been treated with a driver mod
    this could have very well been the problem, I did come from a fwd car w/no power so the change was quite a shock. I've never had the time to take it to the strip or a autoX track so I'm no sure how I compare to ur average ls1 driver, prob below average i'm guessing lol

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I did well at the autox i beat a STI in time but it was only by like .002

I'm fine with how they handle. I'm more of a straight line guy anyway. But I've found up here in the mountains either of our SS's are a pleasure to drive on the twisty roads up here.
    I'm not one who is going to push the car and find it's limits, but for day in and day out driving, they are more than satisfactory for us.
    Once you go modifying the suspension for better grip etc...you start to compromise ride quality as well. Not something I want to do. There is a fine line there, and I feel the way GM built the car you have a very happy 50/50 split of handling while still maintaining some ride quality. That's important to us since we use ours for long 1,000 mile plus trips.

Just depends on what you want out of a car. We've owned a couple of vettes too. Ya they handled better but they were also kidney busters.

Arctic White
    1999 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    I came from a Cobalt SS and that may be a good handleing car but even when my car gets loose its never so loose i cant correct it i think it does well for the size of it and amount of power
    Than your not going fast enough.

j/k

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

hahaha trust me its fast enough lol

Thread Information