Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

T-Top Stories, Near Death Experiences..

We wanted to add some crazy new stories to a new section on our web site.
    As many of you know we have been Sponsors since 2006! If anyone has any crazy or exciting t-top stories.. please please please let us know!

Also, if you need t-tops, they are heavily marked down right now. We have
    most all in stock! Example: Camaro T-Tops, 93-02, only $149.00!

Thanks,

Brian B

http://www.t-topsonline.com

LS1.com Owner

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by t-topsonline View Post
    We wanted to add some crazy new stories to a new section on our web site.
    As many of you know we have been Sponsors since 2006! If anyone has any crazy or exciting t-top stories.. please please please let us know!

Also, if you need t-tops, they are heavily marked down right now. We have
    most all in stock! Example: Camaro T-Tops, 93-02, only $149.00!

Thanks,

Brian B

http://www.t-topsonline.com

Brian this is a great idea. I bet there are some story to be told.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
    Brian this is a great idea. I bet there are some story to be told.
    Thanks and we figure the stories added on the site will add SEO to our page.
    Google adwords is pricey and old technology!

First time running my old 1997 WS6 down the track. Got to about the 1/8th mile mark when all of a sudden my passenger side t-top flew up. I immediately let off expecting to see it rain death from above on my buddy who was racing behind me in his mustang. Kept waiting to see it smash on the track amnd it never did. As i coasted through the 1/4 mile, my t-top flopped right back down. Turns out the weather stripping had somehow kept the t-top wedged to the center of the roof. I got to the ende of the track where the fire official was and he says "You might want to latch that down". I said "Yeah probably a good idea huh?"

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by MTBSully View Post
    First time running my old 1997 WS6 down the track. Got to about the 1/8th mile mark when all of a sudden my passenger side t-top flew up. I immediately let off expecting to see it rain death from above on my buddy who was racing behind me in his mustang. Kept waiting to see it smash on the track amnd it never did. As i coasted through the 1/4 mile, my t-top flopped right back down. Turns out the weather stripping had somehow kept the t-top wedged to the center of the roof. I got to the ende of the track where the fire official was and he says "You might want to latch that down". I said "Yeah probably a good idea huh?"
    Damn Lucky!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbsully View Post
    first time running my old 1997 ws6 down the track. Got to about the 1/8th mile mark when all of a sudden my passenger side t-top flew up. I immediately let off expecting to see it rain death from above on my buddy who was racing behind me in his mustang. Kept waiting to see it smash on the track amnd it never did. As i coasted through the 1/4 mile, my t-top flopped right back down. Turns out the weather stripping had somehow kept the t-top wedged to the center of the roof. I got to the ende of the track where the fire official was and he says "you might want to latch that down". I said "yeah probably a good idea huh?"
    haha nice!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Story about a kid that used to work for me. He had a 99 Camaro and was cruising up the freeway doing probably around 75-80mph and all of a sudden his passenger Ttop had lift off... literally flew straight up into the air. Looked behind him at the swerving cars and then CRASH... top hit the pavement and shattered. He sped up to get away with only one ttop on. Apparently the moron took them off, and never latched that side down. I say he's a moron because this was in January when it happened.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Story about a kid that used to work for me. He had a 99 Camaro and was cruising up the freeway doing probably around 75-80mph and all of a sudden his passenger Ttop had lift off... literally flew straight up into the air. Looked behind him at the swerving cars and then CRASH... top hit the pavement and shattered. He sped up to get away with only one ttop on. Apparently the moron took them off, and never latched that side down. I say he's a moron because this was in January when it happened.
    January in California might as well have been any month really.. where your from yah probably not the smartest thing to do

$ 25,000 panty dropper VENOMOUS's Avatar

2005 Ram SRT-10 QC 8.3l
    1999 FRC Black

Most probably don't know this but in 91'&92' Firebird/Trans Ams on certain fortunate cars there was the option for the Acrylic T-tops and I personally witnessed the excellence of this short lived top.

My buddy had a 91 Trans Am 5.0 with tops and we just left a party and it had gotten cool so putting the tops on was a must. Got both of them outta the hatch and I installed my side and he did his. I, being the think twice kinda guy I am I latched it down and double checked it. It was his car so I didn't question him as to whether he made sure of his.

Well a spirited trip down the highway at 75 lasted about 15 minutes ( believe it or not) before making a huge ( SWOOOOOSH) sound and going into the sky like a jet. Musta went about 20 ft over our heads and caught wind and fell to the highway! His stomach and even mine hit the floorboard as we made the exit to turn around and try to find it. Well, low and behold, we found it virtually unscathed!! Apparently a car never hit it on the busiest Highway in Texas? The damage recieve was from sliding down the highway at 75! Quite a few long scratches on the Acrylic and the interior trim piece, but this thing went serious airborne and landed on one side, slid. flipped over to make sure the other side got scratches as well, and never broke.

That's when we figured out why they felt so much lighter than older (77') Trans Am t-tops. Long story, but was simply amazing and not sure why still not using them? Oh yeah, no more Trans Am and I guess the gay ass Camaro has a sunroof?

black
    2001 camaro ss

i had a damn good one when i first got my o1 SS ...one of the girls at a car show kept bugging me to take her for a ride after the show and it got colder so i put the t tops on walked over opened her door but what i didn't notice was that her boyfriend had unlatched my driverside t top so when i got on it on a back road at about 80 it popped off luckily me it flew far enough that in landed in a feild and only cracked but i was pissed i flew into the lot switched his with mine said its all yours and left with his girl hahahahaha

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

I was showing off my car to a buddy, he was chillin in the drivers seat and took the top off and put it back. he latched it but it didnt go in the hole. so later I start her up and take another friend onto route 7 and go from a dig, at 83 mph i hear a whoosh! and the i look up and my roof disapears. i slowed a little and watched it spiral upward and shoot down right next to a minivan. as soon as it shattered i took off and came back later to see how bad it was. got another for $99 and free shipping!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VENOMOUS View Post
    Most probably don't know this but in 91'&92' Firebird/Trans Ams on certain fortunate cars there was the option for the Acrylic T-tops and I personally witnessed the excellence of this short lived top.

My buddy had a 91 Trans Am 5.0 with tops and we just left a party and it had gotten cool so putting the tops on was a must. Got both of them outta the hatch and I installed my side and he did his. I, being the think twice kinda guy I am I latched it down and double checked it. It was his car so I didn't question him as to whether he made sure of his.

Well a spirited trip down the highway at 75 lasted about 15 minutes ( believe it or not) before making a huge ( SWOOOOOSH) sound and going into the sky like a jet. Musta went about 20 ft over our heads and caught wind and fell to the highway! His stomach and even mine hit the floorboard as we made the exit to turn around and try to find it. Well, low and behold, we found it virtually unscathed!! Apparently a car never hit it on the busiest Highway in Texas? The damage recieve was from sliding down the highway at 75! Quite a few long scratches on the Acrylic and the interior trim piece, but this thing went serious airborne and landed on one side, slid. flipped over to make sure the other side got scratches as well, and never broke.

That's when we figured out why they felt so much lighter than older (77') Trans Am t-tops. Long story, but was simply amazing and not sure why still not using them? Oh yeah, no more Trans Am and I guess the gay ass Camaro has a sunroof?
    Yah ummm I don't know about the sunroof.. lame! Better than nothing I guess? You know the Lexan (plastic) tops.. They were very short lived. My best guess is that they were lighter weight for racing.. otherwise, the sun damages those suckers! They get webbed cracking and scratch very easy.
    We still have them in stock, but always try to push for glass.. Overall better quality.. just more breakable as you stated and heavier..

Thanks for your post!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    I was showing off my car to a buddy, he was chillin in the drivers seat and took the top off and put it back. he latched it but it didnt go in the hole. so later I start her up and take another friend onto route 7 and go from a dig, at 83 mph i hear a whoosh! and the i look up and my roof disapears. i slowed a little and watched it spiral upward and shoot down right next to a minivan. as soon as it shattered i took off and came back later to see how bad it was. got another for $99 and free shipping!
    83mph not bad! Get this, I was speeding on the interstate, about 89mph, got pulled over.. $445 later.. SUCKED!

That price is amazing! I don't see how they even made a profit unless the car was straight parted out!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bowdownss View Post
    i had a damn good one when i first got my o1 ss ...one of the girls at a car show kept bugging me to take her for a ride after the show and it got colder so i put the t tops on walked over opened her door but what i didn't notice was that her boyfriend had unlatched my driverside t top so when i got on it on a back road at about 80 it popped off luckily me it flew far enough that in landed in a feild and only cracked but i was pissed i flew into the lot switched his with mine said its all yours and left with his girl hahahahaha
    classic!!!

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Watched a passenger of a t/a take unlatch the t-top on the freeway. I was yelling at him to stop and he did it anyway. Lucky sob actually held on when it tried to fly off, never bothered looking at the t-top's shape after it smashed back down on the guys roof

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by t-topsonline View Post
    83mph not bad! Get this, I was speeding on the interstate, about 89mph, got pulled over.. $445 later.. SUCKED!

That price is amazing! I don't see how they even made a profit unless the car was straight parted out!

yeah i was glad it was so low, i thought it was going to be alot more!

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I went and picked up my gf at the time in my 02 on our way to 6 flags in Atlanta. We stopped by my place for a few minutes and she needed to run to the store so I tossed her the keys. It had started to rain and the car was in the garage. She put the tops back on and got back from the store with no incident. We headed for I75 on a twisty back highway and I had my window down smoking a cigarette. I heard it a change in wind noise, looked up and saw the handle open. I reached up to grab it and my hand hitting it was enough to push it into the wind. Somehow I held onto it with both hands at 65-70 mph and drove with my knee until she realized what was going on and took the wheel for me. Then the had to bump the car in neutral while I was stepping on the clutch and slowing down. I didn't want her to try and steer us off the highway from the passenger side of the car. It was a trick putting on brakes and slowing down holding on to the damn thing while she turned us into the next road. We drove for the next hour silently until she looked at me and said she was sorry. My reply: "I know how you can make it up to me!"

Black
    2001 Trans Am

a gross friend of mine tried to shoot the moon thru the t top, nasty bastard. just glad he didnt shart in my car.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I've heard of T-tops flying off, hitting the ground and not shattering! Amazing!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    I've heard of T-tops flying off, hitting the ground and not shattering! Amazing!
    It's weird but most of the time they don't and most of the time they avoid hitting cars??? Weird!

Thread Information