Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Such a thing as an LS1 RS/Z28?

Well after reading my RPO codes, I realized my Z28 was definitely stock with the LS1 AND the Y3F Sport Appearance Package (approx. 4400 built with this kit in 2000). A lot of people questioned me if it is really a Z28, cuz they see the Y3F kit and think V6 RS, since they've all seen this kit strictly on the V6 models.

My question is, since the V6's with this kit are considered Rally Sports, is mine a RS/Z28? I know they used to mark Camaro's this back in the day, but I've never heard any LT1's or LS1's considered a RS/Z28.

Also, if anyone else out there has this kit stock on their car leave me a message, cuz supposively this is a really rare kit for the 98-02 models.

I may just have a one-of-a-kind car on this board.

The answer to your question is no, there were never any LS1 RS/Z28's.

Y3F is indeed the option code for the "Sports Appearance Package", which could be ordered on 1998-2002 V8 and V6 cars.

Y3B is the option code for the 2001-2002 RS, which were V6 cars only and shipped to SLP Engineering for upfitting. Somewhere around 390 RS cars were produced in 2001 model year and, 443 cars were produced in the 2002 model year. These cars were not available with option code Y3F. (On one of the pages in my signature link below, there are pictures of my 2002 RS)

Option code Y3F was also used on the 1996 & 1997 RS cars as well. These were standard Chevrolet catalog items and were V6 cars only.

These option codes were never available on the LT1 cars due to engine cooling issues. The front air dam on the 1996-97 RS cars went all the way across the front bumper. Even though there were vent holes in the middle of the air dam (which always broke at the ribs), there still was significant air blockage to the radiator that would cause overheating on the V8 cars. You'll notice that the 1998-2002 Y3F front air dam is 2 end pieces only and does not block the air from getting to the radiator. As far as I know, the side skirts and rear spoiler pieces are the same for both option codes.

There were no RS cars manufactured in the 1998, 1999 and 2000 model years There were maybe five 2000 RS "validation" cars presented to GM by SLP. I don't believe that any of these 5 cars were ever sold to the public.
    Last edited by VChula; 12-31-2005 at 02:42 AM.
    Vance Chula
    1996 Camaro Z28 SS #1688
    2010 Camaro 2LT RS
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/vchula

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

There are alot of 98 up Z28s that came factory with the RS package also. It doesn't have to be a V6 to have an appearance package on it, and Y3x only denotes appearance and is in no way related to or limiting engine options. YES RS Z28s EXIST. Also, RS and SLP have nothing in common, there is no reason whatsoever to even put that in there

Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by VChula
    Y3B is the option code for the 2001-2002 RS, which were V6 cars only and shipped to SLP Engineering for upfitting. Somewhere around 390 RS cars were produced in 2001 model year and, 443 cars were produced in the 2002 model year. These cars were not available with option code Y3F. (On one of the pages in my signature link below, there are pictures of my 2002 RS)
    SLP made one RS with the sport appearance Package. It was a Red 2002

Quote Originally Posted by z_driver1
    There are alot of 98 up Z28s that came factory with the RS package also. It doesn't have to be a V6 to have an appearance package on it, and Y3x only denotes appearance and is in no way related to or limiting engine options. YES RS Z28s EXIST. Also, RS and SLP have nothing in common, there is no reason whatsoever to even put that in there
    SLP made all of the RS camaros for GM.

maroon
    2001 Z28

There was one of those "readers rides" things in the back of a GM high tech perf. magazine not to lond ago that was saying this older lady had an ultra rare rs/z28.....looked like a 6'er, but it had an LS1, and it was not a conversion. 4th gen LS1 body style too.......

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Can someone say...confusing? So two votes are for SLP makes the RS and one vote says SLP never made the RS'...

I think I get what VChula is saying...RS cars were never made with V8's during 98-02. But I have another question...what does an RS consist of? I thought the Y3F appearance package and the rectangular exhaust tips makes it an RS from the factory...btw anyone else here have the Y3F kit?

Green Monkey
    I have a 98 Z with the Appearance package. Loaded with T-Tops, chrome rims, power all, and it's a 6-speed. :-) She runs not to shabby for being stock too.

Camaro

Yes, I do. Look in my sig.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Looky there, green monkey has one, z boner has one too, don't know if it's factory or not though. The ground effects and three piece spoiler are NOT an SLP thing, it is just another factory option that you could have on any car you bought even a Z28. If it is a Z and has the RS package it does not say rs is says Z28 but it is the same package and the package IS listed on the vin.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Looky there, green monkey has one, z boner has one too, don't know if it's factory or not though. The ground effects and three piece spoiler are NOT an SLP thing, it is just another factory option that you could have on any car you bought even a Z28. If it is a Z and has the RS package it does not say rs is says Z28 but it is the same package and the package IS listed on the vin.
    +1 buti duk so who cares

Sunset Orange
    2001 Z28

I've got one too.
    Sunset orange with the sport appearance pack 2001

jkksxy1
    yeah RS camaros are only availabe with the 3.8 V6, but the ground effects were offered on the the Z28's as a styling option even in the early models like 95 to 97 and 98 to 02 , i beleve that 94 was the only year you could not get that package on the Z28, my 96 Z28 had it on it as well.

My car is a 2000 Z28 the sport apperance package. Bought new that way.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

well here's the break-down for everyone who has the Y3F Sport Appearance Package; I calculated how rare it is (more value to the car in the years to come).

207,112 Camaro's built in 98-02 in the U.S.
    26,121 Has the Y3F Package

12.6% 98-02 Camaro's in the U.S. have this kit.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    i got an idea, why dont you go back up and read what Vchula said. there are 2 different option codes for the RS and Z28 sport appearence packages. Y3F was offered on Z28 and 6 cylnder cars. Y3B was offered ONLYon RS cars with the 6cyl.

here ill even quote it for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by VChula
    Y3F is indeed the option code for the "Sports Appearance Package", which could be ordered on 1998-2002 V8 and V6 cars.

Option code Y3F was also used on the 1996 & 1997 RS cars as well. These were standard Chevrolet catalog items and were V6 cars only.
    just because its a Z28 with a factory body kit on it does not make it a Z28/RS. It makes it a Z28 with "Sport Appearence Package" Y3F
    and there NEVER was a Z28/RS offered ever through 1967-2002. NEVER!
    and your right, SLP never took Z28's and put YF3 on them. SLP took 6 cylnder cars and put Y3B "RS Sport Handling and Appearence Package" on them.
    Last edited by bww3588; 01-01-2006 at 04:19 PM.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

The difference in YF3 and Y3B is the badging. One denotes RS badging and one does not, that is the ENTIRE difference, it is the SAME package. That's why there was not a "by name" rs/z28, because of the badging code.

Modding is an Addiction bww3588's Avatar
    no, sorry.
    this link here http://www.camaroz28.com/articles/01...rs/index.shtml proves that your theory of SLP having nothign to do with the RS package is wrong. this also proves that there is obviously somthing different between Y3F and Y3B. because otherwise why would GM outsource the building of the RS if all it is is the same GFX that are applied at GM's factory where Camaro was built? is it because GM didnt have the resources to make an RS badging? doubt it.
    http://www.caranddriver.com/article....&page_number=1
    this proves you know nothing about the RS.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

This is another threat full of people that skew facts into something that makes them look right, don't provide links that you claim disprove something when they don't. Why don't you point out that the SLP camaros were only made in 2001-2002? Why don't you point out that it is different that an RS, it is not a GM RS. Let's see, stripes, grill, wheels. Oh and it doens't have gfx unless you have the Y3F code?!?!?!?! Don't you think that's important. Ok, SLP makes their own version of the RS, not THE RS. Of course SLP never made a Z28 with THEIR RS options, they made Z28s into SSs. That can hardly be used to say that there were never rs/z28s when you aren't even talking about a regular rs. ALso, I'd like to point out that up there it says rs made ALL RS camaros, I think not, they only offered their take on the RS for two years, during which GM still offered their RS. There are not different codes for Zs and v6s, there is a different code for the two years the SLP offered something called and SLP rs, during which the regular rules still applied. Thanks for providing links that prove it. I will not be returning to this thread even to read any responses, I am on LS1.com for things better that arguing about things with people who only read the parts of things that make them look right then throw it out like it's a fact, later

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

as far as there being no rs z 28s thats not true the rs apperance(rpo z 22) package could be ordered on any camaro from 67 up to 73, base model 6 cyl, z 28 or the ss model . by the way i have a 73 rs z as proof

Thread Information