Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Street Safety

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Exclamation Street Safety

Guys/gals:

I see that many of us love to mod our cars. Well, we occasionally get to demonstrate our street prowess against imports or other domestic sportscars.

How many of us actually think about safety? Let's address safety here in this thread so that people at least can be reminded about hazards and safety.

-Carry a fire extinguisher in your vehicle...an appropriately rated one of course.
    -Carry a first aid kit
    -Center punch (in case your car decides to take a drink)
    -Helmet (not likely that people will have this but it is something to think about).
    -5 Point racing harnesses.

...please chime in and add things to the list or your thoughts.

I have seen way too many people get hurt and killed in street racing incidents around my area. As a result, our departments around here are cracking down harshly on cars that appear to be modded.

If you have dual exhaust that is even slightly loud, they pull you over. Heck, I even saw a patrolman that pulled over an import that had a ruler on his hand and was ready to measure his bumper height.

People are being pulled over for the most trivial reasons. No front license plates, too loud, tires stick out too much. They even advise patrol officers to inspect the underhood of the cars and if a car appears to be "suspect" as a "race-ready" street car, they make you go to a state inspector and you know what that means.

I think that we should prevent this from getting worse. I also don't want to see anyone on the news dead from street racing.

I didn't mean to go on a tangent but it is a serious issue and we as responsible owners of a very powerful vehicle, need to address these issues.

Let's have your opinions and input:

Can you get a ticket for your car being to loud if they dont have a decibel reader? because then what constitutes it being loud?

also i want to try and get a 5 point harness just for the track do i need an adapter or anything else other than the harness to make it work in my 99?
    Last edited by coupe00; 04-02-2007 at 08:18 PM.

18D Cock Diesel

Thumbs down

Depends on the officer/patrolman's discretion. He/she can send you to the inspector to get it checked out.

As for the harness, i will defer to other members to answer that as I don't know the answer.

But the LEOs can be as picky as they want. All they have to do is to suspect you. They can then make you go to an inspector for more testing...where they can also find other things wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Depends on the officer/patrolman's discretion. He/she can send you to the inspector to get it checked out.

As for the harness, i will defer to other members to answer that as I don't know the answer.

But the LEOs can be as picky as they want. All they have to do is to suspect you. They can then make you go to an inspector for more testing...where they can also find other things wrong.
    hmm so time to quite down the exhaust, anyone ever use magnaflow?

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

Anthracis, where are you from? I have been thinking about getting a fire extinguisher recently.

18D Cock Diesel

I am from Sacramento, California.

Fire Extinguisher is good to have on board. If not for you, its good to have for others.

Once I had to put out a fire on an eclipse that rammed into a CALTRANS highway mower (that is a big giant lawn mower they use on the side of the highway). The retard lost control of his vehicle when street racing during rush hour on the freeway (bumper to bumper). He kept switching lanes unsafely. As I was pointing him out to my partner, he overcorrected and rammed the mower. Not a pretty sight!

So stay safe out there!

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

yea, I think jackasses deserve it. (sometimes) I love when people drive like idiots and I keep cruising to later seem them pulled over.

I'm not so much of a street racer but I do like to get on it every now and then, but in a safe way when I can't hurt anyone.

18D Cock Diesel

You Got It

Yep. I agree!

in doubt tach it out!!

BADASSZ28
    i like to race anytime , or wherever it looks okay but in florida mods are not an issue at this time but i do agree with you and believe we must make intelligent decisions about street racing, which might be hard for some!!

Arctic White
    '00 Camaro M6 SS #3553

Whenever I visit wreckedexotics.com it always makes me think twice about struttin' my stuff on the streets.

18D Cock Diesel

controlled insanity is the order of the day

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

for a 5 point harness you need a roll cage or a roll bar. 2-3 ofthe points need to be attached to the cage/bar

98' trans am

whats a center punch?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

I'm lucky. I live in a small town south of Tulsa, OK. Most, if not all, of the cops in my town have race cars or crotch rockets, so they don't really care about racing...just don't be stupid and pass one of them going a hundred down main street, that just leaves them no choice...however, they purposely run very predictable paths and looooove to pick on the ricers, for they all drive american muscle. I used to have an old 88 Supra Turbo, they pulled me over like every day...now they could care less if i burned my tires off.

There's really no traffic anywhere so safety isn't much of an issue, though i would recommend strongly, like others here have before, carrying the fire extinguisher. It could save money and lives...and where could i get a good price on a 5-point for my 2000 ss?

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang=Breakfast View Post
    I'm lucky. I live in a small town south of Tulsa, OK. Most, if not all, of the cops in my town have race cars or crotch rockets, so they don't really care about racing...just don't be stupid and pass one of them going a hundred down main street, that just leaves them no choice...however, they purposely run very predictable paths and looooove to pick on the ricers, for they all drive american muscle. I used to have an old 88 Supra Turbo, they pulled me over like every day...now they could care less if i burned my tires off.

There's really no traffic anywhere so safety isn't much of an issue, though i would recommend strongly, like others here have before, carrying the fire extinguisher. It could save money and lives...and where could i get a good price on a 5-point for my 2000 ss?
    summitracing.com

NBM
    1998Z28

Check out the latest GMHT and the have a section on whats new and what you need to have on the car if your running XXX mph.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Guys/gals:

I see that many of us love to mod our cars. Well, we occasionally get to demonstrate our street prowess against imports or other domestic sportscars.

How many of us actually think about safety? Let's address safety here in this thread so that people at least can be reminded about hazards and safety.

-Carry a fire extinguisher in your vehicle...an appropriately rated one of course.
    -Carry a first aid kit
    -Center punch (in case your car decides to take a drink)
    -Helmet (not likely that people will have this but it is something to think about).
    -5 Point racing harnesses.

...please chime in and add things to the list or your thoughts.

I have seen way too many people get hurt and killed in street racing incidents around my area. As a result, our departments around here are cracking down harshly on cars that appear to be modded.

If you have dual exhaust that is even slightly loud, they pull you over. Heck, I even saw a patrolman that pulled over an import that had a ruler on his hand and was ready to measure his bumper height.

People are being pulled over for the most trivial reasons. No front license plates, too loud, tires stick out too much. They even advise patrol officers to inspect the underhood of the cars and if a car appears to be "suspect" as a "race-ready" street car, they make you go to a state inspector and you know what that means.

I think that we should prevent this from getting worse. I also don't want to see anyone on the news dead from street racing.

I didn't mean to go on a tangent but it is a serious issue and we as responsible owners of a very powerful vehicle, need to address these issues.

Let's have your opinions and input:
    That's some of the stuff our bored and rookie cops stop us for around here and we haven't had any racing fatalities or accidents! They even stop people for tint that isn't very dark, to small of steering wheels, to high hood scoops, ect.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

i think this is a great thread!!
    just got new rims, tires and shocks. the guys at the shop couldn't believe that i just want to make the handling of the car safer. it's all about the looks and going fast, but we're moving 1.7 tons of metal at high speeds (i'm cruising usually around 100/110 mph!) - control and safety is definetly an issue !!

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    i think this is a great thread!!
    just got new rims, tires and shocks. the guys at the shop couldn't believe that i just want to make the handling of the car safer. it's all about the looks and going fast, but we're moving 1.7 tons of metal at high speeds (i'm cruising usually around 100/110 mph!) - control and safety is definetly an issue !!
    That's why I have V speed rated winter tires! I can do 149MPH and not worry about them flying apart.

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    That's why I have V speed rated winter tires! I can do 149MPH and not worry about them flying apart.
    just like me!! that's why i just got Y rated summer tires, so i can finally hit it!

Thread Information