Thread: Straight Pipes?

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Straight Pipes?

Im in the process of selling my 2000 v6 camaro right now and im buying an SS and the first thing that ill do is open up the exhaust (that is if it isnt alredy). Since money is goin to be a bit of an issue rite after i buy the car i was thinkin of cutting everything off right behind the cat and running 3 inch back and splitting it into dual behind the rear axle. I havent really seen any talk of this on here. Just wandering how it will sound and if anyone is running that and how they like it...Thanks

Black
    98 Camaro

i actually had a friend with a ws6 that had that.. he ran it straight back with no muffler and split into duals.. i liked it.. it sounded pretty mean..

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by sskid View Post
    Im in the process of selling my 2000 v6 camaro right now and im buying an SS and the first thing that ill do is open up the exhaust (that is if it isnt alredy). Since money is goin to be a bit of an issue rite after i buy the car i was thinkin of cutting everything off right behind the cat and running 3 inch back and splitting it into dual behind the rear axle. I havent really seen any talk of this on here. Just wandering how it will sound and if anyone is running that and how they like it...Thanks
    you seem to be asking about true duals (which is like beating a dead horse). my advice is leave the exhaust alone until you can get a set of longtube headers and then decide how the rest of the exhaust will go. i had a magnaflow catback and am in the process of doing the whole exhaust now...as we speak i have the stock manifolds that run to about the middle of the car and dump out unintentionally. i have no y connector, no i pipe either running out of the back. now there are alot of different opinions about exhaust backpressure, and seeing as how i had it (with a muffler) and dont have it at present (without a muffler) i can tell you honestly that the car seems alittle slower. i have no numbers or times to prove the difference, but it doesnt feel as torquey as it did with the catback. there is no backpressure. it is said that no backpressure decreases low end torque but increases top end power. i can tell you that i miss the extra lb feet at the moment.

i dont know the intricacies of tubing diameter but i know if you go too big for the amount of power you have you can lose hp. keep that in mind alittle. true duals sound beautiful and perform well. if youre serious about racing and having alot of power IMO a catback just doesnt cut it. that is purely an opinion. so take it as such. there is always the option of cut outs and different mid pipes like an h or an x. my exhaust will be longtube headers into an x pipe with two one chamber bullet mufflers and dumps. plain and simple.
    hope my rambling helps alittle. oh and IMO NOTHING sounds as good as true duals!

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thanks very much for that advice. Im actually not talking about true duals tho, just single all the way back to the rear of the car where the muffler originally hangs. And wouldnt it have plenty of backpressure goin thru the stock mani's and stock cat?....and remember the only reason im considering this is because i want to scare all the ricers until i can afford lt's and true duals (bassani possibly).

Black
    1998 Z/28

i would think it would sound very similar to a loudmouth setup

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Thats what i thot, all the loudmouth really is is a glasspack. and if i really wanted to get fancy i cud just by a glasspack muffler at surplus city for 14 bucks.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Thanks very much for that advice. Im actually not talking about true duals tho, just single all the way back to the rear of the car where the muffler originally hangs. And wouldnt it have plenty of backpressure goin thru the stock mani's and stock cat?....and remember the only reason im considering this is because i want to scare all the ricers until i can afford lt's and true duals (bassani possibly).
    backpressure is created by the muffler. im just advising you that keeping the stock exhaust manifolds and trying to open up the rest of the exhaust for whatever reason is really a waste of time in the grand scheme of things. nothing beats the sound of longtubes headers or the gains in power they yield. the i pipe kind of dealy your referring to is all fine and well, it just wouldnt be what i would choose if i wanted the most out of my exhaust. i personally believe that the longer the left and right exhaust from the headers is kept seperate, the more efficient the exhaust will be. that is also just an opinion that i formulated over the years with different cars. the cat adds alittle, but hardly the amount a muffler does. in all honesty i dont like the stock exhaust, im not a fan of the "Y" pipe, and i dont see the point in most single cut out setups (just to give a feel for how i am) but im not saying they dont make power or sound great. its just been my experience and sense that the exhaust is more efficient when exiting the motor seperately all the way to the muffler at least, and then into the atmosphere. of course with true duals you can have two of everything!!!

Navy blue
    99SS452WHP / 05R1

Yea i understand what ur sayin secondgearscratch..I think im just gonna try it for a lil while until i have the money for the lt's and true duals, who knows maybe i'll really like it..Thanks for all the advice.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Yea i understand what ur sayin secondgearscratch..I think im just gonna try it for a lil while until i have the money for the lt's and true duals, who knows maybe i'll really like it..Thanks for all the advice.
    no problem bro. i figured you were struggling like me and didnt have millions of dollars. i see where youre coming from...you want some muscle sounds from the 8 cylinder right?!!!! magnaflow catback will solve your problem and give you power. it can be had for around 300 bucks or less if you can find a sweet deal. NO WORRIES.

Black
    1998 Z/28

A LM2 is very similar to a glasspack but a LM is just a resonator

Thread Information