Thread: storage

black
    2002 camaro ss

storage

I live in Canada and last winter i stored my car in the garage and once a month i would start it up and let it run for 20 minutes so it heats up to operating temperature to burn off the moisture. Alot of people are telling me thats good for the car, but others are telling me to park it and dont start it. Let me know what your guys think. also I'm trying to do a check list of things i need to do to my ss and garage before winter storing. thanks guys in advance.

nbm
    99 z28

I keep mine garaged all winter long. I usually change oil and other fluids that need it. fill the tank with premium add stabil. then I start it up probably twice a month and let it get up to full operarting temp and let it run for about 10min after that before i shut it off. once in a great while if we get a long stretch without snow and there is no sand/salt covering the roads. I'll take it for a short spin around the block to keep things lubed. when spring comes I change oil and run a full tank through with fuel system cleaner and we are good to go.
    been doin that for the last 7 years with no problems yet.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I change the oil, add stabil to the fuel tank, air up the tires, park it on 4 squares of carpet under the tires and disconnect the battery.

It fires right up in the spring.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way. I have heard too many stories arguing both sides. I store my car with a half tank and fire it up about once a month. Stabil is a plus, though I did not use it last year and had no problems in the spring (except for a new battery)

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by o2 double s camaro View Post
    I live in Canada and last winter i stored my car in the garage and once a month i would start it up and let it run for 20 minutes so it heats up to operating temperature to burn off the moisture. Alot of people are telling me thats good for the car, but others are telling me to park it and dont start it. Let me know what your guys think. also I'm trying to do a check list of things i need to do to my ss and garage before winter storing. thanks guys in advance.
    Wont hurt it a bit. I do the same with my 01 Camaro every year, for the past 4 years. It's good to get oil up on the top of the motor once in a while when she sits. Letting her sit for months and without running her is like firing up a dry motor IMHO, all the oil goes to the pan. Firing her up every so often keeps a fresh coating of oil on moving parts. IMHO

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I agree with starting it ever so often. I store mine in the garage from October/Nov to April. I have been doing this since 02 when I bought it.

I change the oil and put Stabil in the tank. I start it about once every 2-3 weeks and let it run for about 15-20 minutes.

No problems thus far.

Some people get crazy with storing cars. I heard of this one guy with a old Camaro who puts coal under the car to absorb moisture He also puts vasoline on all of the rubber to keep it from cracking.

The guy has won tons of car shows though....so maybe he isn't too crazy.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I agree with starting it ever so often. I store mine in the garage from October/Nov to April. I have been doing this since 02 when I bought it.

I change the oil and put Stabil in the tank. I start it about once every 2-3 weeks and let it run for about 15-20 minutes.

No problems thus far.

Some people get crazy with storing cars. I heard of this one guy with a old Camaro who puts coal under the car to absorb moisture He also puts vasoline on all of the rubber to keep it from cracking.

The guy has won tons of car shows though....so maybe he isn't too crazy.
    I've heard about the vasoline trick... but with a silicone lube...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I've heard about the vasoline trick... but with a silicone lube...
    Good coat of blackmagic here..

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

socks over the exhausts to stop critters from living in it.. they get in amazing places

Thread Information