Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ss vs z28

red
    1999 trans am ws6

ss vs z28

i was currently looking at a couple camaro's the other day and i was just wondering what the big diffrence is between a z28 n a ss?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

hood and spoiler
    The ss boys are going to get there panties in a twist if I leave out the fact if it is slp it has a better catback and some come with slp tuned bilsteins with a .5" drop, and a 32mm front sway bar.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Everything stated above and for some the wheels. The Z28 exhaust tips are rectangular and the SS tips are round except for the cme.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

also, numbered cars. If I was going to mod a bunch, i'd prob go z28 and save some money. If I wanted to keep it around awhile as a cruiser, probably ss.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    also, numbered cars. If I was going to mod a bunch, i'd prob go z28 and save some money. If I wanted to keep it around awhile as a cruiser, probably ss.
    i 100% agree

red
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by sloner2 View Post
    i was currently looking at a couple camaro's the other day and i was just wondering what the big diffrence is between a z28 n a ss?
    fyi all ss are born z28, then they were sent to slp to grow up a little, then they become SS

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by camaross1 View Post
    fyi all ss are born z28, then they were sent to slp to grow up a little, then they become SS
    very little

The obvious appearance change was the hood and spoiler along with wheels. It goes a bit deeper however if you checked off some things.
    They also had the option of being upgraded further from SLP with other speed parts such as the dual/daul cat back exhaust, with the CME on top of that as an extra cost option. You could have ordered lids, shocks, as well as different tires, floor mats, car covers, SS grille, yada yada. Alot of things to really set it apart from the standard Z28.

Your basic SS will have 17 inch wheels, larger sway bars with polyurathane bushings, obviously the hood and spoiler.

I agree with the others though, to save a little coin, if you plan to heavily modify the Z28 might be a better way to go.
    Collectability (if the economy ever comes back) would be in the SS's favor.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Collectability (if the economy ever comes back) would be in the SS's favor.
    This is another reason why I love the SS. A birth certificate that somebody has to go along with the car, is an easy way to tell, at hand. Not sure if all SS's had them upon original purchase of the car, but it doesn't hurt to ask

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    This is another reason why I love the SS. A birth certificate that somebody has to go along with the car, is an easy way to tell, at hand. Not sure if all SS's had them upon original purchase of the car, but it doesn't hurt to ask
    Yep, you could also order the commemorative portfolio, comes with a cool little SS note pad with an SS ink pin even

My SS came with all that stuff as well as what I listed above. My wifes SS however only came with 3-4 SLP options. Kinda funny, It tells me that SLP meant for these things to be somewhat collectable in the future. This stuff also really jacked up the price tag too.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you can call SLP with the vin and they can still send birth certificates.

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

The biggest difference between them to me is the fact that they are building SSes, as you can buy a new one. But you can not buy a new Z28.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Jones - Does the birth certificate come standard? As in, when you opt for the base SS package, does it automatically come with it, or do you have to pay for it as an extra option? IMO, it should come with it, since they're already a limited number of cars, with a special number, but i'm curious...

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    The biggest difference between them to me is the fact that they are building SSes, as you can buy a new one. But you can not buy a new Z28.
    This is another thing I didn't understand... why GM would unveil a V6 and the "2SS" (or whatever it is), and not the Z28 before the SS.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Eh, different platform and kinda ugly, but ya.

SS and Z28 meant 2 very different cars from 67-72 (more notably the engines). When they brought the SS back during 4th gen production, differences were minor and more appearance oriented as listed above. They still ran the same engines.

I don't see these 5th gens to be any different. If they ever do come out with a supercharged Z28 version they might bring some of the snap back to the name however.

Jones - Does the birth certificate come standard? As in, when you opt for the base SS package, does it automatically come with it, or do you have to pay for it as an extra option? IMO, it should come with it, since they're already a limited number of cars, with a special number, but i'm curious...
    I believe it did but don't quote me. Few people seem to have them anymore since these cars have changed hands so many times.
    It is now offered as an extra cost through SLP to help document these cars.

This is another thing I didn't understand... why GM would unveil a V6 and the "2SS" (or whatever it is), and not the Z28 before the SS.
    Ya, I think the "2" SS is kinda silly and just adds more confusion to the whole concept.
    Just call it an SS and leave it be, no need to complicate something that already works. But who am I to say

Like I mentioned, the Z28 and SS were 2 completely difference cars for a purpose during the 67-72 model run. I won't go into details as it would take some typing.
    But the Z28 carried throughout the years as the mother of all camaros after the SS dissappeared, not to be seen again until 96 or 97??

Now it seems the opposite is true. I don't understand what GM is thinking sometimes.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Ya, I think the "2" SS is kinda silly and just adds more confusion to the whole concept.
    Just call it an SS and leave it be, no need to complicate something that already works. But who am I to say

Like I mentioned, the Z28 and SS were 2 completely difference cars for a purpose during the 67-72 model run. I won't go into details as it would take some typing.
    But the Z28 carried throughout the years as the mother of all camaros after the SS dissappeared, not to be seen again until 96 or 97??

Now it seems the opposite is true. I don't understand what GM is thinking sometimes.
    Hell, I read somewhere that the WS6/SS's were available sometime in the '95 model year line in CA, as they did the same with the 3.8 changeover, when the rest took affect in '96. I will say, I've seen 2 '95 V6 camaros with 3.8s, and the VIN did come back as the original engine in the car. As for the SS/WS6, don't take that for gospel

SOM
    2002 FireHawk

Yeah GM has done some very baffling things. I guess that is why they had to file bankrupcy. Although in the early 70's many problems were caused by the federal govt. But being a car guy and not looking at just basic transportion, what I think is important I guess is not in the big scheme of things. At the least GM, Ford and even Chrysler gives what I deem basic for a car. Some high in imports also, but I am talking working man affordable.

Sometimes being the biggest is not the best. When you have layers of people needed to study something before a decision is made, not good. JMHO.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I believe it did but don't quote me. Few people seem to have them anymore since these cars have changed hands so many times.
    It is now offered as an extra cost through SLP to help document these cars.
    I don't believe the birth certificate came with all SS. One of my better friends has a 2002 black SS he bought brand new. He had to get his certificate from SLP as one of those options IIRC.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I don't believe the birth certificate came with all SS. One of my better friends has a 2002 black SS he bought brand new. He had to get his certificate from SLP as one of those options IIRC.
    And this is why I will never support SLP, by word of mouth or financially

Thread Information