SS hood cut outs

I was looking under the hood last night and noticed two inch wide cut outs in the scoop airways any idea what this is for? Is there some option that actually uses the cut outs?

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    I was looking under the hood last night and noticed two inch wide cut outs in the scoop airways any idea what this is for? Is there some option that actually uses the cut outs?
    It is for forced induction. It pushes fresh air into the air box. There is a slot under the air box that air flows through. It is functional with all the duct work under the hood.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

most people agree its a very crappy/inefficient system though because instead of going straight back the air has to make 2 180 degree turns before it can enter the airbox. an undercar cai kit is MUCH better.

Black, Blue
    07 TBSS, 07 GSXR1000

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    most people agree its a very crappy/inefficient system though because instead of going straight back the air has to make 2 180 degree turns before it can enter the airbox. an undercar cai kit is MUCH better.

Yeah I know about the forced air through the hood but my curiosity is about the stamped cut outs I'll have to take a picture of them. I'm just wondering why they are there.

black
    02 z28 vert M6

i kno exactly what ur talking about,....but i think most Fbodys have the heat cloth or w/e on the hood

Any idea what they are for? I have nothing under the hood no heat cloth or any kind of shield and figured it came that way.

SSMOKIN_SS
    True the Air Induction system on the SS isn't as good as it is on the WS6, but the hood scoop looks bad as hell though.

black
    02 z28 vert M6

lol hell yeh the hood scoop looks bad ass insted of that plain long ass hood....im still debating on paying 500+ for a SS hood just for looks, the heat just soaks in n u get hot air anyways....plus i have a black car in FL so no help...

One of the tricks to the SS hood is to open the ram air slots even larger, as the factory openings are rather small. I have seen write ups in magazines about opening the holes larger, but I am reluctant to cut on an expensive hood,,,so I opted for the ram air kit under the box to grab fresh air from underneath as well. Larry.

NATRALLY ASPIRATED 495 HP TASWEET SS's Avatar

pull me over RED
    2002 camaro SS

hey man check out the hood scoop after you paint it, it makes it stand out better in my opinion, click on my members name TASWEET SS

maroon
    94 z28

What are some good websites for motor upgrades and bolt-on?

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

in all, the hood look's nice but it is not really functional until you hit about 80mph.

SSMOKIN_SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    One of the tricks to the SS hood is to open the ram air slots even larger, as the factory openings are rather small. I have seen write ups in magazines about opening the holes larger, but I am reluctant to cut on an expensive hood,,,so I opted for the ram air kit under the box to grab fresh air from underneath as well. Larry.
    Where did you get this kit from?

SSMOKIN_SS
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyz28 View Post
    in all, the hood look's nice but it is not really functional until you hit about 80mph.
    I don't know about that. I've heard that if your going like 40mph the Ram Air is half that. So you figure you going 100mph that means 50mph of air "induction" is going into your engine. That's not bad.

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_SS View Post
    I don't know about that. I've heard that if your going like 40mph the Ram Air is half that. So you figure you going 100mph that means 50mph of air "induction" is going into your engine. That's not bad.
    Does'nt matter what anyone say's. The SS hood was not designed for performance. It was designed for appearence. Just look under a Stock, un modded, OEM Camaro SS hood and you will know what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by SSMOKIN_SS View Post
    Where did you get this kit from?
    I bought mine from SLP, but there are others out there as well,,,some of which come down even further to grab air from under the front bumper. Mine comes down about half way and grabs air that is forced up in front of the radiator via the front air dam.

If you simply just cut the plastic under the stock air box/and under the filter you get the same affect and this is considered a free mod that most shops and individuals do right off the bat,,,the only difference is mine has a sheetmetal duct that directs the air to the filter in a more positive way. It's a simple mod and is undetectable once the air box is back in place.

I did this mod even though I have an SS with a factory ram air hood, because as mentioned before the SS hoods are not as efficient with the scoop in the middle of the hood, and air has to make too many turns to get back to the front of the engine,,,,thanks to the throttle body being way up front.

Thread Information