Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Question SS with free ram air or SLP Lower Duct Work?

Ok so I have seen some stuff about this and I was curious. What will happen if I put a lower ram air setup on my car along with the factory ss hood? Good Bad or what?

I know the slp flo pac has this, but some people say that it might hurt whatever ram air I am getting.

Also what is the deal with this one from Whisper Motorsports - http://www.whispermotorsports.com/fbody.html
    WS6 store doesn't say it will not work with an ss??

I am just wondering if I should use a lower duct work/free ram air mod with an slp air lid? What will the outcome be? Good or bad, thanks. I am doing the SLP Air Lid for sure, just wondering if I should add something to the bottom or leave it.....

white
    98 SS

I did the fra mod about 2 yrs after purhcasing my SS in 98. after doing so, I observed a lot more dirt in the filter in the shape of the fra mod.....so i figured it worked much better than just the hood (maybe b/c its from a high pressure area underneath the car). About a year ago I switched the the volant, which is a closed system and I took a dremmel to the openings under the hood to add effectiveness. I just like the idea of a true-ram air despite the fact that all lids and systems pretty much work the same, horsepower-wise.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

hate to say it, but our hoods don't do much besides look pretty. there's been alot of debate about them and how well they work but they supposedly get you 5% more horsepower at 100 mph. the flo pack works way better and wont really offset any performance.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

maybe it was 1%? I can't rememeber.

white
    98 SS

Despite blowing out the fiberglass that I took the dremmel to with a grass blower, the first time I drove my car with the closed ram air system, I had a lot of powder around the filter after only driving 35 mph for a short distance. I would take this as evidence that just the hood by itself works pretty good after all.

I've done this mod on my 02 SS. The hoods work somewhat,,,after making a pair of 180 degree turns,,,lol,,,,but the small opening in front of the air lid is not helping matters either,,,unlike the WS6 which has a much taller opening in front of the lid.

With this in mind,,,I did the free ram air mod and installed the duct work from SLP to help (more or less) direct the air up to the filter.

It doesn't have any ill affects on the hood and all works fine on my car.

Usually the free ram air mod is the first thing done to all the LS1 4th gens whether it's an SS or WS6 or not,,,,it benifits them all.

SAM was one of the first to experiment with this on there Orange 98 SS back when it was new. Cutting the opening under the hood where it first comes out in front of the lid, cutting out under the filter, etc...and the car was ran after every mod with slight improvements everytime. It was a great article.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I've done this mod on my 02 SS. The hoods work somewhat,,,after making a pair of 180 degree turns,,,lol,,,,but the small opening in front of the air lid is not helping matters either,,,unlike the WS6 which has a much taller opening in front of the lid.

With this in mind,,,I did the free ram air mod and installed the duct work from SLP to help (more or less) direct the air up to the filter.

It doesn't have any ill affects on the hood and all works fine on my car.

Usually the free ram air mod is the first thing done to all the LS1 4th gens whether it's an SS or WS6 or not,,,,it benifits them all.

SAM was one of the first to experiment with this on there Orange 98 SS back when it was new. Cutting the opening under the hood where it first comes out in front of the lid, cutting out under the filter, etc...and the car was ran after every mod with slight improvements everytime. It was a great article.

HORSEPOWER HANDBOOK!

Quote Originally Posted by 35thAnniZ28 View Post
    HORSEPOWER HANDBOOK!
    Very much so. It should be required reading for every 4th gen owner.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Very much so. It should be required reading for every 4th gen owner.
    I'm not sure what everyone is talking about? What book? Thanks!

Also, I am looking for a lower air lid, the part the filter sits in and bolts to the body. Does anybody have one? Thanks!

Not sure if they made an actual book or not,,,it was a series of articles in a magazine at the time. It was very good reading on how SAM modified a 98 SS at various stages with track times to show improvements,,,,starting with very basic/simple/free mods and progressing from there.

I am not sure but maybe they have something on their website about it,,,or maybe all of the articles were compiled into one,,,,been years since I have seen it,,,maybe someone here knows something more recent and can chime in.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

oh ok so its just about the free mods and things. I have seen that before.

Pewter
    02 Z28

does the FRA mod affect cooling in any way? its really hot in Cali and I dont want to risk overheating my engine

Thread Information