Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

SS final touches...

Ok so I have a 98 Z28 which I have done a full SS conversion too. All OEM GM SLP stuff including SLP Grille, Bilstein/SLP/Eibach level 2 suspension kit, SLP Hood and SLP Spoiler. I just purchased the 3 sets of silver SS badges, the question is, were do they go. I know on the fender and rear berger panel but any exact measurements or a template? Ive tried searching but found nothing exact. Any help would be appreciated as I want this car to be as real as can be. Also if anyone is about to come down on me that it isnt a real SS or whatever, its as real as it can be without me of buying it new in 98 and sending it to SLP and SS's are not easy to find where I am so this is what I had.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Camaro98Z/28 View Post
    Ok so I have a 98 Z28 which I have done a full SS conversion too. All OEM GM SLP stuff including SLP Grille, Bilstein/SLP/Eibach level 2 suspension kit, SLP Hood and SLP Spoiler. I just purchased the 3 sets of silver SS badges, the question is, were do they go. I know on the fender and rear berger panel but any exact measurements or a template? Ive tried searching but found nothing exact. Any help would be appreciated as I want this car to be as real as can be. Also if anyone is about to come down on me that it isnt a real SS or whatever, its as real as it can be without me of buying it new in 98 and sending it to SLP and SS's are not easy to find where I am so this is what I had.
    I can't see anyone giving you crap about what you're doing. The only thing I have to ask is where are the photo's?!

Black
    2013 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE

I know you mentioned you don't have many SS's in your area but your best bet would probably be going to a Car show where an SS would be or catching one on the Street. Just make sure you have a ruler handy and a camera, take some pics and measurements for reference. I believe the SS looks really enhanced the Z28 so your doing fine in my book (as long as your wallet can handle it).

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

usually the SS "purests" will get on my case since its not a real SS and Im making a clone Im taking away from their elistest status.
    IMHO I just love the car, rebuilt the motor and due to a mistake ended up blowing it up, replaced it and I've put a lot of work into it so I like it more than an SS due to the wrech time, but I love the SS look so I decided to clone mine and not half ass it, real GM stuff.

I have the SLP ZR1 wheels coming soon for it.

Heres some pictures:

not bad for 118K

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

I put a real SS Hood and lighter Aftermarket SS Spoiler on my car as well, but I left my Z badges on because I think the Z28 should have looked like that (4th Gen was the only Gen they screwed up the Z28/SS order)

I'm not gonna give ya crap for it though lol

There's a thread on tech about the exact measurements on where the SS emblems go.. I won't directly link you but I'll shoot ya a PM.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thank you so much!

IMHO I'd of kept the Z28 (especially since the new Z28 will blow the SS away) but I couldnt find a Z28 badge to fit the SLP grille and I didnt like the bowtie version.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Keep your Z a Z and leave the SS's to we the elite, please.

j/k Nice looking car man, you've done a lot of good work to her so far, keep it up.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Thanks!

Heres everything shes got now

TR224 114 LSA, LS2 Chain Gears & Trays, LS7 Lifters, Manley PRs, PAC Valve Springs, SLP Ported/Shimmed Oil Pump, SLP SS Hood, SLP SS Grille, SLP SS Spoiler, SLP Lid, K&N Panel, SLP Bilstein Strut Spring Package, 1LE Front Sway, Circle D 3200 Stall, PS LTs & Y, Magnaflow Cat-Back, BMR ADJ LCAs and Panhard, UMI SFC, TUNED BY JJS PERFORMANCE, Pioneer AVH-4000 HU, All Infinity Speakers.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Thanks!

Heres everything shes got now

TR224 114 LSA, LS2 Chain Gears & Trays, LS7 Lifters, Manley PRs, PAC Valve Springs, SLP Ported/Shimmed Oil Pump, SLP SS Hood, SLP SS Grille, SLP SS Spoiler, SLP Lid, K&N Panel, SLP Bilstein Strut Spring Package, 1LE Front Sway, Circle D 3200 Stall, PS LTs & Y, Magnaflow Cat-Back, BMR ADJ LCAs and Panhard, UMI SFC, TUNED BY JJS PERFORMANCE, Pioneer AVH-4000 HU, All Infinity Speakers.
    Well...you got my elite ass beat

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

throw some zr1 wheels on there and I think you have it. car looks good. definitely love the look of the SS hood/spoiler so much more.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Check with a body shop for the exact location of the emblems if you haven't found it already.
    Congrats on the custom job. A Z28 to an SS is cool.
    I'm turning my Z28 into a base model, costmetically that is.
    Pics of your new SS look great.
    As suggested above, we all love pics. Here is one of mine, badges and side guards gone. Still got the Z28 exhaust tips for now.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

^2nd fav color right there
    the 99 Bright Blue is my personal fav

and so far no such luck on the info, if anyone can take a picture of theres with a measuring tape it would be appreciated haha

white
    2002 z28 camaro

Thumbs up

Looks good bro, post some more when you get tru with her.Keep up the good work

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Let's see if I can help. Hopefully the image can give you a ball park idea. It's dark and cold right now or I'd go out and measure for you.

Black
    00 camaro ss M6 #6695

Nice car bro. If you want to clone your car to am SS is your car and is your money. Do whatever makes you happy. You are not the only one doin that.
    I did the same to my Z. I went with aftermarket pats. Wing/hood. The fitment was horrible. I sold the parts and made moreover if what I paid lol. I bought the OEM parts. No issues with making them fit, my car did looked like an ss. But I had in my mind it was a Z28. So I ended it up selling it. Which I regret now.
    I have some pix on my albums if you want to look at it.
    I took off the z emblems on the side. I just left the one on the rear panel,
    Lot of people tought it was an ss. And the car looked great.
    Keep That car looking clean man.
    Good looking car
    00 ss blk m6 " STOCK" strano springs, slp bilstein shocks, adj LCA, adj panhard bar, relocation brackets, 2 point SFCs welded,OEM zo6 rims black, magnaflow exhaust, CME exhaust,E/cutout, slp grille, custom front plate mount, HIDs, whistler mod, side moldings delete, slp air lid, ported and polished TB, strut tower brace, 3.73s gears, and some other parts to list!
    next to come,4.10s,ls7 clutch, ms3 or 228r cam, ported 243s, ls6 intake, ls6 oil pump. ls2 timing chain, longtube headers no cats, with a tune..
    02 tahoe Z71 blacked out
    00 jeep grand Cherokee limited on 22s.
    07 Dodge Charger R/T Inferno Red, Sold
    98 z28 red m6 sold
    07 zx6r ninja flat/black sold
    08 zx6r ninja sold

Join the PHK @ thephk.org Sommer86@6LE's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm one of those purists that hates that you're doing this since I think those are the type of folks who will then turn around and try to sell it as an SS. (sorry, i'm just a prick at times, lol)

I paid to have a car that's "called an SS"...but what can you do, right?

This should probably be a sticky here...it's the same SS placement gide i'm using for my SS.

Here's what I got for ya (from Tech):

"I just did this the other day for someone that was asking about the same thing.

In the first pic it is 1.5" from the bottom of the emblem to the top of the molding and 4.125" from the emblem to the edge of the fender where the line is drawn.

I think this pic is self explanatory

In this pic, it is 6.875" from the edge of the "O" to the bottom corner of the bowtie emblem.

"

Join the PHK
    2009 LS1.com Calendar Car

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sommer86@6LE View Post
    I'm one of those purists that hates that you're doing this since I think those are the type of folks who will then turn around and try to sell it as an SS. (sorry, i'm just a prick at times, lol)

I paid to have a car that's "called an SS"...but what can you do, right?

This should probably be a sticky here...it's the same SS placement gide i'm using for my SS.

Here's what I got for ya (from Tech):

"I just did this the other day for someone that was asking about the same thing.

In the first pic it is 1.5" from the bottom of the emblem to the top of the molding and 4.125" from the emblem to the edge of the fender where the line is drawn.

Click for full size

I think this pic is self explanatory

Click for full size

In this pic, it is 6.875" from the edge of the "O" to the bottom corner of the bowtie emblem.

Click for full size

"
    this should be a sticky for sure. great info.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    Check with a body shop for the exact location of the emblems if you haven't found it already.
    Congrats on the custom job. A Z28 to an SS is cool.
    I'm turning my Z28 into a base model, costmetically that is.
    Pics of your new SS look great.
    As suggested above, we all love pics. Here is one of mine, badges and side guards gone. Still got the Z28 exhaust tips for now.
    Click for full size
    i like how you have that "sleeper" thing going on,many will mistake your car for a v6 & get their ass handed to em LoL! you'll have them scratching their heads for sure

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

i say go for it if you want to make your car an SS do whatever makes you feel happy,if that's what you can afford do it at the end of the day its still your car forget how other ppl may think and feel,you aren't the first person to have a cloned car & you wont be the last ppl been cloning cars for years,i have seen guys take 93-97 f bodys both V6 & LT1 cars and completly convert them to 98-02 LS1 cars,all you need is (money,a donor car,tools & time)with f bodys,by the parts being so interchangable you might see a 93 v6 T/A with the 98-02 conversion complete with an LS1, dash w/working gauges,full interior etc only way to truly know is from the vin# so build your SS i cant wait until you get finished good luck
    Last edited by fbodyNATION; 02-02-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by fbodyNATION View Post
    i like how you have that "sleeper" thing going on,many will mistake your car for a v6 & get their ass handed to em LoL! you'll have them scratching their heads for sure
    Thanks. I don't get to race with a worthy opponent much around here. Mostly just a bunch of FWD economy cars with teenage drivers. I get tired of racing civics with body kits and coffee can mufflers.

The intent of the badge delete was to get a few of them to stop annoying me. Thinking about going with a aftermarket exhaust to get rid of the Z28 tips or maybe a single outlet exhaust even.

Maybe it is better to make the car stand out more like the OP converting a Z28 to an SS. I have been searching for the perfect stall and LT headers for a while. Might be able to scare them away.

Thread Information