Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

SS as a daily driver?

My "reliable" daily driver just died ('98 Olds 88), and I've decided it's not worth fixing. Almost a grand to get it running right, plus I think it's burning coolant. I'm all set with that, the only thing I liked about the car was that it got 28mpg with the 3.8.

Sooo, I've been thinking about what to replace it with, and my thoughts turned to F-Bodies. In 2000 I had a '98 Formy for a while, and I still kick myself for trading it in on a Jeep. I figure now it's time to right that wrong, but I'm thinking this time I want to go SS. I've always like the F-Bods, so far I've had an '80 TA, a '88 GTA and the '98 Formy. I sit in one, and it just feels like home, y'know?

How are these as DD's? I drive about 30 miles each way to work, so I'm in the car alot and rack up some miles. I figure I drive so much, it ought to be in style, right? My commute is mostly rural roads and highway, hardly any city to speak of, so is it realistic to hope to get 24-25mpg with the A4 and a light foot?

I got 20 or so with my M6 Formy on average, but that was with a heavy foot. I had gotten 28 with it on highway trips. The Formy wasn't a DD, just a toy, so I never drove it that much, unless I drove the 2 hours to the track.

Since the youngest of these cars is 5 years old now, can they be considered reliable? Iknow mostly this is hugely impractical as a DD, but I don't care. I just need reasonable fuel econmy and reliability.

I actually saw one I'm interested in, a 2000 loaded A4 SS with 37k, for 14grand. Seven years old, but with the mileage of a 3 year old car. Might this be a good candidate for a good DD?

The 14k is pretty much the top end of my price range, any other newer car that I'd want to drive is at least 5k more.

Any input?

Thanks alot!!

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

They work fine as a daily driver. My 2000 SS is my daily driver, about 35 miles / day round trip to work. It now has just shy of 75,000 miles on it. Over time, things will wear out on it , but no more so than on any other car, unless maybe you dog it all the time. They get pretty damn good mileage considering the power under the hood. Mine's an M6. On a mostly highway trip with the A/C on, doing 70-75 mph, I get 26-27 mpg. The A4 will probably average a little less than that.

N/A
    99 Z28

I just tripped 100k and my mielage is pretty descent

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Thanks for the info.

I think I'm going to go for it. What the hell, I ought to do it now, before I need a "family" car.

I was thinking more about the mileage, and so what if it costs me ten bucks a week more than the Olds. Lets see, we have a 320hp sports car, as compared to a 195hp boat my grandfather gave me. Yeah, ten bucks more a week is a bargain.

Having a car payment again will suck, but hey, it's the American way.

The one thing that bothers me is that I almost think these cars are too nice to put 20k miles a year on, which is about what I do.

Winter won't be fun, but luckily I still have my '97 Jeep for that. That thing is horrendous on gas, I get about 16 or so with the 4.0L straight six and 31" tires.

Bright Rally Red
    1996 Camaro SS

I you find a six speed mileage is still great 26+ I have had my SS at 4 years now and put 40k miles on her and have since done a motor rebuild at 105k miles. Still runs great and gives me a smile on the way to work every day.

--------- Chris - 1996 Camaro Z28SS #1524 ---------
    LT4 Cam Kit | Comp Lifters/PR's | Jet Hot LT's & ORY | Corsa RSC Exhaust | SLP Bilstiens | S-C/D Rotors | 1LE Elbow | !EGR/AIR
    madZ tune | 17x11 Chrome ZR-1's | Berger Panel | Fillins | BMR STB | Autometer A/F & Trans Temp | !Mouldings | Zaino

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

It'll be good as a DD.. I average 30miles a day... on hilly roads during the day and then highway at night... it's pretty good about roughtly $40-$50 weekly on 93 oct. gas... it's Auto... so it hurts when you're in traffic...but other then that it's fine
    Mods: SLP Air Lid w/ KN, Free-Mods, LS6 Manifold, Magnaflow, Headers, EFILive
    Visuals: Angel eyes, rear eurolights and T/A rims
    Suspension: Eibach ProKit, UMI Adj. Panhard, SFC's, LCA Relocation brakets, KYB AGX shocks

http://www.fquick.com/garages/Chevro...28/1999/23674/

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

get a 6 speed for sure as its slightly faster AND gets much better gas milage..cant lose.....take it easy on the gas ..cruise at 70.youll do 28-29mpg all day long highway..with an auto i hear low 20s...21-24....273s or 323s would also make a diff im sure

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    get a 6 speed for sure as its slightly faster AND gets much better gas milage..cant lose.....take it easy on the gas ..cruise at 70.youll do 28-29mpg all day long highway..with an auto i hear low 20s...21-24....273s or 323s would also make a diff im sure
    As far as the six speed....whether or not it's faster is debatable. I guess with the right driver. I am not that driver. My first runs at the track with my 98 Formy M6 were horrible...I didn't even break out of the 14's. I could not launch that car to save my life. I'd either bog it, or I'd just sit there with a massive amount of wheelspin.

Once I got a little better I managed a 13.7 @ 108, which leads me to believe that was a low 13 second car, at least with a decent driver behind the wheel.

Anyway, not to sound like a wuss, but truthfully I grew to dislike the M6, I didn't enjoy driving it nearly as much as I should have. That's a big reason I got rid of it.

Funny thing was I searched all over for that car, it was a rare combo.

I DID get great mileage with it though.

Anyway, I figure this time around I'd be much happier with an auto.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

My car's a daily driver. It bought it with like 51xxx and it's creeping up on 60,000. So far not a single problem, I am trying to save up for some 4 banger so I can save her and turn her into a racecar.
    Last edited by SAGGIN; 06-14-2007 at 05:15 PM.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

my z28 is my dd and i love it

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    As far as the six speed....whether or not it's faster is debatable. I guess with the right driver. I am not that driver. My first runs at the track with my 98 Formy M6 were horrible...I didn't even break out of the 14's. I could not launch that car to save my life. I'd either bog it, or I'd just sit there with a massive amount of wheelspin.

Once I got a little better I managed a 13.7 @ 108, which leads me to believe that was a low 13 second car, at least with a decent driver behind the wheel.

Anyway, not to sound like a wuss, but truthfully I grew to dislike the M6, I didn't enjoy driving it nearly as much as I should have. That's a big reason I got rid of it.

Funny thing was I searched all over for that car, it was a rare combo.

I DID get great mileage with it though.

Anyway, I figure this time around I'd be much happier with an auto.
    in a street race from a roll a 6 speed is ALWAYS faster..u have much better gearing..ive raced several autos from rolls when i had my stock z..always came out on top...even beat an auto c5 from a 70 roll ....but your right from a dead stop u have to be a great driver to be faster out of the hole

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

dd here

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Great Daily driver I drove mine to work everyday for 5 years 55 miles one way. Auto 2.73's at that and with just the standart free mods K&N lid etc I was banging on 30 MPG's doorstep. All this six speed better faster etc stuff is well opinion. My auto cruised 80 MPH and was LESS than 2K on the tach and got easily in the high 20's. My dad drove it and told me he got 31 out of it going to Kentuky but that was him I can't verify. I regularly saw 28-29 mpg, raced it regularly and never really had a big problem or any problem at that. Never missed a day of work because of the car. It's over 146k Now and is retired from DD status because I finally wanted to see some real numbers. Thinking about getting another for a DD though.

You can mess with a 2.73 geared auto from a roll if ya want to. I beat a 400 RWHP TA like that with just a handful of boltons, especially from 40 or 80. 3 out of 4 races and the only time he beat me was when I kept it in second from a start instead of leaving it in D and letting it kick down by itself. Auto 2.73's are lethal from a punch when It kicks it down to the right gear 3.42's reduce that alot.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

Mines a daily... been modding it along the way.. hasn't let me down in over a year that I've had her... as far as gas mileage.. the 3.73s that I swapped in aren't helping me much.. LOL... getting around 19 with my heavy ass foot... but they shaved off more than 3 tenths off my time.
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Red
    2000 Trans Am

i got close to 30 MPG on the highway with my A4.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

If you get a auto don't put a stall in it, I only get about 18-20 on a good day.

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

WHy not? Its a lot more fun. I'll take a little less mileage for the fun any day.

pewter

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    Great Daily driver I drove mine to work everyday for 5 years 55 miles one way. Auto 2.73's at that and with just the standart free mods K&N lid etc I was banging on 30 MPG's doorstep. All this six speed better faster etc stuff is well opinion. My auto cruised 80 MPH and was LESS than 2K on the tach and got easily in the high 20's. My dad drove it and told me he got 31 out of it going to Kentuky but that was him I can't verify. I regularly saw 28-29 mpg, raced it regularly and never really had a big problem or any problem at that. Never missed a day of work because of the car. It's over 146k Now and is retired from DD status because I finally wanted to see some real numbers. Thinking about getting another for a DD though.

You can mess with a 2.73 geared auto from a roll if ya want to. I beat a 400 RWHP TA like that with just a handful of boltons, especially from 40 or 80. 3 out of 4 races and the only time he beat me was when I kept it in second from a start instead of leaving it in D and letting it kick down by itself. Auto 2.73's are lethal from a punch when It kicks it down to the right gear 3.42's reduce that alot.
    im 400 rwhp...im down for this ....40 is my 2nd sweet spot and 80 is my 3rd sweet spot....your outta your mind unless he had huge traction issues or couldnt pick the correct gear.....ate a full bolt on 04 mach 1 stang ALIVE from a roll the other day..over and over and over...intake/long tubes/catless/pully/tune its a buddy of mines he CLAIMS 400 flyheel horse....i suspect its more like 360-370.......definitly anyones race from a dead stop though....launch/traction etc etc etc

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 00ssSLP View Post
    If you get a auto don't put a stall in it, I only get about 18-20 on a good day.
    A stall isn't necessarily a bad thing for a daily. If you do a lot of in town driving, a stall will reduce your MPG because the stall doesn't lock up in the stop and go town driving. If your daily driving consists of a lot of highway driving, putting the stall in wouldn't be a bad thing. Once the stall locks up, your MPG would be fine.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Thanks for all the info!

I definitely want to get one now, all I need to do is find the right one.

Thread Information