Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SS Clone

Black
    98 Camaro SS

SS Clone

I just bought a Camaro Z28, its got all the extra ss stuff on it but the vin doesnt check out to be a real ss. I'm kinda new to the whole Camaro scene i just wanted to know if its totally dishonorable to have a cloned ss.

Black/Black
    1999 Z28 M6 Vert

Be proud of your Z!!! not much difference between the ss and z28

Sure? No WU8 RPO code?

Black
    98 Camaro SS

yeah. its kinda a half done clone anyways. it'd be more expensive to take it back then it would be to finish up the cloning so i think i'm gonna finish it

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ztwenty8 View Post
    Be proud of your Z!!! not much difference between the ss and z28
    must disagree there is a big difference

Silver
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rrgray8 View Post
    must disagree there is a big difference
    Must disagree with your disagreeing.

In the realm of modded F-bodies, there's little that makes an SS an SS that is left unchanged. When all is said and done, the only thing seperating 99% of us LS1.com guy's Zs and SS is the Hood, Spoiler, and badges. I don't think that having a Z look like an SS is wrong, but I wouldn't stick the badges on there, either leave the Z-28 badges, or put old school badges on there. Whenever I have the dough, I'll be outfitting the Z with an SS hood and Spoiler, I just have a hard time justifying the >1k it'll cost, when at the end of the day, my car isn't any faster. I figure I'll just go sleeper until the build up is satisfying...as it kind of is now...then boom, appearance mods.
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

call SLP on the number on the web site, they will tell you,
    www.slponline.com

yeah just don't put ss badges on a clone unless its over 30 years old.

I got a 1999 ss that has been transformed into a z28. I checked all the vin's and all and it is a real ss just they took the hood of it and the spoiler and left the exhaust and put z28 badges on it. Im guesting they sold the hood and spoiler. no big deal I like z28 more I think.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    Must disagree with your disagreeing.

In the realm of modded F-bodies, there's little that makes an SS an SS that is left unchanged. When all is said and done, the only thing seperating 99% of us LS1.com guy's Zs and SS is the Hood, Spoiler, and badges. I don't think that having a Z look like an SS is wrong, but I wouldn't stick the badges on there, either leave the Z-28 badges, or put old school badges on there. Whenever I have the dough, I'll be outfitting the Z with an SS hood and Spoiler, I just have a hard time justifying the >1k it'll cost, when at the end of the day, my car isn't any faster. I figure I'll just go sleeper until the build up is satisfying...as it kind of is now...then boom, appearance mods.
    i am speaking in the realm of right out of the box so to speak. any car can be beefed up. the ss looks better, handles better and is faster. Please dont make me look up and post all the numbers I really dont want to waste time doing that. I have raced several different year Z28's that were stock and had no problem out performing them all.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

i am speaking in the realm of right out of the box so to speak. any car can be beefed up. the ss looks better, handles better and is faster. Please dont make me look up and post all the numbers I really dont want to waste time doing that. I have raced several different year Z28's that were stock and had no problem out performing them all.
    Yea, and with an SS the headlights are brighter, the paint is more lustrious, the air conditioning smells better, and you can't forget about that extra 100 HP

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

WOW

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Yea, and with an SS the headlights are brighter, the paint is more lustrious, the air conditioning smells better, and you can't forget about that extra 100 HP
    Oh yea, and the SS has window motors that don't short out. Totally different than a Z28.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by kalanschlo View Post
    I just bought a Camaro Z28, its got all the extra ss stuff on it but the vin doesnt check out to be a real ss. I'm kinda new to the whole Camaro scene i just wanted to know if its totally dishonorable to have a cloned ss.
    Don't put the SS badges on it. You don't want to be a poser. I think the retro Z28 badges would look good on it.

I say Badge that puppy if it has the exterior mods like hood, spoiler and wheels. And there is not that much difference between a Z28 and an SS, at least its nothing that you can't do yourself. Even the retail price difference was only about 3k or so, depending on the year. And the only people that will tell you to not badge it are jealous factory SS(WS6+RA) owners who paid the extra amount when they bought the car. But there's more than one way to get what you want.

Someone once said: "your friends will never relish your successes like you do. Because your successes are their failures."

You see, when you prosper more, it makes others look less prosperous. THat's what it really boils down to. Jealousy. haha that's why they hate it. So I say all the more reason to GO FOR IT.
    Last edited by Chad97z; 11-14-2006 at 06:09 AM.

Black
    2001 Z28

I personally dont think that the ss is that much better, you get maybe 10 more horses to the wheels and thats it, there is more hp difference between a4 and an m6 then an z28 and a ss. but for the guy with a clone, finish it up and yea dont put the badges on

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

RE-BADGE IT!!!!!! it's you car and you do what you want with it. Slap a hood, spoiler, and some SS badges on that baby and enjoy. If you want mod the hell out of it and nobody will even know. (unless they check the vin)
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

nc98z
    Well I could have bought a SS instead of my Z28 but when I drove them both the Z28 out performed it. I don't like SLPs overpriced addons and the price increase that Chevy threw on the cars because they were SSs. The only thing that a SS has over a Z28 is the Kelly Blue Book value.

SOM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nc98z View Post
    Well I could have bought a SS instead of my Z28 but when I drove them both the Z28 out performed it. I don't like SLPs overpriced addons and the price increase that Chevy threw on the cars because they were SSs. The only thing that a SS has over a Z28 is the Kelly Blue Book value.

just think about this no matter what anyone says the ss still gets more attention than the Z and that's the bottom line. I say go ahead and badge it up if you want to, but I got to admit I like the old Z28 badge better than the SS.

Ugly but well hung, A-10 SS#1531's Avatar
    1998 Camaro SS M6 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    yeah just don't put ss badges on a clone unless its over 30 years old.

It's funny how a 1st gen clone is totally accepted, but a 4th gen clone isn't, yet I compeletly agree with that reasoning. I have no problem with adding SS parts to a Z28, but don't rebadge it. You'll look and feel like a poser, and besides there's nothing wrong with a Z28 in the first place and you should be proud of it.

Thread Information