Maroon
    2002 Z28

SLP air lid upgrade

Hi to all of you. I am new here and took possession of my newest Camaro in the spring. I previously owned a 93 M6 and a 94 automatic. I liked both of them but looked forward to when I could get a nice LS1. The new Camaro helped there a lot!
    The previous owner of my car had installed a K&N filter and SLP airbox. Everything about this motor is new to me so I tend to take things apart a bit to see inside. When I took off the air filter I noticed there was some debris on the maf sensor screen. This told me the air lid was not sealing as it should. long story short is that I got some closed cell weatherstriping foam and put enough on that lid to close off that gap.
    I am telling you all so you may make sure you do not have the same problem I had. Any outside crud going into any motor is not a good thing. Sometimes things do not perform as designed....that is what I found here, and unless you are observant it could go on for a long time, not good. Another thing I found is that my K&N filter was not oiled all that well. I applied more to it as these tend to let some dirt pass, (it really is not the most effective filter out there, but it does flow well, that's why) and less oil = more dirt getting by. Also, that foam sticks well and is not going anywhere. If I knew how to insert a picture here I would, I do not know how to do url's

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Too much oil used on the K&N also gunks up the MAF with oil and you also get oil in your intake. That's the reason why most people on here don't use them or recommend them.

Welcome to the site.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I think my SLP lid came with an extra strip of foam along the back edge. Haven't had any issues with that. As Jon mentioned, you are better off with a paper filter or, step up to a nanofiber air filter like the Amsoil Ea. Dry media filters are so much better for cars equipped with mass air flow sensors. My personal experience with K&N is that they allow way too much dirt to pass into an engine -- oiled or not.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

Yeah perhaps I should move to a better filter. Had K&N's on both my 2 other Camaros each of which I had for 4 years. I made sure there was a good amount of oil on them and never had sensor issues. Amsoil would be a better filter, I just may get one.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Good plan. When you swap the filter, yank the MAF and clean it with some CRC MAF Cleaner. The oil from the filter sticks to the wires and then dirt adheres to the oily buildup. This acts to insulate the wire and results in air flow being misreported to the PCM.

Maroon
    2002 Z28

I do have some of that MAF cleaner and will give it a shot when I tinker with the intake again this spring....From my past experience with those filters I think I have found the right amount of oil to apply without causing problems. I also do not drive in overly dirty situations, and that helps.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Whenever you use and reoil a K&N air filter always let them sit overnight to dry before installing them. Never over oil them as well. I like the spray bottle over the pump bottle.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

white
    99 Z28

Would it be worth it to just descreen the maf?

Maroon
    2002 Z28

From what I have read on descreening, it is not worth doing. Debateable, but I will keep my screen. Without it I would not have had the clues that something was wrong with the seal of the airbox......

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Never mess with the MAF. It is a calibrated instrument that measures air flow into your engine. When you alter the MAF, you also alter it's reporting accuracy.

white
    99 SS camaro

gut the maf an use a tune

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Why would you create a problem that then has to be fixed with a tune? The stock MAF will support almost 500 h.p. as is.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Why would you create a problem that then has to be fixed with a tune? The stock MAF will support almost 500 h.p. as is.
    My stock MAF is supporting more than that

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

As one of the other posters noted when you buy the SLP lid there is a strip of adhesive backed foam that is 16" long and 3/8" wide by 1/8" thick. To ensure the lid seals correctly you need to stick the adhesive strip to the back inside lip of the lid before installing over the filter. Problem is this strip will tend to rub off over time and need to be replaced if you like to mess with things and remove the lid frequently.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Maroon
    2002 Z28

It would appear the previous owner of my car did not even install that strip of foam.....there was no evidence of it ever being there. So, if you buy a used car check these things out before you drive them very far, you could save your motor some wear......All I knew was what I saw when I took it apart. Good to see they do give out some way of sealing out the dirt...why someone would not use it is beyond me.

white
    99 SS camaro

going to speed density ... my slp cold air kit came with the aluminum or ss cold air damn a lid and weather striping and the smooth bellow... had to use a heat gun to get it to slide on the maf sensor. It also came with an oiless blue filter

I have an MTI lid on the vert .. it fit like factory
    Last edited by Mr99SS405; 01-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by Forgiven View Post
    It would appear the previous owner of my car did not even install that strip of foam.....there was no evidence of it ever being there. So, if you buy a used car check these things out before you drive them very far, you could save your motor some wear......All I knew was what I saw when I took it apart. Good to see they do give out some way of sealing out the dirt...why someone would not use it is beyond me.
    The lid comes with instructions and a strip of foam, guess what gets thrown out with the packaging... "who the hell needs instructions to install a lid!"

Black/Black/Black
    2000 Camaro SS Vert #5301

Did the SLP lid and "free ram air" right after I bought my SS new. Sure does breathe better and never had any water or big debris problems as some have reported. Been 13 years now.
    2000 SS vert, #5301, triple black, A4, leather, 3.23,SLP lid & D/D, STB, chrome 5 spokes
    USN '64-'88
    #3 1951-2001

www.fquick.com/planemech2

Thread Information