Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Should I buy this z28?

Im, new here and this is my first post. Ok, so i have been saving for a 98-02 z28 for some time now and I have enough cash set aside. I found a 1999 Z28 with 100,000 miles on it ( i cant afford to get a lower mileage car ) but has severe damage to the rear left quarter panel. There is no mechanical damage and I talked the guy down to $4400. The car is mechanically sound, bone stock, t-tops, leather, 6 speed, clean inside and out except for the damage, well taken care of, no rust, new clutch and gets 30 mpg highway on long trips. Basicall I want to know if I should consider it or just pass this one up. I think I can get it fixed for under 600. Buy or not to buy?

here is a link to a photo http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...r447/?newest=1
    Last edited by camaroluvr447; 09-13-2009 at 04:19 AM.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

You can never know the extent of the damage until you get it fixed. Clean cars go for 6000-8000 for me pass.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

For 4400 i dont think its a bad deal. Dont know how bad the quarter panel is but it shouldn't be to bad to get it fixed. Only thing i would be concerned about it the fact that the clutch has been changed. Could be normal wear, could be beat on. Mileage isn't too bad, seen LS1s with much more.

Overall, its up to you. If it is a nice car and you truely think its for you then get it.
    If your asking yourelf if you should "settle" with this one, DONT "SETTLE".
    In the end its up to you
    My opinion, i would tell you to consider it

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

Its a badly dent quarter panel, but he has used synthetic, premium gas, and if it get 30 highway that is an indicator that the engine is still efficient. I have done lots of research about high mileage ls1's and im not nervous about 100,00. They r tough engines. I wandered about the clutch too, im sure it has been used (its a made for that, right?) but cant be sure it hasnt been abused.

both red
    1998 Z28 - 1991 Z28

problem w/ severe damage is its a unibody. Have a frame shop look at it on one of your "test" drives.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

i see.... so the panel couldnt be replaced, have to be fixed. Never even thought about that. thanx.
    here is a link to the photo of the car

http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...r447/?newest=1
    Last edited by camaroluvr447; 09-13-2009 at 04:18 AM.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by camaroluvr447 View Post
    i see.... so the panel couldnt be replaced, have to be fixed. Never even thought about that. thanx.
    That panel is not removable. Believe it blends with the rocker panel.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Good luck finding a camaro that hasnt been beat on. Thats what the car is made for, I m not talking about demolishing it but really everyone buys a camaro for fun. As for the clutch who knows I definately wouldnt worry about it, some idiot could have dumped the clutch at 6k you never know. So what if you have to throw another one in its part of the game. But as for that quarter I m not sure if that could be fixed for 600, like someone else said I would take it to a frame shop before buying for sure. And then you can use their estimate to maybe talk the guy down lower.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

here is a link to a photo of the car in case anyone want to see it. yeah i will definatly take it to a shop and have them look at it.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

here is a link to a photo of the car in case anyone want to see it. yeah i will definatly take it to a shop and have them look at it.

Didn't think it was that bad. Like said above take it to a frame shop. I know you already talked him down to 4400, but i would try to go a little lower. At least 4. My 98 A4 with 55K was 4000 in april. This is a 99 M6 with 100K and bent up pretty badly. I would haggle some more or find another car.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

That dent looks kind of bad. Did he/she let you open the trunk and shut the trunk? It looks like it might be ok but you never know.....does the driver side tailights work....

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Oh, and also ask to look under the rear quarter plastic panel to see the damage under there. Look at it from the inside to get a better view of the damage.

Pewter
    2000 Pewter Z28 M6

thanks guys, i am goin to look at it day after tomorrow... def will check out all the the things you said

Red
    1998 Trans Am WS6

you can find a nicer car for that price I am sure. there is a guy selling a 1998 SS, beautiful car in great shape with 150k for $5000 in Chicago

92 LS1 Lumina A4
    00 Formula WS9

Not a Bad price, considering parting it out would easily get your investment back. Motor running $2000, Tranny $1000 easily, front clip $800-$1000, Rear End $250, could go on and on.
    The Damage looks like it happened while the car was sitting still?
    As mentioned above look inside the Hatch for more damage, also look at the Fuel filler neck is it Bent?
    I'd beat him down to $3800, take it or leave it. $600 for a Quarter Panel installed and painted is cheap, Double check that price and get it in writing if you buy the car.
    Best of Luck.

I know of an '98 Red A4 Vert T/A with a Salvage title locally for $5500, prolly get it for $5000 ready to go. It's Clean and has 72,000 miles. Damage was isolated to the front and rear bumpers, it never bent the ends of the Frame rails.
    Last edited by Z34LS1; 09-18-2009 at 05:13 AM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Unless you know somebody that dent is gonna cost more than $600 to fix. My mom's 02 Z28 had a much smaller dent than that. It cost $350 to fix and there was no damage to the hatch opening.
    It sounds like there is damage to the opening around the hatch on this car. If so, is the hatch square in the opening? Is the car still straight?
    As said; take it to a frame shop at get it checked on a test drive.

Black
    05 mustang GT modded

Im, new here and this is my first post. Ok, so i have been saving for a 98-02 z28 for some time now and I have enough cash set aside. I found a 1999 Z28 with 100,000 miles on it ( i cant afford to get a lower mileage car ) but has severe damage to the rear left quarter panel. There is no mechanical damage and I talked the guy down to $4400. The car is mechanically sound, bone stock, t-tops, leather, 6 speed, clean inside and out except for the damage, well taken care of, no rust, new clutch and gets 30 mpg highway on long trips. Basicall I want to know if I should consider it or just pass this one up. I think I can get it fixed for under 600. Buy or not to buy?

here is a link to a photo http://s945.photobucket.com/albums/a...r447/?newest=1
    Maybe you should buy my friends SS

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO that is'nt that bad. @ least it's not damaged in the center of the car. It looks like a garbage truck or something high backed into it there. You could go to a junk yard and have that whole skin cut off. Then take it to a good body shop and have it replaced. There's not a whole lot to the unibody in the area of the damage mostly a hollow spot behind it. Now if it were damaged further foward of that spot I'd give pause. I say go for it. If you want I'll take some photo's of that area on my 01 and post them here for you. Maybe that will help give you a better idea of what you're looking @.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Artic
    2002 Z28

Thumbs down

I wouldn't

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I'd say keep looking the dent is pretty bad who knows if the trunk will ever be able to line up again correctly. My 02 with 100k and all the bells and whistles cost be 4k in july.

Thread Information