Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should I buy this 02 SS?

Hey everyone, first post here and I'm looking to get your opinion on an SS I came across and looking to purchase. Its my brothers friends car that he said to make him an offer on. I use to daily drive my 05 GTO with mild work done to it and LOVED it and have been wanting some muscle again. Below are the mods, let me know how you think it would be as a daily, as well as a fair price.

2002 SS
    56k Miles
    6-Speed
    Leather Interior

Mods:
    Fast 90 Intake w/ NW throttle body
    Vengeance Racing VRX5 Cam 236/238 .601/.605 113 LSA
    TEA Dual springs - He said these will need to be replaced soon. Do they tend to wear fast?
    7.4" Pushrods
    LPP 1 3/4" LT Headers
    TSP True duals with Sweet Thunder Mufflers
    Monster Stage III
    Fast Toys Performance Lid
    SLP Underdrive pullies
    Hurst Shifter
    Lou's Short Stick
    UMI Rotojoint Double adjustable LCA & Panhard bar
    Rotojoint relo brackets
    UMI Subframe connectors
    American Racing Wheels 17x9 & 19x11

I would really prefer a t-top car and preferably not this color, but I love the mods so I'm willing to bend a bit. What are your thoughts?

**I can't post a picture because I'm a new member. Copy the link below and it'll take you to a picture of it

i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/Garsnow2004/Camaro.jpg

and heres a picture of my old GTO if anyone's interested
    i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/Garsnow2004/DSC_0329.jpg
    Last edited by GaRsNoW; 03-23-2015 at 10:01 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

nice mods, still on stock rear end or is it aftermarket?

Yes, stock rear end

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

What is the price he's asking? That amount of miles on a 2002 is a really good find imo...its getting hard to find cars that havent been ragged out and still have lower mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    What is the price he's asking? That amount of miles on a 2002 is a really good find imo...its getting hard to find cars that havent been ragged out and still have lower mileage.
    He said he had it for sale for $12k towards the beginning of winter and it didn't sell. He said to make him an offer.

I looked online and found these private party values:
    KBB - $11,000
    Edmunds - $9,000
    NADA - $10,600

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by GaRsNoW View Post
    He said he had it for sale for $12k towards the beginning of winter and it didn't sell. He said to make him an offer.

I looked online and found these private party values:
    KBB - $11,000
    Edmunds - $9,000
    NADA - $10,600
    $10,000 cash would be a good start "you could say $9500 but that would probably make him mad lol"...he'll probably say he wants $11,000 so you know you can get it for $10,500 and for that amount of miles and mods that really isn't a bad deal. You can get a 2002 SS with 100,000+ miles for below $8,000 but you are getting something with much lower miles, with less wear, and a pretty decent amount of mods so I think that's a safe number.

Does he have it listed on craigslist or anything? If you can post a link to the car that would help...I'm assuming the car is in pretty good shape because of the mods and mileage you listed. Thats what I'm basing my numbers off of.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

$10,000 cash would be a good start "you could say $9500 but that would probably make him mad lol"...he'll probably say he wants $11,000 so you know you can get it for $10,500 and for that amount of miles and mods that really isn't a bad deal. You can get a 2002 SS with 100,000+ miles for below $8,000 but you are getting something with much lower miles, with less wear, and a pretty decent amount of mods so I think that's a safe number.

Does he have it listed on craigslist or anything? If you can post a link to the car that would help...I'm assuming the car is in pretty good shape because of the mods and mileage you listed. Thats what I'm basing my numbers off of.
    I just added a link to the first post that youll have to follow. I was thinking of going over there with $10k and starting there. What do you think about drivability as a daily driver?

Black / White

I just added a link to the first post that youll have to follow. I was thinking of going over there with $10k and starting there. What do you think about drivability as a daily driver?
    Car looks nice. If the interior is nice as the outside you should be in good shape. Hows the traffic in your area going to work and all of that...? That Monster clutch isnt the stiffest in the world but its not the softest either. If you deal with a lot of traffic your left leg will start to get bigger than your right one lol other than that, you should be able to DD it. You should still get 25mpg+ on the highway even with the mods you listed but it'll suck some gas in the city. 6th gear on the interstate is really nice to have in our cars.

Only thing I would make sure of is the springs...if he's saying they need to be replaced ask why he thinks that and if you buy the car be sure to look into it. Thats not something you want to deal with after one gives out.

Car looks nice. If the interior is nice as the outside you should be in good shape. Hows the traffic in your area going to work and all of that...? That Monster clutch isnt the stiffest in the world but its not the softest either. If you deal with a lot of traffic your left leg will start to get bigger than your right one lol other than that, you should be able to DD it. You should still get 25mpg+ on the highway even with the mods you listed but it'll suck some gas in the city. 6th gear on the interstate is really nice to have in our cars.

Only thing I would make sure of is the springs...if he's saying they need to be replaced ask why he thinks that and if you buy the car be sure to look into it. Thats not something you want to deal with after one gives out.
    Thanks for the replies. I drive 98% expressway to work so the clutch wont bother me. I've just never had a cammed car and didn't know how it would react to daily driving. I had a monster stage II in my GTO with a Tick master cylinder and I was driving all city then and it still didn't bother me too bad.

Ill definitely ask him about the springs. That was odd when he told me that with them being farily new. I think he said he has about 15k miles on the cam/springs/push rods

Black / White

Thanks for the replies. I drive 98% expressway to work so the clutch wont bother me. I've just never had a cammed car and didn't know how it would react to daily driving. I had a monster stage II in my GTO with a Tick master cylinder and I was driving all city then and it still didn't bother me too bad.

Ill definitely ask him about the springs. That was odd when he told me that with them being farily new. I think he said he has about 15k miles on the cam/springs/push rods
    15,000 miles is about right...the recommended mileage that you replace or check valve springs is around 15,000 miles so that's probably why he's saying they need to be replaced. You could have somebody check them and they may not need to be replaced for another 10-20,000 miles but 15,000 is what is recommended to at least check them at for a cammed car. Especially a car with a decent size cam.

15,000 miles is about right...the recommended mileage that you replace or check valve springs is around 15,000 miles so that's probably why he's saying they need to be replaced. You could have somebody check them and they may not need to be replaced for another 10-20,000 miles but 15,000 is what is recommended to at least check them at for a cammed car. Especially a car with a decent size cam.
    Gotcha, I didn't know that. Thanks for all your help! I report back after I'll go check it out this weekend and let you know how it went!
    Last edited by GaRsNoW; 03-23-2015 at 11:44 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Pat covered all the basics, only thing I will add is listen and look the rear over real good. It doesn't take much abuse with those mods to kill a 10 bolt rear.

Black
    2000 WS6 Trans AM

Should I buy this 02 SS?

I bent on an 00 ws6 on the color and I kinda regret it. just my .02
    98' Trans AM RIP

00' WS6/Black/Pacesetter LT's/Magnaflow Exhaust/SLP lid/Nick Williams 92mm TB/FAST 92 Intake/BMR Strut Tower Brace/BMR Rear LCA's/BMR Panhard Bar

blue
    2002 Trans Am

I saw if you really want the T-tops and different color than search for that, because your going to have to look at the color more than feel the power that comes with it, but if you get the color and T-tops you want, then you can build it with all the stuff you are wanting and be happy about it much more. This is all good for you with the mods, but if there is going to be some regret then I would probably hold off, or get this one and change to the color your wanting.

ASh

blue
    2002 Trans Am

Gotcha, I didn't know that. Thanks for all your help! I report back after I'll go check it out this weekend and let you know how it went!
    with those mods, it might not be a bad idea to have it checked out and thrown on a dyno either to make sure all is working like it should,
    I know not many people have it in their budget to get something dyno and all the checks done, but if you do it would be better to be safe than sorry. Also with mods done to the engine, would be wise to make sure all is working right and the dyno will show all that good stuff

ASh
    2002 auto T/A custom blue, Moser 9in rear end with 31 spline axle and 3.73 gears, Diablo Sport InTune, SLP LM1 catback, SLP lid & bellow, ram air free mod, eibach pro kit springs, bilstein hd shocks, bmr rear sway bar, bmr 2pt SFC bolt on, silver checker stripes 17x9.5 C5 Vette rims.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'd be on that like stink on shit......low miles and you're basically a rear from a fully built car for $10500. Might want to drive it and see if that color and drop top grow on you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I had the 04 version of your car with an 05-06 hood. Loved that yellowjacket color.

blue
    2002 Trans Am

yellow looks good on the GTO's

ASh

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    nice mods, still on stock rear end or is it aftermarket?
    They almost always are No one wants to spend the coin to upgrade what's needed most.

OP, I agree with Orion. Get the vert and enjoy. I've owned 2 of each (verts and T-tops) and I can say without a doubt hands down the vert is the more favorable with us.

You get a much more quiet and enjoyable ride since the passenger compartment is closed off from the rear of the car, so less road noise, less exhaust noise (prividing the top is up of course ) And top down fun is a simple push of a button. I've always hated dealing with the T-tops, taking them out, then taking up rear storage space with them, parking the car and having to put them back in to lock it up, I can go on and on.....just a real pain in the rump in my opinion. Because of this we haven't had the t-tops out of our current SS in probably 2-3 years.

The verts really have alot of little perks that most people don't even think about. Not to mention holding more retail value.

It'll grow on you. Like Orion said, throw a rearend in it and you have yourself a solid package to enjoy.

Thread Information