Thread: Shift Light

Sebring Silver Metallic
    1998 Camaro Z28

Shift Light

Is there any way that i can use a shift light with my stock tach...and where would be a good place to mount it

I thought MSD made a plug and play shift light with adjustable RPM limits for the LS1???

Maybe I'm thinking of something else. I've wanted to hide one behind the AC vents, just never got around to it, and haven't checked into it for a while. They might have something out new and improved by now.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I would like to do this too, I just don't like the look of aftermarket huge tachs on cars

The only mini light I see now that mentions it's compatable with coil on plug ignition systems is $150.
    A little pricey just for a shift light. But it uses a simple wire pickup much like a timing light, and converts that to RPM, so it would be super easy to hook up. Doesn't sound like wire splicing is needed.

There was another cheaper shift light for about $50, but it needs a box or controller to run it, and that costs extra. So probably no money saved there.

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

I have an AutoMeter Pro Shift Lite (uses the removable 'pills' to set rpm and a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder selector switch on the rear). I used 3M double sided gray rubber tape and stuck it on my column (I didn't want to drill holes), kinda leaning to the left so that it is in the center of the stock tach - the numbers encircle it. I ran the tach wire to the PCM and tapped into the correct wire (pin 10 I believe, a white wire). I had to set the lite to 4-cylinder operation because the tach signal on our cars is doubled. The info was on the AutoMeter website. The tape worked great - it held for years and never sagged, even sitting at an angle and in the Texas heat.

I have a phone pic - bear with me while I learn to post it lol...

Interesting. I've always used the velcro sticky stuff you can get at the hobby stores.
    Use that stuff to mount things like MSD boxes and shift lights under the dash all the time. Easy to remove later when needed. I don't like to drill holes in anything either.

Red
    '72 Chevy C10 SWB

First attempt, hope this works. From the driver's seat it sits dead center of the tach, and I could still raise the steering wheel all the way up. Yeah, I know, it's a 5,000 rpm pill. Need to get new ones...

Here's the tape I used. You can get it at hardware stores and possibly at the parts stores...

http://www.eofficedirect.com/PMMM401..._campaign=base
    Last edited by TexasLS1; 06-16-2010 at 07:56 PM.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i want that autolite pen sized shift light. im sure it requires splicing though...but the size fits in the air vent. funny seeing your air vent light up when you need to shift lol.

black
    1998 trans am

Raptor shift lights are great and can be mounted in the vent on the pillar.

Here is a link

http://kentucky-speed.com/9802-fbody...cb33f6f48056eb

Thanks
    Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    i want that autolite pen sized shift light. im sure it requires splicing though...but the size fits in the air vent. funny seeing your air vent light up when you need to shift lol.
    Ya, I've done other sneaky things like wiring the "fasten seat belt" warning light up as a shift light, but because of the location down low on the dash, and the fact that it wasn't bright enough during the day,,,I ended up changing it later.

I've always been of the sneaky type, so if I were to actually use a shift light, in the dash vent it would go, I don't like modifications out in the open visible to other's eyes

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ya, I've done other sneaky things like wiring the "fasten seat belt" warning light up as a shift light, but because of the location down low on the dash, and the fact that it wasn't bright enough during the day,,,I ended up changing it later.

I've always been of the sneaky type, so if I were to actually use a shift light, in the dash vent it would go, I don't like modifications out in the open visible to other's eyes
    you sir, are my hero....using factory lights for shift light? brilliant! ...i have much too learn from you lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TmaxicanA View Post
    you sir, are my hero....using factory lights for shift light? brilliant! ...i have much too learn from you lol.

Stick with me, I'm full of em'

I use my horn button for multiple things,,,such as at the moment I have a hidden toggle switch that flips the horn button back and forth from actually working the horn,,,,,or the line lock. It also works my 2 step and trans brake.

I use a factory rear defog switch on the dash to run my electric fuel pump, looks stock, looks like it belongs, but has nothing to do with rear defog,,,lol.

Call me strange, but I just like to keep it stock looking, and utilize what the car already has, even if I have to be sneaky about it

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Stick with me, I'm full of em'

I use my horn button for multiple things,,,such as at the moment I have a hidden toggle switch that flips the horn button back and forth from actually working the horn,,,,,or the line lock. It also works my 2 step and trans brake.

I use a factory rear defog switch on the dash to run my electric fuel pump, looks stock, looks like it belongs, but has nothing to do with rear defog,,,lol.

Call me strange, but I just like to keep it stock looking, and utilize what the car already has, even if I have to be sneaky about it
    im the same way i love being sneaky. i wanted to use the horn for my nitrous (if i ever have the nuts too go with nitrous)

Thread Information