silver
    2000 SS Camaro

Thumbs up "Service Engine Soon light" Got a P0430 code

P0430 is "catylist below threshold" (quadrant 2) I have a 2000 SS Camaro; she has almost 147,000 miles on her! Good car...this is the first time the "service engine soon" light has come on. The car is still running fine.

Now, I know this could be the catylictic converter, or the O2 sensor on that side. I helped a friend do a cat on a 1996, and it was a bitch. I'm hoping its not the cat...

Question 1: I watched a Scotty Kilmer (online super mechanic) u tube vid and he suggested putting a gallon of acetone added to a full tank, drive 150 miles at high rpm and it should clean out the catylitic converter. Any opinions on this? One friend said a full gallon is not needed, a quart or so should be enough...is this really a viable solution?

Question 2: Or could it be my O2 sensor on that side? Do they tend to give out after 150K milage? Should I get an A/C delco (140 bucks...argh) or an after market for only $40ish?

Question 3: Do cat converters tend to go bad at around 150K milage?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

At 150k I would say you are ready for a new cat.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I'm not sure on SC emissions laws, but I'd save my money and get a nice exhaust system with an ORY pipe, then get it tuned to turn off the down stream O2's, EGR and AIR systems. Just my 2 pennies.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I agree with Andy.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

What does a cat cost these days. A good exhaust system with SS headers, off road Y, sensors and a tune can run you 2k

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

You can get Pacesetters and their ORY for about 500$. I'm going to say a catted Y is going to be around the same and no HP gains!

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

is the cat discolored at all...? has the car been accelerating any slower? usually both are signs of a clogged cat...the more clogged it is, the more discolored the cat will become because the gasses cant pass through. Eventually it'll look something like this...maybe not this bad because this is an extreme case, but it'll start to change colors a little if its clogged up.

I would HIGHLY recommend replacing your O2 sensors while you are replacing the cat that is clogged...your car will run better and it'll save you some frustration later on down the road because at some point they will go out as well. If you have to run a cat because of state emissions I would recommend a hi-flow cat...if you dont have to run them or pass emissions, I would upgrade to an off road Y pipe and be done with cats forever.
    Last edited by theorangeguy; 12-26-2013 at 08:29 AM.

Don't run a gallon of acetone through the fuel system and then run 150 miles at high rpm . Talk about corrosive, your fuel system and engine will hate you, that much alcohol added to the mix would cause the engine to go dead lean, and would likely cost you more money in damage than a converter will. Amazes me the silly stuff you can find on the internet, wonderfull cyber world we have.

It's just time to put a cat on it. 150,000 miles on original cats is pretty respectable.

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

service engine light went out back to normal

I talked to a VIP friend of mine at Cummings...he said after talking to their mechanics, to run 2 - 4 bottles of regular carb cleaner and/or injector cleaner in 1/2 tank of gas for 30 to 40 minutes, just idle in the driveway. He said camaro's depend on so much cold air flow while driving to stay cool, letting it run not moving for 30 minutes or more would probably get the varnish out of the cat; it worked! My gas milage has also returned to normal...I was getting about 15mpg now I'm back to 20-23mgp back and forth to work. Tim did agree with you on the acetone though, said it would not be good for a fuel pump with almost 150K on it.

Tim also told me when their fleet vehicles cats go bad, they pull them and soak them in a strong DAWN dishwashing solution for 24 hours, high pressure rinse, then remount them and they are usually good for another 100K miles! Can you believe that? Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Don't run a gallon of acetone through the fuel system and then run 150 miles at high rpm . Talk about corrosive, your fuel system and engine will hate you, that much alcohol added to the mix would cause the engine to go dead lean, and would likely cost you more money in damage than a converter will. Amazes me the silly stuff you can find on the internet, wonderfull cyber world we have.

It's just time to put a cat on it. 150,000 miles on original cats is pretty respectable.

Thread Information