Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Running the wiring for A-Pillar gauge pod

I'm installing some a-pillar gauges on my 2001 Camaro SS. I'm curious if there's any recommendations for where or how to run the wires through the firewall? The AFR gauge has a nearly 3/4" connector, so I need more than a tiny hole. I did this on my S10 and there was an easy spot to drill a role, but the Camaro is definitely tighter.

Thanks,
    Scott

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Scott,

Had the same issue and I did not find a good solution either. I thought about cutting the wire and reconnecting it so I could keep the size of the hole small but given the wires are pretty fine I decided to leave the wire alone and ran a pilot hole through the firewall with a 1/4" bit then enlarged it slowly using a stepped bit until it was just large enough to get the wiring through. Then I filled the hole with a rubber plug from the local auto parts store that I split around the wiring to prevent chafing and fill the gap and hit it with black RTV on both sides to ensure it stayed sealed.

Steve
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Red
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Had the same issue and I did not find a good solution either. I thought about cutting the wire and reconnecting it so I could keep the size of the hole small but given the wires are pretty fine I decided to leave the wire alone and ran a pilot hole through the firewall with a 1/4" bit then enlarged it slowly using a stepped bit until it was just large enough to get the wiring through. Then I filled the hole with a rubber plug from the local auto parts store that I split around the wiring to prevent chafing and fill the gap and hit it with black RTV on both sides to ensure it stayed sealed.
    That's what I ended up doing and it worked out well. Finding a spot under the dash where I could reasonably reach with my drill was a task, but I did find a spot. Job complete and gauges functioning. Thanks!

Thread Information