Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Report says GM is discontinuing the Chevrolet Camaro ... aga

Report says GM is discontinuing the Chevrolet Camaro ... again

A new report says that Chevrolet is killing the Camaro, but not just yet.

The sports car is midway through its life cycle and won’t be replaced when it ends in 2023, according to musclecarsandtrucks.com.

Company sources tell the website that development on its successor has been suspended and that the model name will go on hiatus then, as it did from 2003 to 2009.

A GM spokesman released a statement to Motor1.com that said it wouldn’t "engage in speculation."

The Camaro came in a distant third in the muscle car sales race last year behind the Ford Mustang and Dodge Challenger, with less than 51,000 sold in the U.S., and received an emergency cosmetic redesign for 2020 after the 2019 update was poorly received.

The coupe and convertible line debuted for the 1967 model year and was continuously produced until 2002. It returned in 2010 to great success thanks in part to its role as Bumblebee in the "Transformers" movie franchise.

Ford has no plans to abandon the Mustang nameplate and is working on a hybrid version that will be introduced in the coming years. Meanwhile, the current Dodge Challenger is expected to be replaced with an all-new model after 2021.

Chevrolet is going full speed ahead in the sports car arena, however, and will be introducing the first mid-engine Corvette next year.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Disappointing if it comes to fruition, but not surprising. I love my 6th gen. GM knocked performance out of the park with the 1LE, ZL1, and ZLE. BUT, their marketing sucks. Their price points suck. The interior and features are well below what you'd expect for the prices they try to command. They stayed too close to the 5th gen in exterior body lines as well IMO.

Chrysler/Fiat whatever you want to call them, they killed it with marketing, on a car that sits on a 10+ year old platform and is good for absolutely nothing but going in a straight line. And they have options for just about any price point. And you can fit an adult person in the back seat.

Ford continues to stand behind the Mustang, even after abandoning just about every other car on the line. And they've done it pretty well. It helps that it is America's pony car and sells by name alone, their prices are better pretty much across the board (not including ADM on the GT350/500). I will still probably never own one.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Agree on all points. Chevrolet just doesn't give enough of a crap to market the car appropriately.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

So sick of them pushing the "real people" ads and J.D. Power BS like anyone really cares...

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

I’ve sat down three times with permission from the boss to shop for another car, three times I have gone to Chevy, and put my WS6 next to a new Camaro, and determined that the WS6 has more of a trunk, more of a back seat, and a better ability to be aware of my surroundings; yet the new Camaro is 200-300 pounds heavier, a longer wheelbase, more unsprung weight, and they made me run away screaming in terror with the 2019s grille.

I don't need the trunk to be massive but if Chevy is going to obstruct my rear view with that joke of a back glass, at least give me enough room to put enough luggage for my wife, daughter and myself to take the car on a small vacation! Put those extra nine inches of wheelbase to allow a 5 foot 5 adult fit into the back!

If I wanted a car with no backseat room, and almost no trunk, I’d get a Corvette, except that at least the ‘Vette has trunk space. The Camaro is for the guy/gal who wants a higher performance road car, but wants to have enough utility to carry some people and some stuff occasionally, the current Camaro cant do that.

This is why Chevy is getting its clock cleaned. Just like Ford, they’ve focused too much on SUVs. And just like every time I get ready to enter the market, GM finds a new way to make it so I dont buy one of their cars.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    So sick of them pushing the "real people" ads and J.D. Power BS like anyone really cares...

Worst thing that I have seen so far was Motor Trend rationalizing the death of the Impala and making way for the Blazer by comparing last years Impala to the incoming Blazer; when did the Last gens of the Impalas suspension and engine come out? Not to mention that the cheapest Blazer was 10k more than the Impala.

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

Apples to oranges comparisons, Motor Trend is getting good at those.

I would have liked to see a K5 successor, but I knew better than to think they'd actually go through with something like that...

Thread Information