Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuild!

Red
    2001 Z28

Rebuild!

Okay so here is the quick run-down. My 01 Z has 93,000 miles, and i just spun a rod bearing, so next month im starting the rebuild. The crappy part is that I do not have the tools, time, etc. to do the work, so this is all being done by the shop. Labor fees DAMN!!! For the longest time ive been putting off building up my car, but I figure since the motor is going to be pulled, now is the best time to start building.

The only mods i have now are listed in my signature, and keep in mind my Z is an A4 and 2.73 rear end. My goal is 450-550hp to the crank, i can settle for 450, but of course I crave a bit more than that. I deff want to cam it out somewhere around .600 lift on both intake and exhaust, l/t, ORY (not sure about what mufflers to go with either), and a 150 wet-shot.

I believe 01-02 'maros have the ls6 intake, so i dont think its necessary to replace that, and what about heads. Port and polish heads, or got with whole new ones..not sure about that either.

The budget is $6,000 give or take a couple hundred, and I refuse to sacrifice quality, performance, and reliability for price. Also i want to retain as much daily driving ability as i can, but its not that big of a deal.

Any advice on the best/most reliable set ups, kits, or w/e would be greatly appreciated
    '01 Z28 A4 : SLP lid, smooth bellow, K&N, UMI strut brace... Under Construction, Much more to come
    Best ET: 13.02

white
    02 SS

I have a cam only car and put down 405 rwhp and 390rwtq. Now that is right around 475 crank hp. From what I can tell you have a pretty good budget if you plan on using the stock block. Best of luck to ya!!!!!
    02 SS, Cammed and other shit!!!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

trick flow 515 package
    talk to badass and see if its what your looking for

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

If you dont wanna sacrafice reliability the ndo a 355-383 stroker with forged internals. running 430whp and 150 shot on stock bottom end can be done but it def isnt what people would call reliable.

white
    02 SS

I would also recommend you to go over to Sunshine Performance in Killeen. They are located beside the Killeen highschool. If you go ask for Mike. This shop specializes in late model GM.

Red
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by supersexy View Post
    I would also recommend you to go over to Sunshine Performance in Killeen. They are located beside the Killeen highschool. If you go ask for Mike. This shop specializes in late model GM.
    Yeah ive been up there, i actually got a set of oem pushrods brand-spankin-new from them for 20$, mike is pretty chill. the only problem i have is 1) they want 3 grand just for fixin my spun rod bearing alone and 2) dude i work with got his black 01 Z back from them a month or so ago. they did a bad ass job, the only problem is they lock his computer, and nobody can access it to tune it, not even them.. I would love for them to do the work, but its damn expensive and i dont want to run the risk of locking my comp. Conflict of interests really. Guess it wouldnt hurt to drop by and see what they have to say

Red
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    trick flow 515 package
    Talk to badass and see if its what your looking for
    perfect!!

white
    02 SS

Sunshine did most of the work on my car including the T-56 swap, and I have nothing but good words for there shop. That's weird that somehow they locked the computer. I have had mine tuned there 3 or 4 times with no problems. Like I said before best of luck to you with whatever route you decide.

Arctic White, red/gray

Sunshine did most of the work on my car including the T-56 swap, and I have nothing but good words for there shop. That's weird that somehow they locked the computer. I have had mine tuned there 3 or 4 times with no problems. Like I said before best of luck to you with whatever route you decide.
    They wont lock the computer, that is illegal and damn near impossible. What they do is lock the tune, like 90% of tuners do. They dont want people to just copy there tunes and sell them because then they will be out of a job.

Red
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    They wont lock the computer, that is illegal and damn near impossible. What they do is lock the tune, like 90% of tuners do. They dont want people to just copy there tunes and sell them because then they will be out of a job.
    As impossible as we all thought it is/was, the whole comp is locked. we cant even hook up the obd2 check engine light reader. its friggen weird.

Sunshine did most of the work on my car including the T-56 swap, and I have nothing but good words for there shop. That's weird that somehow they locked the computer. I have had mine tuned there 3 or 4 times with no problems. Like I said before best of luck to you with whatever route you decide
    How much did that t56 swap run you???

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by yanoZ28 View Post
    As impossible as we all thought it is/was, the whole comp is locked. we cant even hook up the obd2 check engine light reader. its friggen weird.

How much did that t56 swap run you???
    So they didnt mean to lock it, it was an accident since not even they can get into it?

Red
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    So they didnt mean to lock it, it was an accident since not even they can get into it?
    Im pretty sure it was an accident

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

so how you going to fix that

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

I have a cam only car and put down 405 rwhp and 390rwtq. Now that is right around 475 crank hp. From what I can tell you have a pretty good budget if you plan on using the stock block. Best of luck to ya!!!!!
    What cam makes that kind of power with LS1 heads, if you don't mind my asking? I presume you have long tubes.

Thanks.

Artic White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Yeah I had Mike tune my car too! No problems!!! Running great. Im going to have them install my High Stall torque convertor when ever I get one. Matter of fact I may be down in Killeen later tonight or this weekend to pick up a Nitrous Kit from a guy. If you see a White Z with a GrandSport Fender slash give me a run!!!! LOL

Red
    2001 Z28

Im sure you'd get me by a few lengths lol, but unfortunately my baby is parked right now. Im waiting for the new lid and MAF sensor to come in, and i have that spun rod bearing. If you see a red sentra seR spec V roll up on you, thats me driving my buddies car. damn thing is missing a few cylinders lol

white
    02 SS

T-56 swap cost me around 3 grand cause I had to buy the transmission. It might sound like alot but if you can find a transmission it would help you out. The transmission works flawlessly. Now the last thing I have to do is swap out the gears and I should be set until the rearend grenades!

white
    02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by u118224 View Post
    What cam makes that kind of power with LS1 heads, if you don't mind my asking? I presume you have long tubes.

Thanks.
    I have a Comp Cam 224/230 575/588 114 LSA. Yes I have longtubes, ory, and flowmaster 80 series. Now If I put a cutout on it should put down around 420-430 rwhp. I am really impressed with the numbers and I still have the stock LS6 intake on.

Red
    2001 Z28

T-56 swap cost me around 3 grand cause I had to buy the transmission. It might sound like alot but if you can find a transmission it would help you out. The transmission works flawlessly. Now the last thing I have to do is swap out the gears and I should be set until the rearend grenades!
    Actually thats not bad at all, ill have to look into that

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Look at the 4L85E its got overdrive and is a tank

Thread Information