Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Ranger rear in a F Body???

I cant find it but I was reading somewhere on here that a few people were putting Ford Ranger rears on their F bodys. Can anyone tell me what year Ford Ranger rear they are using ( I read its a 8.8) and also list what modifications need to be done to the rear to make it work? I read it costs about $500.00 which sounds great.Thank you

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I heard that to in another thread. I am sure it would be easy to find a Ranger rear for cheap.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Not sure about the width, but a '96 and up Explorer or Mountaineer rear is a good 8.8 too. Advantage over the Ranger rear is that they have disk brakes, and most have 3.73 gears.

I know this from my Jeep boards, the 8.8 is about the same width and the same bolt pattern as a Jeep rear. When the D35 in my Grand goes, that's what she's getting.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

And those rears would work in a f body also? Would you have to change out axles to get the right bolt pattern for the wheels I have now (4.75)? Not quite sure how all that works. I am really interested because the rear in my 98 z28 is whining and I want to do a gear change to a 3.73 anyways so why waste money on the current 10 bolt.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS

registering so see if anyone gets an answer
    -Ivan

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

IIRC the Jeep pattern is 5 on 4.5", so no, I'm pretty sure the bolt pattern is different. But I'm pretty sure the Ranger and Explorer have the same bolt pattern, so it'd be an issue with either rear. But it seems like most guys run staggered wheels anyway, so why not buy 2 diff bolt patterns, unless you already have wheels, I guess.

Explorer is leaf suspension like the Ranger, so they'd both require the same brackets to be welded on in order to work in a FBod. I don't remember the width off the top of my head thouhg, so I don't know if it'll fit width wise.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Just checked, the 8.8 is "59.5 inches wide between wheel mounting surafaces".

I imagine that means flange to flange.

While it doesnt really pertain to a swap in a F-Bod, here's a good article with alot of good info on the axle. http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/ford88.html

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thats a interesting article.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Too lazy to look, so is the ford ranger rear easy to put on an f-body

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

that article was for a jeep install.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

lol, but still anyone know about the ranger in the camaro?

wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

yeah i'm curious as well

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

I am a jeeper as well, and just for my .02, I think the 8.8 is way overrated. You need to weld the tubes so they dont spin on you, and the locker or posi selection is a little limited. If you are swapping for the ability to take power, pick up a better axle, you are gonna have to cut and weld brackets regardless. I found a ford 9" that was the same width as my cherokee and i am modifying it to be able to take the 400lb-ft of torque I am making with the wheel in a bind.

I learned with jeeping that NOTHING is a direct swap, so you might as well do it right. You could always call moser...

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

The reason I was interested is the price. I even heard that alot had 3.73 gears already in them.

SOM
    1998 Z28-408 l92 stroker

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    lol, but still anyone know about the ranger in the camaro?
    like posted above its a leaf spring setup so its gonna require some fabrication, if your gonna do anything like that might as well get a dana 60 or the 9in.

big deal that some have 3.73, some newer rangers have 4.11's, i'd be more concerned about the strength of the rear end if i'm doing fabricating and ect.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk94Z28 View Post
    like posted above its a leaf spring setup so its gonna require some fabrication, if your gonna do anything like that might as well get a dana 60 or the 9in.

big deal that some have 3.73, some newer rangers have 4.11's, i'd be more concerned about the strength of the rear end if i'm doing fabricating and ect.
    From what I heard these rears are supposed to be really strong. The gear ratio is just a added bonus. Why might as well get a 9 inch? if the ranger 8.8 is strong enough to hold 500hp for the fraction of the cost of a 9 inch then it seems like a logical solution to me.

red
    02 trans am ws6

What would you do for the t-bar? To me trying to fab something up for that would be harder then making sure all the brackets were welded straight and in the correct spot. Good luck

Slow SS

Black
    2002 Chevy Camaro

9 in are not that expensive, buying a prebuilt 9 in is expensive. go to a local pull a part, got my 9in for the cherokee for 50 bucks. bearings and such will run u a little bit but not that much, and geas for the 9in are about 100 dollars a set.

I guess I could list some more positives:

-Stronger, bigger tubes
    -thicker axle shafts, and more aftermarket spport
    -available in 28, 31, and 35 spline
    -easy to rebuild on the spot.
    -if you wanted you could have two different rearends set up for the track since preload and backlash are already set up on the third member
    -no c clips to hold the shafts in

I am not knocking the 8.8 it is a good axle in its application, but with the amount of fabbing you have to do to get it under an f-body, I just think that you might as well go all out with something that you will not have to worr about overloading later if you launch with more horsepower down the road

Dave

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I appreciate the info- I was just trying to not spend a chunk on a new 9" already set up- I see what you are saying now.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

I brang that up in another post, I know a guy around here who has it in his 96 impala SS, making 580rwhp and he says it handles it great, and only cost him 500 for all the parts he needed, i have been meaning to talk to him to get all the information on this but i havent seen him at the races lately. He said he got the rear from a junk yard for 150bucks bought some axels and fab soem other shit hes very good at mods he tunes everyones lt1s around here. His cousin tunes everyones ls1s.

Thread Information