black
    1999 ss

Question, temp gauge, running temps.

My 99 SS temp always stays just below the 210 mark on the factory gauge, once the motor is good and warm. I bought the car a couple of years ago, I believe it is bone stock. It has 79k on it now I've only put a couple of thousand on it. I completely flushed the cooling system using a cleaning product and refilled with none dex type coolant. The temp still stays just below the 210 mark. Should I be concerned, Should I go to a 180 or 160 degree thermostat ? The car seems to run great. Any advice? thanks..

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

So, what's the problem?
    Your car prob. has a 195 degree thermostat, which is just below 210 on the gauge. You don't have anything to worry about.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

As I stated in another thread about this, 99 and up have an idiot gauge. It only registers cold, running (210) and "OH SHIT!"

Seems some of the buying public didn't like to have an actual working, thermally cycling water temp gauge and complained about it being all over the place. So GM obliged their (totally unwarranted) fears by using a gauge that pretty much comes up to 210 and just sits there regardless of the car sitting in traffic, the gauge climbing and then going down when the fans came on.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Well it's good you did the coolant flush... What kind of coolant did you use? GM engines require Dex Cool.

black
    1999 ss

The coolant in the car now is not DEX. I switched for the following reasons. My kid works at a full service garage that is owned and operated by three master mechanics. They do everything from oil changes to total rebuilds . They do not specialize in high performance. Most of their work is done on daily drivers and fleet vehicles. a few years ago They quit using Dex coolant because they were constantly seeing large amounts of build-up of crud and jellied stuff in the ports and cooling passages in all types of motors using DEX. They also noticed an unusual amount of coolant related problems. They are constantly replacing head gaskets on fairly new vehicles, especially GM products. They now use a non DEX type coolant that they buy in bulk. The coolant low light in my car was on constantly even though the reservoir was full. We cleaned all the "gunk" off of the sensor and now it reads properly.I am looking for advice and input about this from anyone . i have put less than a thousand miles on the car since the flush and refill with the non dex coolant. There are no high performance shops or places that specialize in f-bodies in my area, so i am very interesed in what all you Ls1 guys have to say about this, thanks for any help and replies....hozeman

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by hozeman View Post
    The coolant in the car now is not DEX. I switched for the following reasons. My kid works at a full service garage that is owned and operated by three master mechanics. They do everything from oil changes to total rebuilds . They do not specialize in high performance. Most of their work is done on daily drivers and fleet vehicles. a few years ago They quit using Dex coolant because they were constantly seeing large amounts of build-up of crud and jellied stuff in the ports and cooling passages in all types of motors using DEX. They also noticed an unusual amount of coolant related problems. They are constantly replacing head gaskets on fairly new vehicles, especially GM products. They now use a non DEX type coolant that they buy in bulk. The coolant low light in my car was on constantly even though the reservoir was full. We cleaned all the "gunk" off of the sensor and now it reads properly.I am looking for advice and input about this from anyone . i have put less than a thousand miles on the car since the flush and refill with the non dex coolant. There are no high performance shops or places that specialize in f-bodies in my area, so i am very interesed in what all you Ls1 guys have to say about this, thanks for any help and replies....hozeman
    I hear this all the time being a service writer at a GM dealer.
    The Dexcool coolant crystalizes after a certain period of time. GM recommends in extreme driving conditions (ie Michigan) that the coolant be flushed every 4-5 years and 50k miles. There was a lawsuit settlement on the 3.4 engines for intake gaskets. What people assume is that it was the coolant that went bad. Simply, it was just bad plastic gaskets. There is no problem with Dexcool at all as long as you stay up on your maintenance and get it flushed. As with the coolant temp staying at 210, that is normal. Just like 67 said, 99 and up LS1 engines have a "dummy" sensor. It is either cold, 210, or shut the car off NOW! No need to be concerned about anything. Your car is running the way it should.

black
    1999 ss

good info konigandy6, I guess I'll get the system flushed on my wifes 03 impala as well. i try to keep up the maint. on things but some stuff gets over looked.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by hozeman View Post
    good info konigandy6, I guess I'll get the system flushed on my wifes 03 impala as well. i try to keep up the maint. on things but some stuff gets over looked.
    You would be suprised how much gets overlooked on all vehicles. Transmission flushes, power steering flushes, brake flushes.... the list of maintenance items goes on for days!

If you want to know your real temp put a sending unit in the head. My aftermarket head temp unit runs 180 on a steamy hot day at a stop light. My dash guage says over 200.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    You would be suprised how much gets overlooked on all vehicles. Transmission flushes, power steering flushes, brake flushes.... the list of maintenance items goes on for days!
    Yeah,stuff gets overlooked, and neglected. People need to read their owner's manuals and do what the factory recomends. All that stuff needs to be replaced at certain intervals. There are so many people that don't read their owner's manuals. They're the ones who complain about stuff like Dex-cool, when they didn't replace it when it should have been.

der König des CyaLataBye the shag's Avatar

Onyx Black
    02 Camaro Z28

I was told today from a guy that has worked on vettes and ls engines his whole life that it is supposed to run at 210. Just my .02

Maroon
    2000 Silverado

guage says 210, but get an aftermarket reader/gauge its gonna be lower, on hot days im ar 200 degrees, but the dummy gauge says 210, dont worry about it, your running fine.

Thread Information