Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    02 Z28

question if tuning is needed or not..

im getting full exhaust put on either tomorrow or the day after.. (headers to tips) i know im going to need a tune to get the "most" power i could get from it, but is it necessary to get a tune?

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

are getting cats or ory?

02 Z28

longtubes, ory, i pipe w/ cut out, spintech muffler

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Tune is NOT necessary...but without cats you will trigger a SES light. Need it tuned out if you don't want to look at it constantly.

White
    2000 Z28

If you don't want a check engine light for no cats, then you'll need a tune. It's well worth it in the end. I got a tune for my full exhaust and it's nice to make the car a little more aggressive. I would suggest talking to Frost if you have any questions. He's a member on here if you don't know him.

02 Z28

ok. thanks guys.... ill be putting the y pipe- tips on saturday.. headers on sunday....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Tune is not a requirment, as long as you don't care about the SES light.

I put some Hooker LTs on, with their ORY, and waited 3.5 years before my tune from Frost. These cars have a MAF system, so the car knows about increased airflow and adjusts accordingly. 9 months after my LT/ORY install, my car went from 26.5 MPG highway to 27.5/28, and my trap speed at the drag strip went from a former best of 107.5 to 109.85. I ran 7 times that night in late October, and all runs were 109.x, with a best of 12.89 @ 109.85, 60 ft that run was a 1.99.

After the Frost tune in the Spring of '10, I ran it in July of '10, on a warm summer evening I was still trapping 107.5. With some better air I'm now hoping for 110 trap speeds, to agree with my new license plate which reads "12S 110".

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how long are you planning on waiting on a tune would be my question? If you're planning on waiting a while there's a possiblity you'll foul out your O2's at $50 a piece so there's $100 of the $150 Frost charges for a mail order. There's a slight chance you'll need O2's anyhow depending on your mileage and whether your O2's like the headers or not. Heater codes are pretty common after header swaps so you may want to get bosch 13111 sensors. Did you buy extensions? If you did the 13111's will negate the need for those.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Oh.... hey Orion... so nice to see you again, seems like it's been playofforever

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Oh.... hey Orion... so nice to see you again, seems like it's been playofforever
    don't hijack the thread....

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153207

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post

My buddy recently did full exhaust on his car, and he lost quite a bit of low end, with no mail order tune. That's about all I can tell you from first hand sight seen. Not 100% sure of the specifics, but I'd go with what the other members have stated.... even Orion

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

how long are you planning on waiting on a tune would be my question? If you're planning on waiting a while there's a possiblity you'll foul out your O2's at $50 a piece so there's $100 of the $150 Frost charges for a mail order. There's a slight chance you'll need O2's anyhow depending on your mileage and whether your O2's like the headers or not. Heater codes are pretty common after header swaps so you may want to get bosch 13111 sensors. Did you buy extensions? If you did the 13111's will negate the need for those.
    Wow, I just read that....

Pretty informative. Really! Learned something I didn't know

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I agree with a "possibility". The only thing that can foul them is any coating inside the header, until it burns off.

I still have OE O2s, 97K on them and they switch from over .9mV down to less than .1mV. Usually when O2s start reporting falsely they won't make such big swings.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I agree with a "possibility". The only thing that can foul them is any coating inside the header, until it burns off.

I still have OE O2s, 97K on them and they switch from over .9mV down to less than .1mV. Usually when O2s start reporting falsely they won't make such big swings.
    or from running rich due to the header install....O2's will also just drift over time. 75k is a good number to look at swapping them out although some will tell you to swap them at half that mileage.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

Many times LTs will cause the O2s to be especially lazy just off idle and at idle. When they switch slowly the mixture wanders back and forth. You mention 900mV; that's about what they read after tuning at WOT too, so you can see that's a hefty rich swing when the car is commanding 14.67:1 and getting high 12's:1 AFR. For some setups, simply sitting around idling too long can cause some fouling. Stainless headers often seem to be a bit worse in this respect. Some cars run headers for years with no problems on OEM programming. Some end up hurting plugs and O2s running this way. Can you know up front which one you will be?

The MAF doesn't do any kind of correction for parts, the trimming action of closed loop takes care of things outside of first startup and WOT, but it's this trimming that can 'wander' at idle.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Not to hi-jack, but I tried PM'ing you Steve and your PM box is full. Just wanted to confirm on your trip to Fort Wayne dates for your second trip.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It was full for like 2 hours one day last week or early this week...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I tried 2 days ago I think. Either way, I'll send another. Thanks!

02 Z28

lol.. its all good guys... i have an access to a dyno sometime next week.. not sure when.... but definitely next week.. about to start working on putting the y pipe to tips on tomorrow morning... headers will be installed after.. they are hooker headers 1 3/4 with air provisions..

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Many times LTs will cause the O2s to be especially lazy just off idle and at idle. When they switch slowly the mixture wanders back and forth. You mention 900mV; that's about what they read after tuning at WOT too, so you can see that's a hefty rich swing when the car is commanding 14.67:1 and getting high 12's:1 AFR. For some setups, simply sitting around idling too long can cause some fouling. Stainless headers often seem to be a bit worse in this respect. Some cars run headers for years with no problems on OEM programming. Some end up hurting plugs and O2s running this way. Can you know up front which one you will be?

The MAF doesn't do any kind of correction for parts, the trimming action of closed loop takes care of things outside of first startup and WOT, but it's this trimming that can 'wander' at idle.
    You might want to qualify that a bit. Of course it doesn't know about a part, and then makes a change. All the MAF knows is the airflow into the engine is higher, from better flowing exhaust, for example. Some people (not you!) forget that these engines are airpumps.

Thread Information