Pewter
    2001 Z28

Question for 98 owners???

Hey guys, I was looking at a 98 Z for my younger bro and everytime I look at a car I put the key in the on position without starting it and see if the check engine light even has a bulb. Some may call this weird but surprise this 98 had no SERVICE ENGINE SOON light at all. SO I am curious to see is the SES light in the same place as my 01 Z, which would be in the top right hand corner above the speedo? Please help me! And the reason I check for this is because people will obviously take the bulb out if its throwing a code so they can then just sell it.

White
    2001 RS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by MNZ28 View Post
    Hey guys, I was looking at a 98 Z for my younger bro and everytime I look at a car I put the key in the on position without starting it and see if the check engine light even has a bulb. Some may call this weird but surprise this 98 had no SERVICE ENGINE SOON light at all. SO I am curious to see is the SES light in the same place as my 01 Z, which would be in the top right hand corner above the speedo? Please help me! And the reason I check for this is because people will obviously take the bulb out if its throwing a code so they can then just sell it.
    Not to sure about the bulb but I would take it to advance auto parts and hook it up to the computer just to make sure. I have experienced the same thing where people will pull the fuse for the SES and most of the dash lights so you won't notice the code. Go over that car with a fine tooth comb.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

my '98 Z28 - with the ignition key in the position you've described

Pewter
    2001 Z28

Thanks guys I assumed it was in the same position as my 01. I have a snap on scan tool at my disposal so that will tell me alot more than auto zone. Anyways the guy out of no where pointed out that hey if any of these panels have been replaced you cant just get the GM stickers for the belt route and all that shit, and I countered saying you can just buy new ones. I had a strong feeling that the car was repainted, but if your selling a car and it was repainted to me the only reason you wouldnt tell someone is due to the fact that it was in an accident and repainted due to that.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Thanks guys I assumed it was in the same position as my 01. I have a snap on scan tool at my disposal so that will tell me alot more than auto zone. Anyways the guy out of no where pointed out that hey if any of these panels have been replaced you cant just get the GM stickers for the belt route and all that shit, and I countered saying you can just buy new ones. I had a strong feeling that the car was repainted, but if your selling a car and it was repainted to me the only reason you wouldnt tell someone is due to the fact that it was in an accident and repainted due to that.
    Good call on that. I would be nervous if the SES light wasn't coming on at all. Almost like the guy pulled the cluster out and popped the bulb out instead of getting something fixed. Sounds like someone is trying to play you. Be very careful! Also something to consider, if the cluster was pulled out, perhaps a scrap cluster was put in with incorrect mileage. I've seen it happen many times before.

Pewter
    2001 Z28

I think either the pcm or bcm stores the actual mileage so you cant just put in another cluster and change the mileage. could be wrong though.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I think either the pcm or bcm stores the actual mileage so you cant just put in another cluster and change the mileage. could be wrong though.
    you are correct.

NBM
    01 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    you are correct.
    +2. No way a cluster stores the mileage, thats all in the ECM. Im certain that the MPH and RPM reading you get on your cluster is through the ECM as well.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ChvyCruzen View Post
    +2. No way a cluster stores the mileage, thats all in the ECM. Im certain that the MPH and RPM reading you get on your cluster is through the ECM as well.
    Incorrect... sort of. All though the PCM does have mileage and engine hours stored, the cluster itself does too. I'm not 100% sure if it's true in the Fbodies, but I know for a fact all the digital mileage readout clusters in the GM trucks have the mileage stored in them. Whenever we swap guages, they have to be reprogrammed to get the correct mileage on them.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Incorrect... sort of. All though the PCM does have mileage and engine hours stored, the cluster itself does too. I'm not 100% sure if it's true in the Fbodies, but I know for a fact all the digital mileage readout clusters in the GM trucks have the mileage stored in them. Whenever we swap guages, they have to be reprogrammed to get the correct mileage on them.
    whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? no shit i was always under the impression that the mileage was stored on the pcm to prevent people from "rolling" back the odometer

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    whhaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? no shit i was always under the impression that the mileage was stored on the pcm to prevent people from "rolling" back the odometer
    Well it is stored there as well... But you will never know if the 2 match unless you hook up a Tech II. But like I said, I'm not sure if the same holds true for the Fbodies, all I know is that ALL the trucks are like that. And I assumed they were the same since it was a digital read out.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Well it is stored there as well... But you will never know if the 2 match unless you hook up a Tech II. But like I said, I'm not sure if the same holds true for the Fbodies, all I know is that ALL the trucks are like that. And I assumed they were the same since it was a digital read out.
    i would think they are the same. good to know

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

The clusters do store the mileage just like the trucks. Before I had my tune I pulled my guages apart and had to put electrical tape behind the engine light spot because it did not have a bulb that I could just pull out. A lot of people have done that. Mine was just becuase of no egr or air injection. I got tired of seeing the light lit up. One way to tell if it was in a bad collision is to look at the inner fender under the hood for seam sealer at the seems. Mine did not have any but after I got in a wreck the body shop put seam sealer on all the seams that they fixed and the paint should have a flat finish since gm did not put clear coat under the hood.

Thread Information