Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

Problems after mods

so i just installed lowering springs bilstein shocks lca relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. driving around this week im noticing a loud banging every time a hit a bump even a small bump. Im guessing this is just the car bottoming out? is this normal? and what damage is it causing when it happens? second of all even though i installed weld in sfc's my passenger side door has shifted and the bottom edge closest to the front tire is rubbing the body when i open it and i have no clue what to do about it....

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by davidz28 View Post
    so i just installed lowering springs bilstein shocks lca relocation brackets and an adjustable panhard bar. driving around this week im noticing a loud banging every time a hit a bump even a small bump. Im guessing this is just the car bottoming out? is this normal? and what damage is it causing when it happens? second of all even though i installed weld in sfc's my passenger side door has shifted and the bottom edge closest to the front tire is rubbing the body when i open it and i have no clue what to do about it....
    Not sure about the banging but the door...where is it rubbing the body? I assume based on your statement that it's the bottom of the door rubbing on the door sill area. If that is true, the latch in most cars in the door is adjustable to help with this. It's 3 torque's bits, loosen them and see if it will move down in the door. If it does move down it will make the door lift up as it closes. It that doesn't help (If its even possible) you may need door hinge pins to help tighten the door up. Those are the only things I can think of that may help if it's not just the body twisted a bit like Fbodys so often do.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Your suspension bolts need to be around 75 ft. lb. Are they torqued properly?

Silver
    2000 z28

id prolly check the hinge pins first these doors are heavy and wear the pins
    the banging id just get under itand look around youll see marks where its hitting itll be cleaner or maybe even have a rub mark or something

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Your suspension bolts need to be around 75 ft. lb. Are they torqued properly?
    I agree. The banging you hear could be loose lower control arms. Check to make sure they are torqued properly.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

ill check the bolts again i torqued them right during install but they could have backed out. and could i already be experiencing twisting with weld in sfc's and only 20,000 miles on my car?

Silver
    2000 z28

really doubt its twisting...mine has 223k nd no subframes on it YET... but its not twisting my t-tops dont even leak sub frames sitn at mt moms house waiting on me to install em

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

ill check the bolts again i torqued them right during install but they could have backed out. and could i already be experiencing twisting with weld in sfc's and only 20,000 miles on my car?
    Your original post didn't have your car info. I guess I should have asked. Sorry.
    Like 00ls-1 said you may want to check your hinge pins first. Grab the door at the end away from the hinges with it open and lift up and see if it has any play in it. May need to lift up and down to feel the movement but that's how I've always checked my hinge pins. Maybe someone else knows a better way.

Silver
    2000 z28

thats the best way i know unless you can actually see the pin and see if there are groove in it

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

okay so the door problem is solved and i now feel stupid. when installing the front shocks i had bumped the panel pretty hard and it had shifted back just enough to catch the door when opening. hopefully tomorrow i can get it back on the rack and retorque everything and solve the banging sound

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

okay so the door problem is solved and i now feel stupid. when installing the front shocks i had bumped the panel pretty hard and it had shifted back just enough to catch the door when opening. hopefully tomorrow i can get it back on the rack and retorque everything and solve the banging sound
    Glad to hear you figured the door out. Let us know what you find when you get under there.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Since you lowered it, make sure your torque arm is not hitting the sheet metal on the underside of your car. That can easily be fixed with a hammer!

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

its the exhaust hitting the axel!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

its the exhaust hitting the axel!
    Hitting the axle or the panhard bar?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Hitting the axle or the panhard bar?
    My guess is the upper PHB support.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    My guess is the upper PHB support.

+1 It's pretty tight through there. I had to slide our mid-pipe back about 1/4" off the Y to gain clearance.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

no its hitting the axle when i had my exhaust done the bend that goes aver the axle had shifted towards the rear too far and it was hitting because the axle was not centered in the bend of the pipe.

Thread Information