Black
    2000 SS Camaro

Power Steering/cooling issues...

Ok so i have a 2000 SS M6. 42,000 easy miles anyways power steering pump had been getting noisy over the last 3 months and I looked at the fluid and it looks like coffee with creamer in it or something. Flushed out the power steering system as best as I could and added half a small bottle of lucas power steering stuff in it and it was way better but anything past 3k on the RPM and you could hear some noise. Went on a 500 mile trip and noticed that the PS fluid level had dropped but not much and also that the fluid was orange/red tinted. Checked the engine coolent on the overflow dipstick thing and it didnt look all nice and clean and red like it should it looked like there was a tan film on the palstic and it was brownish but not as bad as some pics I have seen on this site when such problems appear. Anyways I am thinking its the power steering cooler (crappy design IMHO they should have put a mini radiator type in front of the radiator) has a leak in it. What do these things cost are they easy to replace and how crazy should I go with flushing the coolent and the power steering fluids when I get done. Also I dont race this thing should I just bypass it and if so with what and how easy would that be. I dont think I have done much harm to anything but I have stopped driving it untill I can fix it. Also I wonder if I could do something with barrs stop leak to fix this issue? I have seen that stuff work wonders but not on a newer style car. Also that cooler looks like its in 2 halves I wonder if I could rebuild it. Any help would be appreciated.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

The cooler isn't hard at all to replace. I am not sure on the pricing of a replacement though. Its a pretty common problem in my experience for the p/s pumps to go bad on the LS1's. I would definately approach it in the same manner you are, eliminate all the cheap possibilities first(cooler, flush and replace fluids) but if those don't fix it, good chance your pump is on the decline.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Power steering cooler

Hi im having the same problem as you. Were you able to find another power steering cooler? if so where and how much? also did that take care of your problem with the leak, radiator etc?

Thanks

Thread Information