BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Optima red top battery

Are they awesome ? Where is the cheapest place to get one? I have a 98 Z. I don't drive the car much and need something that won't poop out every few months after sitting.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

always had them and never had a problem with them and I get them used for cheap from mobile battery distributors I've never let my car sit longer than a month so I'm not sure about how long they last.. a battery tender might be your answer.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I always go against the grain on this subject.....IMO they're overkill. If they cost a few dollars more then sure....go for it....but they're double what a quality battery will cost you. I personally just run a regular auto parts store battery and maintain it properly during the winter.......had this one 6 years so far.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I used to get reg Wally world batteries but they went up in price (damn near 100) when I used to get them for around $60. I plan on putting a decent stereo in my z sooner than later so I figured it couldn't hurt. I see them for around $150. I dunno....

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I guess I am really not maintaining the battery except starting the car now and then. I have the charger on it now. I guess leaving the alarm on when the car is in the garage isn't helping hahahaha

I'm not a fan of optima. I'd suggest buying what fits your budget and stick a battery tender on it.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Thanks for the comments guys. I just charged my battery up and I will see how it goes.

One more question gents- I took my +and - battery cables on my car off before charging my battery. Would it hurt to leave them on while charging? ( I know I am a lazy fk but I do have a legit reason to ask this as well) thanks

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I am also not a fan. They were great when they were made in the USA, now that they are made outside of the country they are junk. If you don't keep a battery tender on them it will go dead. My dad has them in a couple of his cars and he has nothing but trouble with them.
    Callies 383, Trick Flow 225, Rapid Motorsports Dominatior 2 X cam, ls6 ported oil pump,42lb injectors, FAST 92/92 , ASP underdrive pully, eletric water pump, Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter ORY, Magnaflow catback, e-cutout, Yank SS 3600, Performabuilt stage 2 4l60e, Strange S60 ,4.10s, Detroit Truetrac, (UMI) - Adj. LCA, Adj. tunnel mount torque arm, Adj. panhard bar, Drag bar, subframe conectors, shock tower brace. 465rwhp-438rwtq 11.09@119.90.

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Won't hurt leaving the cables on while charging.

Quote Originally Posted by cpop98ws6 View Post
    I am also not a fan. They were great when they were made in the USA, now that they are made outside of the country they are junk. If you don't keep a battery tender on them it will go dead. My dad has them in a couple of his cars and he has nothing but trouble with them.
    I've heard more complaints about the charging issue lately than anything else. Once they lose a charge they are nearly impossible to keep a charge in after the fact. I've never had one lose a charge myself, but I've only had the one optima, and I just don't like it for many other reasons.
    The red color is a big turn off for one, I also don't care for the shape of the case, the factory hold down clamps don't work properly, I don't like how closely the terminals are spaced, and their original one size fits all doesn't appeal to me either. I understand they now have a few different sizes, but I've been turned off with them for a long time now.
    I just prefer the stock look of a factory equipped battery (acdelco for GM, autolite for Ford etc....)

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

the performance is not all that much better than the top of the line batteries from local parts stores, the warranties have no pro-rate period, and the price is way too high.

optimas...not worth it.

Black
    2000 WS6

You match the battery to the application, maintain it correctly, it will last for years and years.
    If you have access to the plates, use only distilled water.
    When it sits more than a week, stick a tender on it.
    It will last and be dependable.
    No need to throw money at a battery designed like a six pack.
    I'd rather take the difference and buy a few six packs.
    Be who you are and say what you feel 'cause people who mind don't matter, and people who matter don't mind.'
    -Nowhereman

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    You match the battery to the application, maintain it correctly, it will last for years and years.
    If you have access to the plates, use only distilled water.
    When it sits more than a week, stick a tender on it.
    It will last and be dependable.
    No need to throw money at a battery designed like a six pack.
    I'd rather take the difference and buy a few six packs.
    my man!!!! that's what I'm talking about

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Cool- this is why I ask people who know what's up. Thanks again

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

I use AC delco batterys in my car and truck, never had a problem with them. And as stated above they look and fit so much better.

Black
    2000 WS6

My car is a 2000 ws6.
    The oem battery went away two years ago.
    I dropped a nice Interstate in to her and have not had a single issue with it.
    Have an Interstate in my wife's Yukon,,,, no problems after years and it sits outside always.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

Had an optima red top for awhile and then it went dead, They are gel batteries and theres a certain way to charge them or they will not take a charge. I finally got rid of it and just got a battery at costco for 80 bucks. works great. But the best part is costco will refund all your money if the battery ever goes dead. At least they have in the past for me

Yes.
    bunch of them

I'm knocking on 10 years with two Red Tops, and multiple discharges and long term drains. I'll gladly pay up the >$200 to replace them as necessary.

I get the same usage from 7 year ACdelcos for half the cost.

I've got 2 delco's here now that are close to 10 years old. The previous delco's in those 2 cars lasted 11 and 12 years respectively. These cars sat during winter months, and had no trickle chargers on them. The old green eye's (if you remember those) were long gone after about 6 years, and they kept on working for years after.

Thread Information