Black
    2000 Z28 M6

opinions needed...

since the car is in storage right now, planning ahead for spring when i get it out... the shopping list is as follows with questions associated with each part..

*SLP bowtie grill (anywhere i can buy one cheaper than $200+?)
    *SLP intake lid (pretty set on buying this)
    *"MAC racing filter" (is this a quality item? its outragously cheap compared to the K & N equiv?)
    *Rotoworks rotors... (Drilled, Slotted, or drilled and slotted.. which is best?)
    *Hawk ceramic performance brake pads (good brake pads? anyone use them?)
    *SLP bilstein shocks...(theres the HD Bilstein shock package, and then the SLP bilstein package... which is better? do any of you use these?)
    *1.2" strano performance springs... (anyone use these..? seems like everyone wants these.. haha)

i am open to ideas.. so please voice your opinions..

to better help explain my situation.. i dont plan on taking it to a racetrack on a regular basis.. i just want a sporty aftermarket alternative compared to OEM parts... its even cheaper in some instances atleast

anyway thanks in advance

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I would suggest just getting a paper filter
    then later on if you wanna go nicer get an amsoil filter
    K&N is what i got, i like it but i would rather have an amsoil one
    Everything else looks good
    Not too sure about shocks, heard the HD shocks are pretty good

good luck

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by mammoth713 View Post
    since the car is in storage right now, planning ahead for spring when i get it out... the shopping list is as follows with questions associated with each part..

*"MAC racing filter" (is this a quality item? its outragously cheap compared to the K & N equiv?)
    *Rotoworks rotors... (Drilled, Slotted, or drilled and slotted.. which is best?)
    *SLP bilstein shocks...(theres the HD Bilstein shock package, and then the SLP bilstein package... which is better? do any of you use these?)
    *1.2" strano performance springs... (anyone use these..? seems like everyone wants these.. haha)

to better help explain my situation.. i dont plan on taking it to a racetrack on a regular basis.. i just want a sporty aftermarket alternative compared to OEM parts... its even cheaper in some instances atleast

anyway thanks in advance
    You won't find the bowtie grille cheaper than $200 anywhere so just pony up and buy it now

Look on several sites for a used SLP lid if you are dead set on one, most likely you can find a good used one for much cheaper than a new one.

Hawk makes great brake pads, always had good results with them.

The shocks and springs, make a post in the suspension forum for feedback on those.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    K&N is what i got, i like it but i would rather have an amsoil one
    ++1

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

which one are you referring to?

theres the 46144 filter for around $15 or the EAA83 filter for around $50

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

which one are you referring to?

theres the 46144 filter for around $15 or the EAA83 filter for around $50
    The EA one for 50
    been proven one of the best, talk to sarge and he'll tell you all about it

Junior Member jason_a_marzewski's Avatar

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

I really, really like the SLP Bowtie grill; I think that it brings the front of my car to a nice visual point.

I've also been delighted with my SLP Ultra-Z hood, as its strategic opening forces air right into the airbox, unlike the more circuitous intake on the SS hood.

Hawk makes excellent pads; I've used Hawk pads on my car exclusively for eight years.

My Bilstein HD shocks have been a wonderful addition to the car; they ride smoothly and really help to enhance the ride and my control of the vehicle. You can't go wrong with these shocks. (The difference in the SLP Bilstein shocks and the regular HDs is that the SLP offerings have been revalved for a slightly softer, more supple ride for the Camaro SS upgrade package. If the standard Camaro dampers are "good" and the Bilstein dampers are "best," the SLP Bilstein dampers are "better," or intermediate in terms of firmer, more aggressive performance.)

I really appreciate the quality and fit of my SLP airbox lid. I bought it, along with the SLP under-car ram air kit and smooth bellows, and could really feel the difference.

My K&N air filters have truly paid for themselves many times over: I've installed one each in my Camaro, my wife's Saturn Vie, my Dad's Dodge Ram diesel pickup truck, and my mom's Ford Windstar minivan (of all things).

I also urge you to consider purchasing a good set of sub frame connectors for your car, if you don't have any already. They'll hold your vehicle's unibody together. I have SLP's sub frame connectors and they're really great!

Rear lower control arms (also called trailing arms) will help your car launch straight and true. They're relatively inexpensive; consider these as well.

Lastly, check out UMI Performance; I bought several suspension components from that company a few years ago and, at the time, I paid a lot less than I would have if I had bought from other such companies as Hotchkis and BMR Engineering.

Good luck with your upgrades!
    Last edited by jason_a_marzewski; 11-17-2009 at 01:45 PM.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

thanks for the detailed review..

only thing. i was told the SLP bilsteins are actually more stiff than the HD ones.

but anyway have you used lowering springs of any sort?

i was considering getting the UMI front/rear sway bar kit and strut tower brace.. i dont really want to get into subframe connectors because they're weld in? and i figured the strut brace should help with stability?

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

I telephoned both SLP and Bilstein directly prior to the selection and installation of my dampers and representatives of both companies described their products just as I explained them to you. You may consider giving one or both companies a telephone call, just to verify that my information is accurate.

I selected SLP's bolt-in subframe connectors because I can't weld and I didn't want to contend with removing welded-on pieces when it was time to upgrade other components in the future. The bolt-on process couldn't have been easier: By the grace of God, I was able to complete the work in about 40 minutes by myself.

UMI makes awesome suspension components! I highly recommend the company's drag race/heavy duty rear sway bar. It's a robust addition to my car that actually helps fortify the rear axel and helps the car turn much more deftly.

- J@M

BRIGHT RALLY RED
    2002 CAMARO Z28RS

I've actually got a sort of "hybrid" suspension set-up: I've got Eibach Pro Kit springs on the front of the car and the factory springs on the rear.

I initially had Eibach springs installed at all four corners, but the rear springs dropped the back of the car so low that the front actually sat HIGHER than the rear and looked like one of those ridiculous pre-runner pickup trucks with their noses up in the air. The car handled poorly and rode very rough with the Eibach springs in the rear. And to make matters worse, it would bottom out when I loaded packages of any substance into the trunk. So I paid dearly to have them removed and the factory springs re-installed. And BOOM!!! That was the magic configuration for me! The car now has a very subtle -- and to my eyes very attractive -- sport rake and it handles like a surgical knife!

It squats nicely when I launch it in a straight line and doesn't bottom out when fully loaded with my photography gear.

I've heard a lot of positive things about Strano springs, and I know that the small company's offerings became wildy popular from the notoriety it received when a "GM High-Tech Permormance" editor wrote a feauture on the company's suspension products being installed on a fourth-gen Camaro, about a year-and-a-half ago.

- J@M

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The Ultra Z hood is what I'd like for my car too, but it's hard to find these days since it's no longer being made.

Quote Originally Posted by jason_a_marzewski View Post
    Click for full size

I really, really like the SLP Bowtie grill; I think that it brings the front of my car to a nice visual point.

I've also been delighted with my SLP Ultra-Z hood, as its strategic opening forces air right into the airbox, unlike the more circuitous intake on the SS hood.

Hawk makes excellent pads; I've used Hawk pads on my car exclusively for eight years.

My Bilstein HD shocks have been a wonderful addition to the car; they ride smoothly and really help to enhance the ride and my control of the vehicle. You can't go wrong with these shocks. (The difference in the SLP Bilstein shocks and the regular HDs is that the SLP offerings have been revalved for a slightly softer, more supple ride for the Camaro SS upgrade package. If the standard Camaro dampers are "good" and the Bilstein dampers are "best," the SLP Bilstein dampers are "better," or intermediate in terms of firmer, more aggressive performance.)

I really appreciate the quality and fit of my SLP airbox lid. I bought it, along with the SLP under-car ram air kit and smooth bellows, and could really feel the difference.

My K&N air filters have truly paid for themselves many times over: I've installed one each in my Camaro, my wife's Saturn Vie, my Dad's Dodge Ram diesel pickup truck, and my mom's Ford Windstar minivan (of all things).

I also urge you to consider purchasing a good set of sub frame connectors for your car, if you don't have any already. They'll hold your vehicle's unibody together. I have SLP's sub frame connectors and they're really great!

Rear lower control arms (also called trailing arms) will help your car launch straight and true. They're relatively inexpensive; consider these as well.

Lastly, check out UMI Performance; I bought several suspension components from that company a few years ago and, at the time, I paid a lot less than I would have if I had bought from other such companies as Hotchkis and BMR Engineering.

Good luck with your upgrades!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The Ultra Z hood is what I'd like for my car too, but it's hard to find these days since it's no longer being made.
    I'm one of the lucky ones that have one.

I'll trade my Ultra z for a decent s/c set-up. If I had a s/c I would put my stock hood back on.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

so do any of you run UMI sway bars? are they worth it?

or the cheap ~$50 UMI strut tower brace.. is this worth it? i would think it would be

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I've read and heard from people that the strut tower brace doesn't add that big of a difference unless you are like autocrossing. Not sure if it's true or not, just what I have heard.

I would get sub-frame connectors and lower control arms before I got a strut tower brace IMO.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

the slp lid sucks, dosen't fit right and rubs the hood.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

so do any of you run UMI sway bars? are they worth it?

or the cheap ~$50 UMI strut tower brace.. is this worth it? i would think it would be
    Wouldn't do a STB, not worth it unless you have spare cash and want a conversation piece. last thing i would do for suspension mods

Dont know about UMI, but strano makes some good sway bars
    Most people with them are very happy and go with a 35mm Front and 22mm Back setup. Plus they are supposed to save you a ton of weight.
    I would save a few extra bucks and buy those
    just my .02

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro 35thLE

Quote Originally Posted by mdcrabbie View Post
    the slp lid sucks, dosen't fit right and rubs the hood.
    You must have gotten an older model. The new one does not rub and fit is not grreat but better. As long as lip is behind factory air box it fastens right up.

Dark Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

anyway thanks in advance

I have an SLP intake lid and K&N filter... I like em! Must say I opened up the stock air filter tray as well to make it breath easier...
    I have EBC slotted and dimpled brakes with redstuff or greenstuff (not sure) pads. A big upgrade compared to stock.
    My 99 Z28 has the 17' 10 spoke SS wheels and together with the 1.2 Strano's (which I pickud up at Sam's on a holiday (there even is a little Youtube film of mine about his car on his site :-D)) and Koni 4/4 the car handles great! In stock form it was way to soft, now it's still comfortable, but handling has improves tremendously.
    I've chosen the Koni's because of their adjustability...

Matthijs Grit
    The Netherlands

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'd love to find one for my car.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    I'm one of the lucky ones that have one.

I'll trade my Ultra z for a decent s/c set-up. If I had a s/c I would put my stock hood back on.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

haha

Thread Information