Dark Red Metallic
    86 Regal

Opinion on 01 Z28

Test drove a pretty nice car today, 2001, 1 owner, 98 k miles. Overall very clean and well maintained.

My question - the owner stated the car needs plugs (that rear passenger side one looks like fun). The car ran and accelerated fairly well, car was pretty stock so about what I'd expect from a 300 WHP car.

There was a miss at idle - like every now and again, a cylinder just wouldn't fire. Kinda roughed up the idle.

My question is - IMO this does sound like a plug issue. Idle was buttery smooth (been driving a fast V6 too long- V8 idle is SMOOTH). Is there anything else more significant this could be?

I got a quote of about $250 for the plug job, which doesn't sound nuts. After seeing that one on the passenger side, sounds well worth it if it takes an hour or two.

Black
    1999 Mustang GT

Hmmm never worked on a Camaro, but plug wires and spark plugs are really easy to change.

Black on black.
    2001 WS6 M6 (stock)

Run the codes, do that 1 cylinder yourself, see if it fixes it. A bent or burnt valve will cause the same problem. BE SURE it is just a plug/wire.

Awaiting Activation
    you can do the plug change yourself. Yes #8 in the back is a bitch, but not worth $250 in my opinion. I wouldn't trust that the shop will bother trying to change #8. I have read about people pulling their plugs and #8 is a different one than the rest. Thus someone was lazy and didn't change them all cause it was a pain in the ass.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by jshilli1 View Post
    Test drove a pretty nice car today, 2001, 1 owner, 98 k miles. Overall very clean and well maintained.

My question - the owner stated the car needs plugs (that rear passenger side one looks like fun). The car ran and accelerated fairly well, car was pretty stock so about what I'd expect from a 300 WHP car.

There was a miss at idle - like every now and again, a cylinder just wouldn't fire. Kinda roughed up the idle.

My question is - IMO this does sound like a plug issue. Idle was buttery smooth (been driving a fast V6 too long- V8 idle is SMOOTH). Is there anything else more significant this could be?

I got a quote of about $250 for the plug job, which doesn't sound nuts. After seeing that one on the passenger side, sounds well worth it if it takes an hour or two.

if u got lots of $$$$$ let someone else do it....if not u can do some mods with $250

Red
    2000 Camaro SS

I am just finishing up buying a 2002 Z28 that may have been acting similar to the one you're driving.

I noticed a bit of a shudder on acceleration, worse the lower gear you are in (it's a 6-speed) and worse the harder you pushed it. Also, when I would be parked and hold it at 2K-3K it just wasn't quite right....

We took it to a dealership yesterday and it was a plugged fuel filter. Car only has 23,000 miles on it. They also ran injector cleaner thru it and now it runs at 100%.
    2000 Camaro SS
    1964 Chevelle SS
    1993 Silverado

https://home.comcast.net/~robs1973/index.html

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

Might try cleanin the mass air sensor too.
    98 SS. LS6 Intake, SLP Exhaust, PaceSetter Lt's, Smooth Bellow, SLP Cold Air, Aluminum Drive Shaft, Srut Tower Brace, Tubular Lower Control Arms.
    13.20@106

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The person selling the car should fix this problem!!! I would tell him to get it fixed before you agree to buy it!!!!!

Thread Information